C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:14 AM
c4_owner
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 Conversion

I recently bought a '86 vette with the L98, its the first car I've ever bought and I want to switch it from the standard TPI to be carbureted. I want to know if I could use the stock block, crank, pistons,etc..with vortec heads, edelbrock rpm air-gap intake, and 600 cfm edelbrock carb. I am looking to make around 350hp...if my setup is possible, where would the power numbers be?

**sorry for any stupid or ridiculous questions for i am new to actually working on my own engines but have an extreme passion for it
Old 05-30-2017, 08:39 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

You could but I think you'd lose your gauges. What are you trying to accomplish?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by c4_owner
I recently bought a '86 vette with the L98, its the first car I've ever bought and I want to switch it from the standard TPI to be carbureted. I want to know if I could use the stock block, crank, pistons,etc..with vortec heads, edelbrock rpm air-gap intake, and 600 cfm edelbrock carb. I am looking to make around 350hp...if my setup is possible, where would the power numbers be?

**sorry for any stupid or ridiculous questions for i am new to actually working on my own engines but have an extreme passion for it
You could do that and your power will be close to 350 HP with the correct cam but I question why you want to go this route? You will spend the same amount of money on an intake, carb, distributer, and fuel system modifications to make this happen vs putting on a mini ram and getting a chip. The Mini ram and chip will probably make more power and not have all the associated issues that come up with a carb.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:04 AM
c4_owner
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bjankuski
You could do that and your power will be close to 350 HP with the correct cam but I question why you want to go this route? You will spend the same amount of money on an intake, carb, distributer, and fuel system modifications to make this happen vs putting on a mini ram and getting a chip. The Mini ram and chip will probably make more power and not have all the associated issues that come up with a carb.
I drove my Dad's '86 c4 for a couple months, and as good as the car handles, I've been wanting to build a "corvette kart". I want to make it a handling machine so I'm stripping the car to the frame and cutting as much weight as possible. After seeing some videos on this, the car comes in at just over 2,000 pounds so i don't know that I'd want more than 350-400 hp. I want to get rid of all the computer controlled parts on the car so i can work on it myself. any additional help would be appreciated.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:10 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

I drove my Dad's '86 c4 for a couple months, and as good as the car handles, I've been wanting to build a "corvette kart". I want to make it a handling machine so I'm stripping the car to the frame and cutting as much weight as possible. After seeing some videos on this, the car comes in at just over 2,000 pounds so i don't know that I'd want more than 350-400 hp. I want to get rid of all the computer controlled parts on the car so i can work on it myself. any additional help would be appreciated.
In that case proceed as planned.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:38 AM
c4_owner
5th Gear

In that case proceed as planned.
What transmission would you recommend? Would the 700r4 handle the abuse of running it on the track.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

What transmission would you recommend? Would the 700r4 handle the abuse of running it on the track.
In my opinion no, not without work to rebuild it for racing use and a good cooler. For a track car I prefer manuals.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:00 AM
c4_owner
5th Gear

In my opinion no, not without work to rebuild it for racing use and a good cooler. For a track car I prefer manuals.
so do I. Im just trying to keep from putting too much into the car. Is the Doug Nash 4+3 the best option?
Old 05-30-2017, 11:54 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

so do I. Im just trying to keep from putting too much into the car. Is the Doug Nash 4+3 the best option?
Define best? The best option is probably the ZF 6-speed in the 1989 and newer cars but it will cost more then the Doug nash 4 + 3 so choose the one that defines your best option.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I'm doing the same thing as you, right now. A couple thoughts;

The Kart is going to end up front heavy; you're removing more weight from the rear of the vehicle than you are from the front. Swapping the stock aluminum heads for iron Vortecs will exacerbate that...some.

I was lucky and was able to find a super cheap, '89 car w/the ZF6 trans. Had I NOT found that car and ended up w/an auto...or even a 4+3 car, I'd have likely changed to a Borg Warner T5; it's light, easy, compact, and strong enough for 350 horse...especially when you have less than 1000 lbs on the rear tires. If I were you, and I couldn't afford a ZF6, I'd use a T5 and fab a c-beam bracket.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:33 PM
c4_owner
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

The Kart is going to end up front heavy; you're removing more weight from the rear of the vehicle than you are from the front. Swapping the stock aluminum heads for iron Vortecs will exacerbate that...some.

I was lucky and was able to find a super cheap, '89 car w/the ZF6 trans. Had I NOT found that car and ended up w/an auto...or even a 4+3 car, I'd have likely changed to a Borg Warner T5; it's light, easy, compact, and strong enough for 350 horse...especially when you have less than 1000 lbs on the rear tires. If I were you, and I couldn't afford a ZF6, I'd use a T5 and fab a c-beam bracket.
I have looked into the t5 and t10, and i think i would prefer the t10. I would love to talk to you more about your build. are you converting your car to carb...and what rear end are you looking into using?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:09 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

I would not trust a T5 for a 350 HP race car even if it is light weight. I have destroyed at least 3 world class T5's in my 1988 Firebird with a 320 HP 305 and I always seem to fail 3rd gear. I eventually went to a T56 in the Firebird.

Just my experience.
The following users liked this post:
c4_owner (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I would not trust a T5 for a 350 HP race car even if it is light weight. I have destroyed at least 3 world class T5's in my 1988 Firebird with a 320 HP 305 and I always seem to fail 3rd gear. I eventually went to a T56 in the Firebird.

Just my experience.
I totally hear you...My first T5, I broke (and rebuilt) a lot. Every 6 months maybe? But I was a dumbass way back then. Later, I ran a SBC 400 in my Trans Am...drag raced it for years. Flat foot shifted every gear, every pass. Even pulled some 1.8 60's on it. In 12 years, I broke one 3/4 shift fork. It cost me $12 to repair it. I would definitely use a T5 in a car that weights 2/3's what the Trans Am weighed. But I know that w/the T5, results may vary. A T56 is too much $$ for a 'Vette Kart, IMO.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I have looked into the t5 and t10, and i think i would prefer the t10. I would love to talk to you more about your build. are you converting your car to carb...and what rear end are you looking into using?
I'm going to stick w/TPI for starters...first because it's there and it works. Second, since it so view-able in the Kart application, I want to leave it (initially) for aesthetics. Last....I want to experience the legendary LOW END TOWAK MONSTAH of the TPI!!
^That last part, I'm kidding. In reality, it's there, it works, it "looks cool" and has good driveability.

My car came w/the ZF6trans/D44 rear, so I'm sticking with that. Again, with that light weight, the D44 rear will last forever, no matter how much monstah towak the TPI makes!

I love talking shop though...PM or whatever about it.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Conversion

Quick Reply: L98 Conversion