C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984-1989 1.5 DIN Car Computer project

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:37 AM
fparkin
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

could get a mod to make this a sticky on top of forum so we can find it easier
plus we need to setup a donate site to help fund this we chip in 5 or 10 dollar a piece maybe he make few kits so people like me can attempt this

Last edited by fparkin; 09-09-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Z51BOB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Good idea! Getting a few of us together could sure cut the cost of an oem looking front overlay.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by fparkin
could get a mod to make this a sticky on top of forum so we can find it easier
plus we need to setup a donate site to help fund this we chip in 5 or 10 dollar a piece maybe he make few kits so people like me can attempt this
I would donate.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

Default BOSE Wiring Information

FYI: I just posted some information on how the wiring harness in our cars is set up for the BOSE head unit.

You can find it here: Wiring Harness

It may be useful to anyone trying to upgrade their BOSE system.

-Wes

Last edited by LWesthaver; 08-09-2019 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fparkin (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Wes - back in your post #28, you showed a good video of testing your Bose speakers with an iPod. I would like to do the same toto mine as this car came with a Bose system but a non-Bose headunit. Surprise - no sound from speakers! Can you detail what kind of connector you used between the iPod and the blue connector? I watched the video a couple of times and couldn't see how your alligator-clip wires tied in.

Matt
Old 09-16-2018, 02:08 AM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt81
Wes - back in your post #28, you showed a good video of testing your Bose speakers with an iPod. I would like to do the same toto mine as this car came with a Bose system but a non-Bose headunit. Surprise - no sound from speakers! Can you detail what kind of connector you used between the iPod and the blue connector? I watched the video a couple of times and couldn't see how your alligator-clip wires tied in.

Matt
Matt,

I had a 1/8" Male to Female stereo extension cable laying around and I cut the female end off exposing the Right audio, Left audio and Ground wires. Then I used clip leads to attach the wires to the cars wiring harness. What you saw in that video was the iPod driving the rear speakers through the Blue plug. I also tested the front speakers using the White plug but that was not shown in the video.

If you want to drive both the front and back speakers at the same time you'll need to split the left and right channels coming out of the iPod and attach them to the left and right audio inputs of the Blue and White plugs. Likewise, you'll need to split the Ground from the iPod and connect to the Common in both the Blue and White Plugs.

You can find the exact pin-outs of the Blue and White plugs on my web site here: Wiring Harness

I would suggest that you get a wiring harness adapter and a 1/8" Male to Female stereo extension cable like the ones shown on my Components Page and build a more permanent setup than using clip leads. That way you can avoid having to modify your car's wiring harness.

Also, you will have to provide 12 volts to connector C2 (black connector with pink wire) to turn ON the BOSE speaker amplifiers. You can get that from the Black plug, YELLOW, Pin F. The yellow wire is hot only when the ignition is in ACCESSORY or RUN position.

You will want to get the left and right channels from the iPod connected in the correct orientation to the car so here's a picture to help you:

If you have any doubt about which wire belongs to the tip, ring or sleeve, a continuity check with a voltmeter will answer that question.

When everything is connected you can use some MP3 stereo test files to make sure it's all wired correctly. You can download the test files from my website.

I hope this helps.
-Wes

Last edited by LWesthaver; 08-09-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Matt81 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Matt
I'd be willing to bet that whoever installed the aftermarket unit disconnected the Bose amplifiers. They're right next to the speakers-it would be worth it to take a look. If they're not there, you'll just have to do something else to amplify the sound (You can do that pretty easily by tearing into a small amplifier...
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Wes - thanks for the GREAT info! Amazon dropped off a 3.5mm extension cable that I used per your instructions. Rear speakers work great. Front speakers - only a little sound from the right side. My guess is either have a bad connection or amp on driver side. Need to do work in the door anyway, so easy to check out

Separate question about your Comvette setup. Does the Pricom mixer have outputs for both front and rear? I couldn't tell from reading the description on their website.

curious minds want to know!
Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 AM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Wes - thanks for the GREAT info! Amazon dropped off a 3.5mm extension cable that I used per your instructions. Rear speakers work great. Front speakers - only a little sound from the right side. My guess is either have a bad connection or amp on driver side. Need to do work in the door anyway, so easy to check out

Separate question about your Comvette setup. Does the Pricom mixer have outputs for both front and rear? I couldn't tell from reading the description on their website.

curious minds want to know!
Matt,

I'm glad you found the info helpful.

