C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Had a bad day

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 07:46 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
Dan picked his car up today and it is not overheating when he drives it. The original problem was the waterpump and the next problem was the shop leaving the sleeve out when they installed the new waterpump.
Originally Posted by lectroglide
that's correct, the car stayed below 185 most of the way home then when I reached home which was about 10 miles from the pickup point it read 205, so will see how its goes..........also noted the temp sensor was bad which is on the front of the motor and an easy fix from what I understand.
Great to hear the problem is fixed.

NEXT!..........
Old 07-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
Would help to have a simple explanation..... you cite engine temps, then suggest the temp sensor may be faulty. What gage are you reading to determine your op temps? Analog temp sensor is located in the passenger side of the block (1 wire). The digital temp sensor (2 wire) is mounted in the water pump housing, and is readily accessible for replacement.

You really need to confirm the action of the cooling system. The LT1 uses a closed system, meaning no outside air enters the system. Start with a full reservoir, which is an extension of the radiator, ensure the overflow bottle level is at the 'cold' mark with a cold engine. During operation, the heated coolant will expand and build pressure.
When the pressure exceeds the rad cap rating (16# +/- 1#) expanded coolant will flow into the overflow bottle. At engine shut-down, the engine will cool, and create a siphon
replenishing the expanded coolant. If a siphon does not occur, there is a breach in the closed system, usually from a frayed/split hose end, loose clamp, radiator hole, deformed rad cap gasket, even a microscopic crack in the neck of the reservoir will allow air into the system.

If air enters the system, the pressure rated rad cap is negated, and the boiling point of coolant will be 212, instead of about 250.
The digital temp is working correctly. The analog gauge is not working right. After running the car for about 2 minutes it is pegged at the top. I have told Dan this is the sensor on the passenger side of the motor and the sensor on the waterpump is for the ECM and the digital temperature readout.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:08 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

definitely the one on the WP and BTW the guy mentioned something about the CTS was broke when I brought the car in, but when I ran the today both analog/digital were functioning so their might be an intermittent connection problem with that unit

Last edited by lectroglide; 07-28-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:37 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
The digital temp is working correctly.
How is the siphon working?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

If by "siphon" you mean the transfer of coolant from the pressurized system to the overflow tank and back it is working perfectly.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Gene D
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Check heater hose

On the LT1 there are 2 heater hoses on the passenger side.
You can get them mixed up and put the upper on the bottom.
I waited 2 days to start mine until i was sure I had them right.

Quick Reply: Had a bad day