C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trackspec Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 05:14 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Trackspec Hood Vent

I decided to add a hood vent to the 91 in hopes to decrease under hood pressure that creates front lift and provide better cooling for the engine by decreasing under hood temps. I researched and come across these Trackspec Hood Vents. I installed a T1 Hood Vent for the C5 Corvette. They work perfect for the C4 hood as well. Everything you need comes in the kit. However, I did use stainless button head bolts with nylon lock nuts instead of rivets.
Attached Images    
Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

pic not showing up for me.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:32 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

ditto
Old 08-23-2015, 09:07 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by pologreen1
pic not showing up for me.
Originally Posted by BOOT77
ditto
Not sure why you guys cant see them but they are showing up for me on my laptop and my ipad. There are 3 pictures may just take a moment foe them to load on your device.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

They show up fine for me too.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:06 AM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can see them
Old 08-24-2015, 07:04 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I got nothing here
Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can see them.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:37 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe its a browser setting? I just see three x`s but if I right click and open in new window or tab I see them.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:56 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
Maybe its a browser setting? I just see three x`s but if I right click and open in new window or tab I see them.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:18 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

any change in how the car performs after the hood vent install?
Old 09-30-2015, 01:56 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I actually a rectangle opening in my hood in that same area. It was originally for a single-plane intake setup that is no longer on the car, so it's serving no purpose. I am contemplating patching it to make the hood look stock again, but this might another option.

Normally vents for this purpose are installed much further forward, and ideally the radiator's backside is ducted to the vent. But I'd be interested in some tufts being used on the OP's vents to determine if the air is really moving out from underneath the hood, vs back into the hood due to high pressure from the base of the windshield. Also, is there an option to attach this vet without rivets or bolts - i.e., bond it from underneath?
Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
any change in how the car performs after the hood vent install?
Yes. It does help exhaust hot air out. The engine temps keep a little cooler than before. And after each run with engine off, you can put your hand a foot above the vent and feel heat coming out.

In reference to where the vent is located; it is located directly in the center of the engine. The vent is centered over cylinders 4/6 and 3/5.

Matthew- air at the base of the windshield will not stahl back under the hood due to the hood seal that prevents that from happening. That is a stock piece that I still have on the car.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:32 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Matthew- air at the base of the windshield will not stahl back under the hood due to the hood seal that prevents that from happening. That is a stock piece that I still have on the car.
Gotcha. But to clarify, I was actually wondering if the high pressure at the base of the windshield migrates forward along the hood far enough to actually force air back through the vent you've installed in the hood. IOW, at high speed is the pressure under the hood higher than the pressure over it, such that the air is going out from under the hood rather than opposite? I am think it probably is, but would want to make sure. I might test this out on my own car soon just to see.

One other question: what about rain? Is there any issue with rain coming in there when the car is just sitting still outside?

All of this is me just contemplating how to deal with the hole in my hood. I don't want it there, but I also don't want to deal with the body work required to properly patch and repaint it. Your vent idea might be a really good solution.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:07 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Gotcha. But to clarify, I was actually wondering if the high pressure at the base of the windshield migrates forward along the hood far enough to actually force air back through the vent you've installed in the hood. IOW, at high speed is the pressure under the hood higher than the pressure over it, such that the air is going out from under the hood rather than opposite? I am think it probably is, but would want to make sure. I might test this out on my own car soon just to see.

One other question: what about rain? Is there any issue with rain coming in there when the car is just sitting still outside?

All of this is me just contemplating how to deal with the hole in my hood. I don't want it there, but I also don't want to deal with the body work required to properly patch and repaint it. Your vent idea might be a really good solution.
My car rarely sits outside. Normally it is in the garage or in the trailer. However, at Nationals it was left outside the trailer and one night it rains hard. There was a little water puddled in the valleys of the intake, but nothing too bad. It evaporated off after 10min of the car running. When I wash the car I just put my chamois over the vent to keep water out. If your car has to sit outside you could make something to cover it. 👍
The following users liked this post:
MatthewMiller (10-02-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Trackspec Hood Vent

Quick Reply: Trackspec Hood Vent