C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starting challenge

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 AM
BlairG
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting challenge

I acquired a 1989 with 16,000 miles. It had not been driven for 2+ years and sat with ½ tank of fuel and probably no stabilizer. On initially starting the car ran rough so it was taken to a garage for a full tune-up, new fuel filter and draining of the gas tank.

Upon completion, the mechanic parked the car outside and turned it off. I got into the car and could not get it started. It was pushed back into the shop and as checked for a variety of potential failed tune-up components and none were found. The mechanic finally started it by using choke cleaner. Each time it was turned off, it would not start. The engine was hot, but within the normal range. The mechanic used a thermometer and found two injectors running hot and felt that they most probably had been clogged from sediment in the fuel tank, recommending the injectors be cleaned or replaced.

In reviewing various posts on the forum I decided to contact the Fuel Injection Connection. I was told the problem was the OE injectors were not designed to work with ethanol and needed to be replaced.

They were ordered and installed. The car started immediately (the engine was obviously cold). It ran relatively fine. The following day it again started immediately and was driven about 15 miles. It sat for approximately 1 ½ hours. There was a bit of a challenge in getting it to start, but once it did it ran fine.

Later that day it was driven about 30 miles. After siting about an hour it was impossible to start. Only after continued attempts and using choke cleaner would it run. Upon contacting the initial mechanic he concluded that the fuel filter had clogged and needed replacement.

The car was trucked to a Chevrolet dealer known to be proficient in the Corvette world. They replaced the fuel filter and encountered a problem starting the car once it had warmed up. They determined the problem was the fuel pump even though the initial mechanic reportedly tested it at 28 PSI. The dealership mechanic insisted his reading fluctuated, at times dropping to 10 PSI. I agreed to having a new fuel pump installed.

Once again, the car started when cold, but would not start once in had been running. Even after sitting at the dealership overnight they could not get the car to start. Their first diagnosis was that it needed new injectors – until I told them the injectors were new and that the starting problem wasn’t new. That’s where things are at the moment and the dealership has no idea where to turn. Hope you have some guidance.

Last edited by BlairG; 09-19-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

First off...the connection inside the fuel tank on the sending unit that allows power to get to the fuel pump can go bad and melt.

VERIFY that the fuel pressure is high (36-40psi) when you turn the key ON ...and HOLDS PRESSURE.

VERIFY that you have spark on more then ONE spark plug.

I am concerned that the fuel filter was not replaced when the injectors were being installed. which makes me wonder about the integrity of the fuel injectors. possibly doing a fuel injector balance test will be helpful. I know it has saved me gobbs of time when figuring out a no start issue.

Has scanner been used when the engine is running so important data can be read????

Stuck open EGR can do this. Bad IAC. Are the injectors even being told to pulse??? I am not here watching what is being done so I am throwing out 'ideas'.

DUB

Quick Reply: Starting challenge