C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Code 36 FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Default Code 36 FIXED!!

I hope this thread will help anyone with the code 36 problem. I have read on this forum that there are two separate relays for the burnoff function. Most parts stores will tell you that you can just use two of the same relay. In my case at least this is NOT true. I had found the correct GM part numbers for the two relays and I had bought them 2 weeks ago but I installed them the way I had read they were supposed to be and I still had the code 36. I will list the correct numbers at the bottom of this post. Keep in mind, one relay has a black connector housing while the other one is white. I was directed to put the white one in the power circuit and the black one in the burnoff circuit. I was at my wits end trying to find this problem, last night I was doing a search on Google when I found an article I had not seen before. It was not written by Joe Blow, it was a GM release with specific instructions on how to fix code 36. I read it all over and was getting frustrated because it was saying the same things I already knew. Then I came to the relay part numbers, they were the same GM numbers I already had BUT it said the white relay is supposed to be in the burnoff circuit NOT in the power circuit. I immediately went out to the garage last night at 11:00 to reverse the connectors. I wanted it done so I could take the car out today and see what happens. Before the cel always came on after the 3rd start with considerable driving being done between stops. Today the third start came and went with no cel. So did the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th start ups. NO CEL!
Here is the GM part numbers and the circuits they go into,
Power relay...........10067925............(bla ck connector)
Burnoff relay.........10094701............(white connector)
At NAPA the white relay is called an a/c relay. no mention of any other use. Both of these numbers are able to be crossed over to whatever brand you are getting.
The following 3 users liked this post by Midnight 85:
confab (07-21-2017), JimLentz (07-21-2017), Kevin mackenzie (05-07-2022)
Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 AM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 232 Likes on 191 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Right on!

Your's is an '85 correct? Other years may be a little different, despite sharing the same error code. I'll chase your method, maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:25 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

COOL!!!! Got a link to the article?
Old 07-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kael
Right on!

Your's is an '85 correct? Other years may be a little different, despite sharing the same error code. I'll chase your method, maybe I'll get lucky.
Yes, it's an '85 that has been upgraded to the 165 ecm. It is possible my fix will not work on newer models but as you said, it is a place to start. I was on this problem over 3 months.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by confab
COOL!!!! Got a link to the article?
I printed it out, let me see if I can find it again. I took no notice of that because I really didn't think there was any info in it I hadn't already seen, I was wrong.

Found it right away, just in case the link doesn't work just Google General Motors Reference G007
http://www.askatech.com/AskATechLive...ity/g/g007.pdf

Last edited by Midnight 85; 07-21-2017 at 10:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Midnight 85:
confab (07-21-2017), kael (07-26-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,266 Likes on 2,027 Posts

OP - you posted while I was thinking and trying to find RQ's reference.

I don't know where the OP's article came from but 2 things -

The OP has an '85 that's been converted to the later 1227165 ECM and apparently wired as an '86 so you can't interpret his results to anything but his car.

There is a TSB that mentions "part #'s specifically for these ECMs.

RayQuayle many years ago added the TSB to his web-notes.

.http://www.quayle-co.com/tsbs/87-270.htm

'85 diagnostics for cars NOT modified are very different from others. I mentioned that in his other thread, an '85 car modified it's very important to know what wiring scheme was used for the ECM.

'86 there's 2 different relays - '87 and '88 there's 2 of "the same part#. I've never seen the relays referenced by "color" but I do know that GM did use various relays and for assembly line recognition I'd think it only reasonable to differentiate them by color. Are all after-markets correlated by color? I doubt it.

Note in Ray's TSB the Camaro is also mentioned and the diagnostics and relays didn't change like the Corvette - L98 diagnostics are YEAR- MAKE - MODEL specific and very few ever mention that in their articles.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-21-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:02 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I really didn't think there was any info in it I hadn't already seen..
Not doubting you. Just thought it would be nice a TSB # for reference.

Some guys might not be able to do this themselves, and if you have a TSB # it helps the dealers out a lot.

Good find!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:06 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

PS: Since it has come up.. I bought an Autozone MAF to replace the Bosch one.

I'm not sure it needs a burnoff relay at all because of the way it is constructed. I see no hot wire to clean?

Is anyone familiar with this? Because if that is the case, it would save a bunch of the early C4 owners a big headache when the burnoff module fails.

PICS here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-hotwire.html
Old 07-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by confab
PS: Since it has come up.. I bought an Autozone MAF to replace the Bosch one.

I'm not sure it needs a burnoff relay at all because of the way it is constructed. I see no hot wire to clean?

Is anyone familiar with this? Because if that is the case, it would save a bunch of the early C4 owners a big headache when the burnoff module fails.

PICS here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-hotwire.html
I got a MAF just like that and if it is the one I am thinking about I read somewhere on here that that style has no burnoff that will work with the early system and that it will set the code 36 because of this. If your car is an early, (86-88) I would get the Bosch design. I thought sure that was my source of the code so I changed it back to the Bosch style but it did no good because I did not know about switching the relays yet. If I could I would put that other design back in my car just to see but at one point when frustrations were at an all-time high I bounced it off the garage wall so now it doesn't work at all.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
OP - you posted while I was thinking and trying to find RQ's reference.

I don't know where the OP's article came from but 2 things -

The OP has an '85 that's been converted to the later 1227165 ECM and apparently wired as an '86 so you can't interpret his results to anything but his car.

There is a TSB that mentions "part #'s specifically for these ECMs.

RayQuayle many years ago added the TSB to his web-notes.

.http://www.quayle-co.com/tsbs/87-270.htm

'85 diagnostics for cars NOT modified are very different from others. I mentioned that in his other thread, an '85 car modified it's very important to know what wiring scheme was used for the ECM.

'86 there's 2 different relays - '87 and '88 there's 2 of "the same part#. I've never seen the relays referenced by "color" but I do know that GM did use various relays and for assembly line recognition I'd think it only reasonable to differentiate them by color. Are all after-markets correlated by color? I doubt it.

Note in Ray's TSB the Camaro is also mentioned and the diagnostics and relays didn't change like the Corvette - L98 diagnostics are YEAR- MAKE - MODEL specific and very few ever mention that in their articles.
You are absolutely right, that is why I stated in the opening post that this solution worked for me and my system. I am hoping someone will try my "cure" on their car to see just how valid it is for other, newer cars. The way I am set up is the following, '85 car with newer 165 ecm, not sure now of the year. I used the early rectangle relays, not the newer oval style and a killer custom tune from Tunedportperformance.

Get notified of new replies

To Code 36 FIXED!!

Quick Reply: Code 36 FIXED!!