C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 85 Refresh

It was requested that I start a thread on my 85 refresh project. This project started back in March with the idea of just fixing the differential seal leak and quickly snow balled to a full on refresh project. So according to the manual, I need to remove the exhaust from the manifolds back. So I start poking around in the engine compartment to see what needs to come apart for the air tube to be disconnected. You know the one that feeds the catalytic converter. I start to disassemble things and the next thing I know I dropped a fastener down the front of the engine. Yup, completely lost. Now you guessed it, the whole front of the engine starts coming apart to find the problem child, cause who knows what future disaster is lurking with the thing able to move around. Turns out the fastener was resting nicely on the water pump. So this is where I started at.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Randy M; 10-06-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Now let's remember this is a 31 year old vehicle with 90K miles on the clock. I am starting ponder on this probably more than I should. So last fall when I did my annual fall oil change I notice that I had what appeared to be a coolant leak coming from the front of the engine. Just a small drip, that search as I may, I could not find the source. So, I just dismissed it at that time and move on. Well, fast forward to my project of the moment and now I have a really good view of my water pump. It turns out that one of the left side mounting bolts developed a small leak. Well, that means the water pump is now coming off. And now that it is off, it is getting a new pump in it's place as well.

I am going to apologize up front here as I am not going to have as many photos that I'd like to have for this. As I am still in this journey I can however document the areas that I am working on now. I had not intended to make a detailed forum thread of this endeavor.

Last edited by Randy M; 10-06-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

I like your plugs for the fuel lines. I struggled trying to find a good solution for that with what I had laying around the shop.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Silver85
I like your plugs for the fuel lines. I struggled trying to find a good solution for that with what I had laying around the shop.
Thanks, that and brake lines are always a problem. And I am usually not very patient at the time.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:02 AM
357L98
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with your project. I have an 85 also. My water pump started leaking a few years ago, and I replaced it with an aluminum unit from Auto Zone. Have not had any trouble with it since.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, now that I am this far, I thought I'd tear in to the intake manifold leaks. I was leaking oil at the rear and through the bolts. Here is the teardown.

This is how I got the manifold to release from the rest of the engine. A little lifting force and it just popped right off.

Made it.

The following users liked this post:
Bentsi (10-15-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

At this point I installed an new EGR valve and new fuel injectors. I used Felpro gaskets and the Right Stuff sealant to finish things off. I wish I had taken more pictures of intake disassembly and cleaning process. I also removed the valve covers and use fresh Felpro gaskets to seal them up. I also converted my valve cover bolts to the studs as recommended. Then distributer got a new cap and rotor and new spark plugs and wires were added. Cleaned the throttle body and lubed the linkage. Replaced all questionable hoses.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:09 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Randy one quick question. How did you remove the lower runner torx bolts? I pulled the valve covers off to get at them. I was removing the heads so it was no problem for me since the covers had to come off anyway.
Thanks, Jim
Old 10-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
Randy one quick question. How did you remove the lower runner torx bolts? I pulled the valve covers off to get at them. I was removing the heads so it was no problem for me since the covers had to come off anyway.
Thanks, Jim
Jim,

I really don't remember the valve covers being a problem. I used a Torx socket with an extension on a ratchet where needed. A couple may have needed a u-joint in that combination. In fact I think in some instances I actually reached across the manifold from the far side, I think for the intake bolts. I do know that the upper rear left inside one was a real pain and had to remover the distributor. Which wasn't a problem since it was coming out anyway. But I didn't need to remove the valve covers to get any of the fasteners. You can see in one of my photos the covers are still on.

Last edited by Randy M; 10-09-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add info.
HAD2HAV2 (10-09-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Are those heads cast iron? Almost look aluminum but can't tell
Old 10-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
assuming stock heads, perimeter bolt valve covers, so iron.

randy - know exactly where you're going with this - I started with rear sway bar bushings, went to a differential leak, preventative maintenance on a bunch of little stuff, kept moving forward, yada, yada, yada, ended up pulling the heads. but wait, it doesn't stop there - it never stops....

some folks don't understand when you tell them it takes 3 weeks to do a brake job -

edit: not sure where you're at with this, but it may be a good time to mod the AC mounting bracket. one bolt comes in from the rear, and is bit of a problem child. fairly easy fix.

