C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:17 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
the gov cap is definately not pushed in in the centre of the cap? that stops the gov from spinning at the right speed.
That punch mark is an adjustment. Governor should have about 1/4" pf end play or less. That dent controls governor end play.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:19 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

If the plastic gear on the governor isn't broken, (
Old 10-02-2015, 04:28 PM
corvetebob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
If the plastic gear on the governor isn't broken, (
Both the stock one & the new one, the gear is not broken or stripped.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:35 PM
corvetebob
Advanced

Originally Posted by knikula
Around $40 will get you a pressure gauge , I'd guess your control pressures aren't high enough to cause the transmission to shift. So it could be pump related, or some seal blown, tranny filter plugged, etc.

When I bought my pressure gauge, it said everything was OK, pressure wise. My trans had a broken 2-4 band. I get the feeling our tranny problems are completely different because of the way yours failed.

It's worth buying/borrowing somebody's pressure gauge, but it sounds like that tranny will be coming out for a rebuild.

The ATSG manual has a list of complaint/cause/ remedy
section, and would be a good place to start.

Have you dropped the pan yet to see what's in it?

This whole process depends how deep you want to get into it. If you are willing to try to rebuild the trans, it's a good learning experience.
Transmission bench and Hiram Gutieerz have some good rebuild videos on Youtube.

I'm happy with the results on my rebuild so far, I was planning on just buying another used trans if my rebuild didn't work. I have more time than money for this kind of stuff.

Some folks really don't want to break off all of their exhaust studs, get tranny fluid everywhere, rusty bits in your eyes, etc.

Good luck.

Ken
I figure I might have to do the rebuild & yes I wanted it to be a learning experience.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:08 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvetebob
Both the stock one & the new one, the gear is not broken or stripped.
Then it's not the governor. Likely debris in the controls. Probably looking at a rebuild.

You know, if you get a competent guy to do this, they can upgrade your 85 trans quite a bit for not a lot of additional money.

All the good 4L60E parts will retro back to that trans. Srsly, it's worth doing. If you want it, even the newer 5 pinion planet will retro too.

Further: I don't know what your stall is and I'm not even sure what they came with right now, but it's an opportunity for a factory HS converter too, if you don't already have one.

(I think mine is a BU18HS.. 20 something stall. For no more money than any other stock replacement converter.)

Last edited by confab; 10-03-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:41 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetebob
I figure I might have to do the rebuild & yes I wanted it to be a learning experience.
right on. hes not kidding about the exhaust studs lol. i dropped my exhaust and broke two. then tried to remove my catback and broke two of thise. im now a master in reaming, tapping and helicoil installs lol. a good skill to have as i have saved other pieces of equipment since then with the same skillset.

i didnt realize that the tranny was slowly going on u with 4th then 3,2. A governor if stuck would just be stuck and it would be weird for it to go in a way that slowly blocked out the gears in that way i would think. anyway, sounds like its pan drop time. u should see some debris.

edit: i ALSO stripped 2 holes in my tranny pan. its aluminum. do not mess around with the torque ratings for thise. do not exceed. if the bolts look like they already have aluminim bits on them when u take them out, be prepped to strip and replace next time as the factory torque will probably strip them if they are already comprimised. the po on my 87 did that. more helicoil to the rescue. u will need an inch pound torque wrench they are about 20$.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 10-03-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:23 PM
dhartwell
1st Gear

Default 4l60e Transmission problem

Does it work in rev? If not it sounds like a broken reaction sun shell or a stripped reaction sun gear. This is a common problem with the 4L60E.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dhartwell
Does it work in rev? If not it sounds like a broken reaction sun shell or a stripped reaction sun gear. This is a common problem with the 4L60E.
When you break the sun shell, the car shifts fine because the pressures are fine. You know you broke it because 2nd, 4th and Reverse suddenly stop working.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:59 PM
corvetebob
Advanced

Originally Posted by dhartwell
The tranny does work in reverse.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:08 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Where are you located?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I'm about 45 minutes out of Cincy. I'd love to do it for you, but if you're going to do it yourself and you need any tech support, PM me.

Transmissions can be confusing.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 PM
corvetebob
Advanced

Originally Posted by confab
I'm about 45 minutes out of Cincy. I'd love to do it for you, but if you're going to do it yourself and you need any tech support, PM me.

Transmissions can be confusing.
Thanks for the offer & I would love to take you up on it, however I live in Appleton, WI

Quick Reply: Transmission Issues