C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lowering this week.....Wheel Spacer Question:

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Sarone
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowering this week.....Wheel Spacer Question:

O.K., so I'm having drilled/slotted rotors installed as well as having the car dropped about 1.5" by a pro mechanic next week, here is my question:

Can I install some thin/medium billet spacers to push the wheels out slightly (more so on the back) and further enhance the low/wide look I'm after?

The car came with the ZR-1 style wheels and I went ahead and added red calipers, red lettering, and blacked out/polished the 3rd brake light to go after a unique, ZR-1 style look.

Thanks in advance for all replies, you guys were a great help on the lowering.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Sarone
Advanced

Magnaflows....forgot about the axle back magnaflows.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I have not done it, so this is just a thought. Your fenderwells slope inward from the lip. Now lower the body and the tires to body space is reduced. Now push the tires out, it's even more so.

If nothing else, get your lowering done then think about spacers, not before IMO.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:49 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Yes, you can buy some spacers and run them. I ran them on my 87 for a few years without issue. Can't go too thick as you want to make sure your lugs grip enough stud threads. you can always get aftermarket longer studs if you cant to move out the wheels much more but doesn't look like you need all that of a spacer.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Sarone
Advanced

Originally Posted by hcbph
I have not done it, so this is just a thought. Your fenderwells slope inward from the lip. Now lower the body and the tires to body space is reduced. Now push the tires out, it's even more so.

If nothing else, get your lowering done then think about spacers, not before IMO.

Thank's for the replies Gents.

I think I will have it dropped and then take a look at where everything is sitting to determine the width I'd want to go, if at all. Taking off wheels is throwing those spacers on would be pretty quick and easy job so I agree with the waiting.

Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:12 PM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
Yes, you can buy some spacers and run them. I ran them on my 87 for a few years without issue. Can't go too thick as you want to make sure your lugs grip enough stud threads. you can always get aftermarket longer studs if you cant to move out the wheels much more but doesn't look like you need all that of a spacer.
I use 3/16 spacers on my track car, with shouldered lug nuts. They go through the spacer. h

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-ET-Style-...ZWeIOS&vxp=mtr
Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

If you decide to move forward with spacers after lowering shoot me a PM. I have a set of 1" spacers that i no longer need. One pair of them, had to run wider ones on the back. I'd let them go for cheap, don't want them sitting around taking up space.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering this week.....Wheel Spacer Question:

Quick Reply: Lowering this week.....Wheel Spacer Question: