C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 Cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:01 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 92 Cooling fan issue

From a cold start the fans come on and stay on. Coolant sensor?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:11 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Is the A/C on? What temperature does the digital readout show?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:04 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Both fans should not come on from a cold start with the AC off. If the AC was on only the driver's side fan should come on. The passenger side fan is programmed to come on at about 239*.

If both fans are coming on at start, it may be in limp home mode. I would check the codes as there are probably some on module 4. This may give you a direction of what to look at.

But before I'd tear into anything, I would clear the codes but rather than using the dash buttons, I would disconnect the battery so the ECM does a full reset.

Start and drive the car again and see what the fans do and re-check for codes. Post codes if you want direction from the Forum.

I'm going on the assumption the car has been running normal and the problem occurred. And not a situation where you just got the car and someone did a botch job on the wiring.
The following users liked this post:
87bob (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:09 PM
sailor92a
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fans on

my 90 had the same thing, code 15 replaced coolant sensor and works like a champ. no check engine light.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:14 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Both fans should not come on from a cold start with the AC off. If the AC was on only the driver's side fan should come on. The passenger side fan is programmed to come on at about 239*.

If both fans are coming on at start, it may be in limp home mode. I would check the codes as there are probably some on module 4. This may give you a direction of what to look at.

But before I'd tear into anything, I would clear the codes but rather than using the dash buttons, I would disconnect the battery so the ECM does a full reset.

Start and drive the car again and see what the fans do and re-check for codes. Post codes if you want direction from the Forum.

I'm going on the assumption the car has been running normal and the problem occurred. And not a situation where you just got the car and someone did a botch job on the wiring.
Great information!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Default Update

I haven't be able to work on it but today I had to move it. With the key in the on position no fans. At start up momentary no fans then both fans kick in.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 Cooling fan issue

Quick Reply: 92 Cooling fan issue