C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant Boiling Over

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:49 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
You don't want the radiator at the highest point. The cap needs to be at the highest point....which it already is on an LT1 car, with the car sitting on level ground.
This is true. My LT1 purged itself after doing a full flush. The recovery tank needed to be topped off after a few heat cycles. Also a tiny bit of air came out of the brass bleeder screw, so little that I could have left it and never noticed a difference.

However if there's some reason air is being trapped in the system, I can see how lifting the front *could* help to get the air forward into the radiator and then into the surge tank as in post #17. This should not be necessary but there appears to be another problem in the OP's system...? The LT1 self-purge is not working for him.

Is it possible to install the thermostat upside down?

Last edited by DGXR; 04-20-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Mike78
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to provide closure to this thread. Thank you everyone for your help and input!

Luckily it was not a head gasket. I finally discovered a small crack starting to form near the middle of the radiator, which, though problematic, was not the major issue. The problem turned out to be the drive shaft for the water pump. It had become warn and was slipping so much that although some coolant circulated, it was not enough to keep the engine cool. I replaced the part, topped off the coolant, bled the system, and everything has been running perfectly ever since.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike78
Just wanted to provide closure to this thread. Thank you everyone for your help and input!

Luckily it was not a head gasket. I finally discovered a small crack starting to form near the middle of the radiator, which, though problematic, was not the major issue. The problem turned out to be the drive shaft for the water pump. It had become warn and was slipping so much that although some coolant circulated, it was not enough to keep the engine cool. I replaced the part, topped off the coolant, bled the system, and everything has been running perfectly ever since.

From a guy who has searched a thousand threads for a solution with none of them resolved.....THANK YOU! Closure is a wonderful thing.

Quick Reply: Coolant Boiling Over