C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

door panel light gremlin...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:35 PM
jsmcol
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
Default door panel light gremlin...

Ok, so here's a strange one. Bought a 93 coupe in January. Got all the lights working, fuses replaced, etc. and while I was at it, replaced the door panel lights with LED, much brighter and uses less battery if door is open for awhile. LEDs worked great at that point.

Last weekend I took the passenger door panel off to lube the door lock latches, rods, etc since it was sticking. Went to put it all back together and the light no longer worked in just that panel. Driver still works fine.

I thought the bulb went bad, replaced it, still didn't work. Checked and it has 12 volts going to the bulb holder. I then put the original filament bulb in and it worked. Put the LED (tried three new ones) back in, none worked? Right now, I have the original filament bulb in there and it works.

Any suggestions? I can try swapping the drivers bulb which I know was working, but this is just mysterious! it has power, but now the LED bulbs won't work.

FYI, the LED work great under the hood too, much brighter and again, less juice used, fyi.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Keep in mind that LED bulbs are polarity sensitive. When an LED bulb doesn't work switch the contacts. In The case of the door bulb flip it the other way and try it.
The following 2 users liked this post by belairbrian:
jsmcol (06-20-2017), Red 91 (06-21-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:06 PM
jsmcol
Racer

[QUOTE=belairbrian;1594986693]Keep in mind that LED bulbs are polarity sensitive.

Brian, I had never heard that before. I just went out, tried it again, of course it didn't light, flipped it around, works perfectly!

That means the first four times I put them in I got it right without knowing it! Thanks for the info, learned something new today.
Jim
Old 12-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Roadkill Poorvette
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what size bulb goes in the door panel light? Is it the same as the 85 model year?
Old 12-01-2021, 03:54 PM
jsmcol
Racer

Roadkill,
I had an '86 but don't remember replacing any of the bulbs, but they appear to be similar. Try taking your existing bulb into an auto parts store and asking for the same thing in an LED. Or, look at the bulb and try to find LED on ebay. That's what I did, you can get like 6 of them for a couple of bucks.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To door panel light gremlin...

Quick Reply: door panel light gremlin...