C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 Evaporator Core Replacement - Gearing up

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 10:00 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Default 1994 Evaporator Core Replacement - Gearing up

I thought I was done for a while after doing the EGR problems, 2 idler pulleys, VSI, T- Pan gasket, valve cover gaskets and O2s. However now I have a leak in the evaporator, found it with dye, and of course where else would it be.

AC still works but just want to get everything together for when I'm ready like parts as well and any additional information I may need to know. Have all the AC tools and such and a pretty good understanding of what got to come apart. I would think the system has never been opened.

Questions:
I see evaporators for $50 and up thru $200. What should I be spending and watch out for (brand?).
Do I need to measure the oil in the evaporator and put same amount in the new one.
Do I need to replace the Dryer (guess I do) and add oil for it.
Do I need to replace the expansion valve at this time.
Are there any additional seals, gaskets or foam I may need.
Are there any other pieces of information I may need to know that I have not thought of.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:15 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

OK so here is where I am.

The evaporator, accumulator and orifice tube is going to be replaced.

Only 2 questions left.

My research shows to use Pag-150 oil. Is this correct?
The tag under the hood original part number is 12345923 oil whish is no longer available. I think this is the correct cross as the information is confusing but won't go into it.

Any suggested manufacture brands of the evaporator?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:51 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I got a new evap from rock auto, 4 seasons, I think. Haven't installed it yet, but it looks good. Seems well made.

can't help on the oil.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:00 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

I have my evaporator and accumlator picked out which are 4 seasons and on the way.

This is one of the most perplexing, confusing and discussed problems I have seen on Pag oil and nobody really knows what oil to use or in agreement. Been at this couple weeks.

I am not the first who has run into this as there are many write ups on this in detail. I have been on the C4 and C5 Forums as well some Chevy, A/C and internet forums. Spoken with ACDelco help, local Chevy dealership, A/C shop, a corvette shop and a couple mechanics who's opinion I value. I will try to summarize this in short and provide a few links. None I spoke with was in real agreement. 4 Seasons tech support said to go with synthetic Pag-150 because it is the original oil and the compressor is not being replaced.

The tag under the hood says use 12345923 synthetic oil or equivalent oil. The "Denso compressor tag" says 10PA & says use ND-8 oil (Pag-46) but the additional sticker on compressor (GM) on it says use 12345923 oil.

The 12345923 is discontinued but is believed to be a synthetic Pag-150 oil. ND-8 is a Pag-46 oil. Dealers use 88901445 (10-5026) & 12378526 which are Pag-46 oils. The GM dealers are only using this no matter what year you bring in. There are FSBs on this.

Here is 3 links that can further explain the confusion and better said than I. There are many more links but adds to the confusion.

http://www.autoacforum.com/messagevi...threadid=18122

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-r134a.html

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refri...ties/chevrolet

If you have 12345923 and are adding oil to the existing system, these are the important items to be considered. The oil 12345923 is a Pag-150 and a synthetic oil. So if you are going to add oil to the system you need 12345923 or a pag-150 synthetic.

If you replace compressor and the other items and flush the system, then you can go with the newer oil, (pag-46 equivalents) which lubricate better than the older oils (so I have been told).

BTW - I have found if you want to pay the bucks, you can find every oil GM used in the past and present as well as the replacement oils can be found on the internet and EBay.

So looks like I have done full circle. My choice is buy the 12345923 for $21(seller gave me a break $4) or buy the synthetic Pag-150 for about $10 for a 8 oz?

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Evaporator Core Replacement - Gearing up

Quick Reply: 1994 Evaporator Core Replacement - Gearing up