C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Pellno1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting

Hi
Sometimes I get a clicking sound,sometimes I get a loud buzzing sound for about 30 seconds then sometimes it just starts on my 87 vet.When I get the clicking sound if I keep trying it will kick in and start.The loud buzzing sound is puzzling.This is on my 87.Battery is good,new starter about 2 years ago.

Thanks Jim
Old 05-03-2015, 12:56 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Pellno1
Hi
Sometimes I get a clicking sound,sometimes I get a loud buzzing sound for about 30 seconds then sometimes it just starts on my 87 vet.When I get the clicking sound if I keep trying it will kick in and start.The loud buzzing sound is puzzling.This is on my 87.Battery is good,new starter about 2 years ago.

Thanks Jim
Check your connections if good and still does it smack it with a hammer if works then get another starter
Old 05-04-2015, 03:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You have the symptoms of a bad connection between the battery and the starter. Check BOTH ends of the battery cables.

Sometimes a problem like this can be caused by bad contacts inside the starter solenoid.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:23 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You have the symptoms of a bad connection between the battery and the starter. Check BOTH ends of the battery cables.

Sometimes a problem like this can be caused by bad contacts inside the starter solenoid.

Sounds like a bad solenoid to me..if it were just a bad battery connection the engine would stumble intermittently and your lights, dash etc would flicker also.

Last edited by ricasso; 05-04-2015 at 04:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To starting

Quick Reply: starting