C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Throttle Body Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM
MJG55
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Replacement Help

So my 87 corvette's throttle body seems to be sticking and I have been looking around at replacements and have decided I want to go with a BBK 58mm TB

I've never upgraded a throttle body before so is it just a bolt on and drive operation or are there additional things I need to change for it to work correctly
Old 09-21-2017, 10:13 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Whoa up there.... (forgive me I'm from Texas)

Before you go out and spend you money on a new Throttle Body, have you tried to clean it? A lot of TB problems (Sticking, idle issue, acceleration) can be traced to a dirty TB.

Take your TB off and clean it or at a minimum try to do a "on car" cleaning.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Whoa up there.... (forgive me I'm from Texas)

Before you go out and spend you money on a new Throttle Body, have you tried to clean it? A lot of TB problems (Sticking, idle issue, acceleration) can be traced to a dirty TB.

Take your TB off and clean it or at a minimum try to do a "on car" cleaning.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C

That fancy new TB isn't going to buy you anything in performance. It's not the limiting factor by a long shot.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:02 AM
86Pacecar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a BBK on mine too when I had TB issues. Never performed or ran as well as the stock unit. See link for what I did. It is working great and working so muvh better than the BBK ever did.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ft-rebush.html
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Try some silicone spray lube ! ... about $3 a can .....

Last edited by C409; 09-22-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:26 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG55
So my 87 corvette's throttle body seems to be sticking and I have been looking around at replacements and have decided I want to go with a BBK 58mm TB

I've never upgraded a throttle body before so is it just a bolt on and drive operation or are there additional things I need to change for it to work correctly
Buddy of mine did that with his new car or when it was new. Felt faster too. Unfortunately, at the track he consistently ran slower times with it. It has to function as part of a system not a stand alone thing.

Yes, it is bolt on. You have to take the top plate off, take the IAC off, take the coolant hoses off and take the IAC housing off. New gaskets obviously. That said, since you are there, why not clean the IAC passages, clean the TB butterflies and clean the IAC housing? Spray off the IAC pintle with brake cleaner and GENTLY wipe it (no pushing) and see if it works better. For all you know, you might have a bad cable.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 AM
hilflos
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
That said, since you are there, why not clean the IAC passages, clean the TB butterflies and clean the IAC housing? Spray off the IAC pintle with brake cleaner and GENTLY wipe it (no pushing) and see if it works better.
This is pretty much what I did with mine, which is also an '87. It was sticking at about 15% pedal travel. It's almost as if there was a notch, or a sticking point.

So, you'd build up enough force to get past the sticking point, and then, too much force, and you're instantly at 50% or more throttle. It made driving it in a civilized manner, difficult.

A thorough cleaning, pretty much exactly as aklim describes there solved the issue. The throttle's been nearly perfect for the last three or four months now.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 AM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

If for some reason cleaning it as stated in the other replies does not help, I would send it off to be rebuilt before I would replace it, It's also cheaper
Old 10-06-2017, 11:48 PM
DouglasC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ONE MORE THING : Going to a 58mm isn't the answer at all in my experience. The Stock unit is a good fit for a stock system. The 52mm will work fine but don't even consider the 58 unless you do some porting and a host of other MATCHED air flow re-mods. Clean the stock unit my friend & you'll be a happy and richer Vetter !!

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Body Replacement Help

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Replacement Help