C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Doug Nash 4+3 O/D Kaput

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Nicksvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doug Nash 4+3 O/D Kaput

so, i was driving my corvette the other day and i noticed while in 2nd, overdrive on, as i applied gas it would start to slip pretty bad so i went easy on it and it worked until yesterday when i felt it just give and now the car operates as if its never in overdrive but the car will claim its in overdrive in say 4th gear around 50 i can be cruising without putting any gas and it will hover at ~1200rpm, the moment i give it gas it won't accelerate at all until i hit the rpm at which 4th gear would normally start to kick in without overdrive at which point the car will accelerate as usual. if i give it 100% gas it says it drops out of overdrive but it never actually changes from gear. so, should i order a o/d clutch rebuild kit or is something else potentially an issue? i just tested reverse and it seems to work normally.

Last edited by Nicksvette; 03-30-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: forgot the main question
Old 03-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Nicksvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the answer, so do I need to purchase a o/d clutch rebuild kit and one of those kent moore automatic transmission clutch pack spring compressors? Are there any other tips or things i might need to get the job done?

Last edited by Nicksvette; 03-30-2017 at 08:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BV85 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicksvette
Thanks for the answer, so do I need to purchase a o/d clutch rebuild kit and one of those kent moore automatic transmission clutch pack spring compressors? Are there any other tips or things i might need to get the job done?
You don't need the tool. You can make up a rod with a couple of large washers. Frankly, I would not remove the pressure plate, you can clean it all up very easily. There is little to gain by taking the direct clutch pressure plate out. Of course if you see signs of a broken spring then pull it down. I recommend you get a service manual or look up an 4/3 article by David Fulcher. Getting hard parts may be a problem.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:46 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

subbed for the fix and results!

Get notified of new replies

To Doug Nash 4+3 O/D Kaput

Quick Reply: Doug Nash 4+3 O/D Kaput