C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:27 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
If you have the invoice, send it to Bilstein. I did. I have $200 apiece FX3 shocks and they threw them away and sent me 2 new ones when one of the front was leaking after 10 years. Another Bilstein failed in 6 months but oil from the crankcase was blowing on it. My fault. They replaced it too.
How does crankcase oil kill a shock?
Old 04-02-2017, 11:06 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

While I like the Bilsteins, and put them on the last 2 cars, they are expensive.

When comparing other brands, KYB may be one of the better ones.

They are what they are. They are softer ride than the OEM or aftermarket Bilsteins, but that is what some people like. They are certainly way better than any worn out shock and better than many of the cheap ones. Bilsteins are noted for lasting a long time and have a great warranty. While KYB's may not be as good, I expect they will last a quite a while.

I bought a C4 that has KYB's on it and they seem OK. They are a softer shock than my other car with Bilsteins and I like a firmer shock, but they work fine and give a good ride.

For other reasons, I would not buy KYB's though. I was an engineer for a car manufacturer and we had problems with some KYB shocks. I spent several weeks at a KYB plant trying to improve their process and controls. The company's commitment to maintain the controls was poor and they repeated some of the same errors resulting in defective shocks. Over several months I witnessed their continued failure to control their known problems. Until they were forced by our company's on site monitoring to control their processes they did not.

That was over 25 years ago, so I doubt that any of the same people or processes are being used, so hopefully they have improved. However, I still have a bad taste from working with them so probably would not buy their products.

Good luck with the shocks, and I hope they work well for you. Mine are still OK.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:25 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
While I like the Bilsteins, and put them on the last 2 cars, they are expensive.

When comparing other brands, KYB may be one of the better ones.

They are what they are. They are softer ride than the OEM or aftermarket Bilsteins, but that is what some people like. They are certainly way better than any worn out shock and better than many of the cheap ones. Bilsteins are noted for lasting a long time and have a great warranty. While KYB's may not be as good, I expect they will last a quite a while.

I bought a C4 that has KYB's on it and they seem OK. They are a softer shock than my other car with Bilsteins and I like a firmer shock, but they work fine and give a good ride.

For other reasons, I would not buy KYB's though. I was an engineer for a car manufacturer and we had problems with some KYB shocks. I spent several weeks at a KYB plant trying to improve their process and controls. The company's commitment to maintain the controls was poor and they repeated some of the same errors resulting in defective shocks. Over several months I witnessed their continued failure to control their known problems. Until they were forced by our company's on site monitoring to control their processes they did not.

That was over 25 years ago, so I doubt that any of the same people or processes are being used, so hopefully they have improved. However, I still have a bad taste from working with them so probably would not buy their products.

Good luck with the shocks, and I hope they work well for you. Mine are still OK.
Mine are "ok" too I guess but the only thing I can compare them too is the old sensatracs the po had in them.

Is your other car a z51 or hd suspension?

I always remember hearing and reading the springs made the car bounce the shocks were to control or limit the bounce. Corvettes are quite a different animal in so many ways but I think it should be true still.

What Im wondering is when I drive mine it definitely feels more bouncy as if it didn't have much bounce at all before installing the kyb`s so maybe the old ones were broke or damaged.

The feel I get is theres a little too much bounce (maybe the shock travel) it feels like it could be.

Since this one is still going thought I would go ahead and `take it there`

Last edited by ToniJ1960; 04-02-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

KYB's have been just fine on my 86 non Z51 car for the past few years. Still rails curves. It's always amusing when those who've never used something always have the biggest opinions. Lol.
If it was a Z car or if I tracked or auto crossed then I'd get something better. Mines just a cruiser.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:52 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I've never used KYBs on a corvette so I won't speak to that.

But KYBs are not a junk brand. Toyota uses them to build OEM shocks. When my MR2 needed replacements I bought KYBs to replace the OEMs, still working great.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Put another 30 miles on my car today and satisfied with my KYBs.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
How does crankcase oil kill a shock?
From what I did, the crankcase was vented to the exhaust pipe so it wouldn't get sucked back into the air track which messes up the intercooler boots and oils up the track. When the truck is running, you can see a constant cloud of smoke coming from the hose. It was sent to the exhaust but it came loose and the engine was venting onto the shock. I found it and cleaned off the shock by removing the top cover and spraying it down with brake cleaner and wiped off the shaft. Didn't help. I suspect the oil fumes messed up the seals since the continued to leak and when compressed, wouldn't decompress for about a minute or so.

Why THAT particular one that had fumes on it and not the others? They were less than a year old. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:46 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by belairbrian
But KYBs are not a junk brand. Toyota uses them to build OEM shocks.
That is kinda the usual thought. Along with the line of "If it comes from the same factory but different box, the item is the same, just different packaging.". Yes and no. Depending on what the private label conditions are. It can be built to the same spec or not.

Bilstein FX3 shocks. If they come on the car, it goes under the Manufacturer's warranty. IF you buy the yellow ones, it is under Bilstein. Simply put, Black ones are whatever GM warranties them to be, Yellow, lifetime.

Another example. I had a rainsensor on my W140. Broke the glass and they replaced it with an OE replacement. Rain sensor wouldn't work. We tested the sensor and nothing helped. They changed it to the one with the 3 pointed star and life was good. Supposedly same factory, different box. I suspect different spec and tolerance.

I do private labeling. Some are higher amounts of the "good stuff" and some more fillers. What did you pay for is my question?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

A few years ago I bought a set of Ford Racing adjustable struts for my Mustang. Guess what Tokico stamped all over them. Oh and btw More than 2 1/2 times the price as a set of Bilsteins shocks lol!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
A few years ago I bought a set of Ford Racing adjustable struts for my Mustang. Guess what Tokico stamped all over them. Oh and btw More than 2 1/2 times the price as a set of Bilsteins shocks lol!
Not sure what it means to have Tokiko stamped on it. Does it mean same as OE except in a Tokiko box or different spec? As to whether it is the same price a Bilstein, different shock, different price. Hard to say

Quick Reply: Shocks