The Pricom mixer has 4 stereo inputs and one stereo output. So, no it doesn't have separate outputs for front and rear. My setup takes the stereo output of the Pricom mixer and feeds it into both the front and rear speaker amplifiers.

I'm having a similar issue with my front left amp/speaker. It is very low volume and makes a squealing noise. I suspect it needs to have the electrolytic capacitors replaced. Since I need to repair one, I'll probably rebuild the amps/speakers in both doors at the same time.

-Wes
Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Today I finally released my Comvette Infotainment software into the wild. If you are interested in building a Raspberry Pi based car computer infotainment system for your 1984-1989 Corvette that integrates both physically and aesthetically into your car without dash-hacking, take a few minutes and visit:

The Comvette Project

and download a ready-made Raspberry Pi image and/or the Xojo source code from the software page.This is a DIY project but I am happy to provide guidance if you decide to build a system for yourself.

-Wes

Last edited by LWesthaver; 08-09-2019 at 05:37 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by LWesthaver:
convas (04-21-2019), kael (04-22-2019), knikula (04-22-2019), Red 91 (06-03-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Z51BOB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks. I finally got a chance to get back to this project today - the link doesn't seem to work.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:32 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

I've updated the Comvette website with some new pictures of the Comvette chassis:

Comvette chassis

The pictures should give you a better idea of what is behind the dashboard with the Comvette head unit.

-Wes

Comvette chassis

Last edited by LWesthaver; 08-09-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:36 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z51BOB
Thanks. I finally got a chance to get back to this project today - the link doesn't seem to work.
As luck would have it, you tried to access the website while it was down. This morning I found the website crashed. Turns out that some a55holes from China launched an attack against my server and managed to crash it.

It's back up now.

-Wes
Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Default Comvette Chassis Cut-Files are now available

I just posted the .SVG Cut-files for the Base-Plate, Face-Plate and Overlay if you are interested in making your own Comvette chassis:

Comvette Chassis Cut-Files

The links are near the bottom of the page.

-Wes

Last edited by LWesthaver; 08-09-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:55 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty jazzed! My Comvette Project (diy BOSE head unit replacement) was featured on the Ponoko.com website today:

Spot The Laser Cut Parts In This Car

I think they did a nice job of describing the project.

-Wes

Last edited by LWesthaver; 06-10-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:53 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Is there any chance that you would be able to offer a chassis kit? With the great instructions and parts list I have no problem thinking that I could build one of these and I totally plan to. But, unfortunately I do not have any means to use the design files and laser cut the chassis parts to make them look professional. If you ever do build a kit for that sign me up for one please.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:18 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slow-vette
Is there any chance that you would be able to offer a chassis kit?
I am thinking about offering the custom made parts for sale on my website (like the acrylic chassis pieces). I'm leaning towards offering a pre-assembled Comvette head unit which would include the acrylic chassis, volume control & ****, USB jack, touch-screen, and cables. This assembly would simply plug into your car's existing wiring harness.

You would still need to provide the parts to drive the head unit like a Raspberry Pi, and other peripherals.

-Wes
3D-Aircrew (06-11-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 1984-1989 1.5 DIN Car Computer project

Old 06-10-2019, 03:20 PM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Sign me up. I would be very interested if you put together a kit like this. I would have no issues getting the PI and other parts and working with the software. Thanks

Originally Posted by LWesthaver
I am thinking about offering the custom made parts for sale on my website (like the acrylic chassis pieces). I'm leaning towards offering a pre-assembled Comvette head unit which would include the acrylic chassis, volume control & ****, USB jack, touch-screen, and cables. This assembly would simply plug into your car's existing wiring harness.

You would still need to provide the parts to drive the head unit like a Raspberry Pi, and other peripherals.

-Wes
LWesthaver (06-19-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default me also

Originally Posted by slow-vette
Is there any chance that you would be able to offer a chassis kit? With the great instructions and parts list I have no problem thinking that I could build one of these and I totally plan to. But, unfortunately I do not have any means to use the design files and laser cut the chassis parts to make them look professional. If you ever do build a kit for that sign me up for one please.
I am also in for a kit. thanks, Gary
LWesthaver (06-19-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 PM
fparkin
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

I am in for a kit
LWesthaver (06-19-2019)

Quick Reply: 1984-1989 1.5 DIN Car Computer project