Last edited by Joe C; 10-10-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:44 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Randy M
At this point I installed an new EGR valve and new fuel injectors. I used Felpro gaskets and the Right Stuff sealant to finish things off. I wish I had taken more pictures of intake disassembly and cleaning process. I also removed the valve covers and use fresh Felpro gaskets to seal them up. I also converted my valve cover bolts to the studs as recommended. Then distributer got a new cap and rotor and new spark plugs and wires were added. Cleaned the throttle body and lubed the linkage. Replaced all questionable hoses.
randy - curious about this - I though I read somewhere that you're the original owner of your 85, but in this post, you stated that you converted the VC bolts to studs - ???

am I to assume that your 85 came from the factory with bolts, or sometime in the past 32 years, you (or someone) converted from studs to bolts, and now you're going back to studs - ???

Last edited by Joe C; 10-10-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
Joe is correct, the heads are the original cast iron. Aluminum heads were standard in 86 I believe.

Last edited by Randy M; 10-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe C
assuming stock heads, perimeter bolt valve covers, so iron.

randy - know exactly where you're going with this - I started with rear sway bar bushings, went to a differential leak, preventative maintenance on a bunch of little stuff, kept moving forward, yada, yada, yada, ended up pulling the heads. but wait, it doesn't stop there - it never stops....

some folks don't understand when you tell them it takes 3 weeks to do a brake job -

edit: not sure where you're at with this, but it may be a good time to mod the AC mounting bracket. one bolt comes in from the rear, and is bit of a problem child. fairly easy fix.
Yup Joe, things take time when you want it done right.

That A/C mounting bracket is a real pain in the posterior, but I showed it. Joe, did you make this mod? I haven't decided yet.

Actually, I have a new compressor sitting on the bench now awaiting the install. But, more on that later.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

randy - curious about this - I thought I read somewhere that you're the original owner of your 85, but in this post, you stated that you converted the VC bolts to studs - ???

am I to assume that your 85 came from the factory with bolts, or sometime in the past 32 years, you (or someone) converted from studs to bolts, and now you're going back to studs - ???
Correct, my 85 came from the factory with bolts. There is a service bulletin put out by GM to make the conversion. I think it was a production change.
Here is a link that will explain it a little more. GM Service Bulletin

Technically, I am not the original owner. I am the second owner, though I like to think of myself as the original owner. The car was bought from a wholesaler who drove it for about a 1000 miles first.

Last edited by Randy M; 10-10-2017 at 10:14 AM.
TBSS/85vette (10-12-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Yup Joe, things take time when you want it done right.

That A/C mounting bracket is a real pain in the posterior, but I showed it. Joe, did you make this mod? I haven't decided yet.

Actually, I have a new compressor sitting on the bench now awaiting the install. But, more on that later.
here's my thread on the mod. - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ification.html -
it was pretty much a development thing, but in the end, simple and fairly easy to incorporate. sure made the compressor installation a snap. I couldn't do the machining at home, and had to farm out to a friend's shop.
Randy M (10-10-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

here's my thread on the mod. - https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ification.html -
it was pretty much a development thing, but in the end, simple and fairly easy to incorporate. sure made the compressor installation a snap. I couldn't do the machining at home, and had to farm out to a friend's shop.
Thanks for the link and thread Joe. Very much appreciated. I will definitely consider this mod. And I agree with you in your thread, you only need to remove that compressor one more time (as well as consider the install) and you'll be glad that you made the modification. You did a great job in the design and execution of the modification. I may tweak your design a little, I need some research time. Keep up the good work.

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Refresh

Old 10-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

If you have the time I can see that mod being well worth it. I made up new words putting mine back together after a water pump replacement job. If the compressor isn't attached to the hoses it probably isn't bad but trying to reinstall it with the system charged and intact is a pain.

Actually found that whoever retrofitted the A.C. for 134a didn't bother to put that bolt back in and I only had two of them holding it in place. It has three now.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Silver85
If you have the time I can see that mod being well worth it. I made up new words putting mine back together after a water pump replacement job. If the compressor isn't attached to the hoses it probably isn't bad but trying to reinstall it with the system charged and intact is a pain.

Actually found that whoever retrofitted the A.C. for 134a didn't bother to put that bolt back in and I only had two of them holding it in place. It has three now.
You make a good point. The more I am thinking about it I'll probably spend the time and effort to fix GM's mistake. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:00 PM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Correct, my 85 came from the factory with bolts. There is a service bulletin put out by GM to make the conversion. I think it was a production change.
Here is a link that will explain it a little more. GM Service Bulletin

Technically, I am not the original owner. I am the second owner, though I like to think of myself as the original owner. The car was bought from a wholesaler who drove it for about a 1000 miles first.
Thanks for that awesome tip! I just snagged 2 NOS sets of GM fasteners for a whopping $1.50 total on eBay. I've had those covers off so many times in the past I look forward to installing these.

Quick Reply: 85 Refresh