C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

header clearance to kc4 cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 07:59 PM
ryank9398
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default header clearance to kc4 cooler lines

Is this enough clearance to rubber water line and oil filter? I know I have one of those woven spark plug boots in the garage somewhere I could slip over that coolant line.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:08 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

You are good.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:55 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

It does look fine. If you are concerned, that cooler line can be moved away from the header pipe can by loosening the 3/4" head bolt that holds the cooler on under the filter and rotating it. I also have mine covered with a thermal sleeve because I don't want to take the chance of it blowing when going through the lights.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:15 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
It does look fine. If you are concerned, that cooler line can be moved away from the header pipe can by loosening the 3/4" head bolt that holds the cooler on under the filter and rotating it. I also have mine covered with a thermal sleeve because I don't want to take the chance of it blowing when going through the lights.
Thermal sleeve is a great idea.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I agree the cooler lines can be shifted. In this picture, the arrows represent how the lines USED to be pointing. It's been 7 yrs so I can't remember the details but I am thinking a "stop" had to be removed? And, the result required HOLDING the cooler tank in the desired position while tightening? Wish I could remember....

I really like the idea of using a spark plug wire "sock" to insulate it from heat. I went so far as to make a shield. With alum snips, pop rivet, and a bench vise, I make this....

When installed, it looks like this. I should have taken a f/r view because there IS room for air to flow (front-to-rear) THRU the box so it doesn't act like an oven (and hold hot air in). PLUS...I put heat reflective tape on the side panel nearest the header. It creates a "partition" of heat reflection between the header and oil cooler.

FWIW, it looks like you have more space than I did too...so the boot/sock idea may be all that you need. Plus, rotating the "base" to redirect the hoses is free. If you can't tell (by the pic), I mounted it to the oil pan rail using two "studs".

Also...on the bottom and mounting sides of the box, I suppose I could have drilled lots of holes to make sure heat didn't "collect" inside the box. I don't race so my exhaust temps probably don't get as high. That said, it's been their for 7 years w/o a problem.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 12-04-2017 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cjunkie (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:33 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

A simple hose sheath would probably be the easiest and cheapest solution in this case.

I use DEI Heat Sheaths on several hoses in the engine compartment of my 1968 BB Convertible. I have them on the fuel lines, heater hoses, vacuum hoses, Power steering lines and electrical wiring. I have not burned a spark plug wire or anything else since I have been using DEI products. The only down side is that the aluminum on the outside of the sheaths will fall apart after 5-10 years of usage and when it does it is "ugly".

The car has long tube headers and a very hot running engine to start with. Controlling the excess heat is extra important when your car was made without air conditioning.

Good luck at keeping those temperatures under control!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!
Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
A simple hose sheath would probably be the easiest and cheapest solution in this case.

I use DEI Heat Sheaths on several hoses in the engine compartment of my 1968 BB Convertible. I have them on the fuel lines, heater hoses, vacuum hoses, Power steering lines and electrical wiring. I have not burned a spark plug wire or anything else since I have been using DEI products. The only down side is that the aluminum on the outside of the sheaths will fall apart after 5-10 years of usage and when it does it is "ugly".

The car has long tube headers and a very hot running engine to start with. Controlling the excess heat is extra important when your car was made without air conditioning.

Good luck at keeping those temperatures under control!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

I used the header wrap insulation around the coolant hoses, just to be sure. That or a heat shield sheath around the hoses will do the trick.

Get notified of new replies

To header clearance to kc4 cooler lines

Quick Reply: header clearance to kc4 cooler lines