C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 Corvette window regulator issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 1988 Corvette window regulator issue

Greetings all,

Anyone ever have to replace an '88 coup window regulator on the drivers side? Seems that a weld or pivot point took a dump inside my drivers door. How difficult is it.

In the attached picts at different angles for better viewing, you will see a divot/indentation where I believe structures #1 and #2 are supposed to be connected and the metal I viewed appeared to be shiny indicating a break...Opinions?...Thanks

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 07-26-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:10 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 448 Likes on 408 Posts

I pulled out a spare window Reg I have and I don't see any real difference except that the alignment is different because of it's position of travel,

. Is the problem you are having Is it the glass wobbly high up in the nose if so you could have a broken front guide/stop which is a common problem
Old 12-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply!

Looking at the annotated picts I posted where #'s 1 + 2 are written, If I hold the 2 pieces together simulating them to be fastened, it would appear that when the motor is activated that the window should go up and down as designed....

I am not entirely sure if there was a piece of metal between the two OR something else..... It is almost impossible to see inside the door cavity, even using a mirror and bright light....I do not see any track wheels out of their assigned tracks however, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist....

.....The entire window is "wobbly" (the top edge in and out towards roof panel) in that I have been in the process of replacing all the weatherstripping around the windows and top and still have both inner and outer window sweeps to replace as they are SHOT.....

.....If I maneuver the window 1/2 way down, It seems as if i can pull the window up 1/2 inch or more at the leading edge (drivers side windshield area).

....If I can establish that a fixed point (weld or similar) existed at/on my picture, then I know a regulator needs replacing and I am in a world of hurt.....As I said, If i maneuver the piece BEHIND the "dimple to correspond with the outer piece showing the "dimple" then I'll know.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:46 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Greetings all,

Going to attack this again.

The glass is wobbly and the window sweeps are shot (in the near future replacement) .
1)...Also, is there any easy way to see where the teeth of the motor engage the steel gears on the regulator?

2)...Is the gear attached to the motor itself metal or plastic?

3)...Could a plastic/steel(?) wheel(?) come out of it's track or similar?

If I can get away with replacing a guide or motor instead of the entire regulator, I would do that instead .

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Get a complete assembly....hardest part is realigning window to weatherstrips. That the hard part. Might as well get new felt covered window stops...cheap and if yours is original they are likely scratching your glass already.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corvette95
Get a complete assembly....hardest part is realigning window to weatherstrips. That the hard part. Might as well get new felt covered window stops...cheap and if yours is original they are likely scratching your glass already.

Thanks for reply.

Properly naming the parts will be part of my trouble. I have to replace the window sweeps on both sides for one as that contributes in the wobble.

I assume that the "guides" are the tracks that the window slides in (so-to-speak). In the picts I have seen, there is metal piece that is attached to the window most likely with a bolt and that slides in a track.

I have seen via picts, the window alignment areas and am not timid of that.

I still need to know if the gear on the motor is plastic or steel as it "meshes" with the very large "gear" on the regulator.

Since the window is VERY wobbly at this point, I may suspect that it could be out of it's track which in turn could cause the motor gear to not be engaged far enough into the regulator gear. If the window is UP, i can easily push it down w/out motor assistance.I have to assist the window by hand to rise to the top but, once there if i hit the "down button", it'll drop as normal.

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 02-07-2018 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 AM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

IF you buy a good used unit you get all over that and dont have to worry with it. Try Vette2Vette.com and explain what you want.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 Corvette window regulator issue

Quick Reply: 1988 Corvette window regulator issue