C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 AC Quit

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:28 PM
21boy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 86 AC Quit

Was working fine, then over a few months it slowly lost cool air and now it stopped working. I have a replacement coolant but didn't want to add more then it needed because I know that can ruin your system.

My pressure is within "green" PSI range when I connect the bottle to get a reading.

Also heard clicking coming from the compressor for a few seconds when I last had it on.

No clue how to proceed, when I bought it the previous owner had put in a new compressor and it worked great, less then a year ago.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:00 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

spit in the valves and look for bubbles sound like your low on freon. don't believe the idiot gauge. valves can be replaced without looseing freon.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 12-11-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
Your A/C buttons will help with a simple diagnosis:

Push and hold the fan up, and fan down buttons, until a number (code) is displayed.
See codes definitions in link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWIrT8tN-a8
it's an 86
Old 12-11-2015, 08:55 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 21boy
Was working fine, then over a few months it slowly lost cool air and now it stopped working. I have a replacement coolant but didn't want to add more then it needed because I know that can ruin your system.

My pressure is within "green" PSI range when I connect the bottle to get a reading.

Also heard clicking coming from the compressor for a few seconds when I last had it on.

No clue how to proceed, when I bought it the previous owner had put in a new compressor and it worked great, less then a year ago.
You really need a set of gauges ($60).

But your pressure reading is only valid if the compressor is running. If it is clicking, the compressor may not be engaged. If the compressor is not running because the Freon (charge) is so low, then you might only be reading static pressure of the system.

If the compressor is not running and the fat pipe is not cold, you might not have to bypass the cycling switch the get the compressor to run. Then you can get Freon in the system to the point where you can remove the bypass and let the system cycle. If you can get it to cycle somewhat normal, then you can add Freon if necessary to a normal pressure and cycling.

In the end, you may just need a Freon charge.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:04 PM
21boy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
You really need a set of gauges ($60).

But your pressure reading is only valid if the compressor is running. If it is clicking, the compressor may not be engaged. If the compressor is not running because the Freon (charge) is so low, then you might only be reading static pressure of the system.

If the compressor is not running and the fat pipe is not cold, you might not have to bypass the cycling switch the get the compressor to run. Then you can get Freon in the system to the point where you can remove the bypass and let the system cycle. If you can get it to cycle somewhat normal, then you can add Freon if necessary to a normal pressure and cycling.

In the end, you may just need a Freon charge.
How would you bypass the cycling switch?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by 21boy
How would you bypass the cycling switch?
You want to bypass the low pressure switch. It keeps the compressor from running if there is little or no freon in the system.

You unplug the connector on the switch and jumper the two contacts in the connector.

I think I got too close when I took the picture. It loses context:

Get notified of new replies

To 86 AC Quit

Quick Reply: 86 AC Quit