C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gen 1 SBC 427/434's

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

[QUOTE=C409;1595400724check my avatar , that's on Mickey Thompson 275-50-15 drag radials [/QUOTE]
Oh, trust me. I have!

My car is street driven, tho and never drag raced. 285s, 315s. both spin in 1st too easily. The fun was the old tires, when only two needed replacement.. ohhhhh, the smoke!!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:05 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... Hey Jamal ! ... Its been a few years but yeah , the Chevy 400 block I was using had some unfortunate issues that forced me to upgrade to the Dart Little M . From there I centered the build around using the factory LS7 titanium rods . That's why it wound up with 421 cubits ... It's not the fastest C4 on the Forum but it does haul *** ... Running N/A in Florida air its consistently in the 6.60's 1/8th mile and 10.50's 1/4 mile through a full exhaust and weighing in at 3600 # on the starting line . C'mon down , we have some of the best beaches in Florida , no offense ! .....
Be careful what you wish for, I just might come down and bug the **** out of you sometime again. I remember a few posts of yours about having the LS7 rods for a build. I knew you'd make it work and that's really cool. May not be the fastest out there but your average gearhead thinks running steel rods is as cool as it gets. Talk about an economical alternative to a $8,000 set from Crower. Some of the C6 Z06 guys mentioned issues with Ti dust shedding off the rods and scoring up bearing surfaces. I think it has something to do with the coating on the rods wearing off?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Be careful what you wish for, I just might come down and bug the **** out of you sometime again. I remember a few posts of yours about having the LS7 rods for a build. I knew you'd make it work and that's really cool. May not be the fastest out there but your average gearhead thinks running steel rods is as cool as it gets. Talk about an economical alternative to a $8,000 set from Crower. Some of the C6 Z06 guys mentioned issues with Ti dust shedding off the rods and scoring up bearing surfaces. I think it has something to do with the coating on the rods wearing off?
..... I did a lot of research on the LS7 Ti rods ... and found that most builders and owners who are upgrading are shying away from them for a variety of reasons ... but not because of failures ... for whatever reason , GM put hyper-eutectic pistons on the Ti rods and also had a lot of valve and valve seat issues with the LS7 engines ... Titanium does NOT like to rub against metals ... particularly Titanium ... Most Ti rods are coated at least on the big ends with a barrier substance when made ... LS7 rods are coated with CrN - chromium nitrate ? ... If things get too cozy between rods and cranks , the coating can be compromised and cause all sorts of issues ... mine have been north of 8000rpm a few times and have not complained ... some of the challenges in using LS7 Ti rods are that they 6.065" long and have a lot of material on the pin end ... I made them work in my setup .....

Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a 464ci (4.165X4.250) Dart iron eagle tall deck. It creates all sorts of issues. No oil filter pad on the block. You have to use a remote oil filter. You need an adjustable collar on the distributor, because it needs to go deeper in the block. Takes a special oil pan, the pan rails are spread .800". The cam is raised .391, so it takes a special timing chain set. It comes with intake manifold spacers that need to be machined and ported to match the heads and intake. And the intake manifold has to have the distributor pad machined from a 4 degree angle to a 5 degree angle. And to put it in a C4, the crossmember has to be notched for the bigger oil pan. But in the end I think it's worth it. It will accommodate a 4.25" stroke, and next bore size for me is 468ci, the final bore size is 472 CI.

Last edited by tpi 421 vette; 08-20-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Gen 1 SBC 427/434's