C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

power steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:53 PM
bcbcline
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering noise

So I noticed a power steering leak so I went and bought a bottle of Lucas power steering fluid leak stop. I filled my reservoir with about a quarter to a half of this stuff and topped the rest off with new power steering fluid but now I have a problem where something is grinding and screeching every time I turn my wheel, so I flushed out the leak stop fluid and refilled my reservoir to the "cold full" line and STILL the problem persists. Please help me! -Brandon
Old 10-03-2015, 05:06 PM
bcbcline
3rd Gear

Default Reply

could it possibly be air bubbles/ air in the system. Maybe let it sit over night and let small air bubbles form to large ones and try turning the wheel tomorrow wheel lock to wheel lock?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine is very whining every time i turn wheel over 1700 rpm , most likely it need a replacement...

anyway till work i won't to replace mine

Though My 2007 dodge nitro has a PS pump that makes some noise when turn wheel

To drain air in system pull up front end, like ramps, remove reservoir cap, and move wheels from lock to lock

Last edited by Christi@n; 10-03-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:26 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Trapped air. Raise the front end so the tires are off the ground. This makes it easier to turn the wheel. Now crank the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine off. After a few cycles check the fluid level. With the engine started turn the wheel slowly lock to lock. If the noise has stopped go for a test drive. If not repeat until those air bubbles are chased out.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM
bcbcline
3rd Gear

Default JrRifleCoach

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Trapped air. Raise the front end so the tires are off the ground. This makes it easier to turn the wheel. Now crank the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine off. After a few cycles check the fluid level. With the engine started turn the wheel slowly lock to lock. If the noise has stopped go for a test drive. If not repeat until those air bubbles are chased out.
Awesome man I appreciate it so much thank you!!

Get notified of new replies

To power steering noise

Quick Reply: power steering noise