C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 base idle setting

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:40 PM
v8inmk2
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 89 base idle setting

Hi, my 89 6speed car has a rough idle problem for a long time. and when I try to set the base idle, it won't idle after I jump the pinA and pinB, and disconnect the IAC. I try to adjust the idle screw, but don't work. Anybody know why I can't set the base idle? the engine has just been rebuilt and the wire is new. Thanks
Old 03-12-2017, 10:48 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

It could be a lot of things, but my first guess would be a vacuum leak.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by v8inmk2
Hi, my 89 6speed car has a rough idle problem for a long time. and when I try to set the base idle, it won't idle after I jump the pinA and pinB, and disconnect the IAC. I try to adjust the idle screw, but don't work. Anybody know why I can't set the base idle? the engine has just been rebuilt and the wire is new. Thanks
The engine has been rebuilt but did you clean the TB? I clean the TB by removing it and then taking the top plate off, the IAC and the IAC housing and then clean the passages. After that, I run the car till it is hot, shut everything but the motor off and check it with IAC counts.

What exactly do you mean by "but don't work"? The basic problem with the way you are setting it is that it will ASSUME much, know little. Is your timing correct? Are you having air leaks? Is the tach right?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:43 PM
v8inmk2
Advanced

Originally Posted by aklim
The engine has been rebuilt but did you clean the TB? I clean the TB by removing it and then taking the top plate off, the IAC and the IAC housing and then clean the passages. After that, I run the car till it is hot, shut everything but the motor off and check it with IAC counts.

What exactly do you mean by "but don't work"? The basic problem with the way you are setting it is that it will ASSUME much, know little. Is your timing correct? Are you having air leaks? Is the tach right?
I just rebuild the TB, and my scan tool won't communicate with the computer, so I don't know the counts. timing is 6 BTDC, tach is right, the guy works on my car said there is no air leaks, but I don't know how to check.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I just rebuild the TB, and my scan tool won't communicate with the computer, so I don't know the counts. timing is 6 BTDC, tach is right, the guy works on my car said there is no air leaks, but I don't know how to check.
I generally don't like to use a smoke machine because you can miss small puffs. I use a Snap On MT2500 or a Auto X-ray. So if you are hot and everything is off, you are looking for 30 IAC counts, give or take a few. IF it is lower than 30, it means the computer is seeing that it has more air than it needs and hence it closes up the "air leak" which is the IAC. I turn the screw out, rev and repeat. I keep doing it till I get target counts or the screw is all the way out. If so, there is a leak somewhere.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:52 PM
v8inmk2
Advanced

Originally Posted by aklim
I generally don't like to use a smoke machine because you can miss small puffs. I use a Snap On MT2500 or a Auto X-ray. So if you are hot and everything is off, you are looking for 30 IAC counts, give or take a few. IF it is lower than 30, it means the computer is seeing that it has more air than it needs and hence it closes up the "air leak" which is the IAC. I turn the screw out, rev and repeat. I keep doing it till I get target counts or the screw is all the way out. If so, there is a leak somewhere.
Thanks! I have a red devil ALDL to USB cable and software, have you heard of that?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Thanks! I have a red devil ALDL to USB cable and software, have you heard of that?
ALDL to USB, yes. Not sure what software you are using but if it cannot communicate, is the baud rate correct? Some have mentioned that. Not sure. Mine that I use rarely enough I have to relearn it whenever I do seems to work just fine.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:02 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Some of the Red Devil River cables were not wired correctly for Corvettes. The cable expects data to come out on pin M instead of pin E. I know they rewired a cable for at least one guy. Call them and see what they say.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 base idle setting

Quick Reply: 89 base idle setting