C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 (L98) Parts help

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Jordan Davies
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To billschroeder5842,

Thats what i was thinking but i wanted a more professional look on things. i am posting all images that people are requesting to make it easier to identify,
Old 12-12-2017, 11:45 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Well the ABS Pump Box is Missing? Maybe someone with a 86 +- could look and see what the part # on the Radio Receiver is their car, because a 95 would have a Bose Gold in it
Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM
j.martynuska
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It has the digital dash. Last year for the digital dash was '89?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:16 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by j.martynuska
It has the digital dash. Last year for the digital dash was '89?
Yep. 1990 was the new interior, however it kept the 89 panels.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:19 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan Davies
What's the deal with the Japanese characters? I've never seen anything like that before. Was this a export vehicle of some kind?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:23 PM
j.martynuska
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tire sizes are interesting - 255/45-17 and 285/40-17?
Old 12-12-2017, 03:42 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Did anybody else notice the year of 1985 on the EPA sticker? It looks like a Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" kind of car. The body is clearly not the right one for the chassis.

Does the Rear caliper have a Emergency cable going towards it? In 1988 they changed over from the drum inside the rotor to a real cable operated emergency brake. It will help you identify the year of the chassis components.

Did they remove the ABS system from that car?

The sticker that lists the accessories on my Car is under the lid of the center console on my 1988 Coupe.

Do you have any kind of safety inspections in Great Britain? That car would not be legal here without a functioning Emergency brake. Then when the State Emissions testing starts the BIG problems would jump up. Since you have a 1985 engine you would likely not be able to pass the requirements for 1995 emissions. They get tougher each year for most models. Do they have any testing done over there to keep the air clean?

I suspect they started with an earlier model chassis and re-made the car into a 1995 model. I have never known anybody to be able to license a 1985 car as a 1995 car. What did your background check show for the car's history?

I wish you the very best of luck in resolving just what you bought. I hope that it works out in your favor over the long term. Corvettes are a lot of fun to own and maintain. I have 2, a 1968 427 Convertible with four speed and a 1988 Coupe with its L98 running strong.

Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year!
The following users liked this post:
Jordan Davies (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 04:01 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
Motor Early 85/86 Iron Head L-98. Someone do a Bang up job of putting L-98 in.

Assuming the intake goes with the engine, it's not a Throttle Bore or carb so that leaves out everything prior to 1985. 85 had the cast iron heads as did early 86 (due to the perimeter valve cover bolts). Aluminum heads started with the 86 convertible and late coupes identifiable via the 4 hold down bolts down the middle of the valve covers.

If the engine is a built it's an 85 or early 86 IMO.

Originally Posted by s carter
Even the A/C lines are the 86 Style with the Large Pressure Switch, It's like a 86 Fire Wall forward replacement. even the Master Cylinder is the 2 Chamber Gerlock
Overall close, but my 86 has a single reservoir on the brake master cylinder, not twin which I think came out like 1988.

This sure looks like it might be an aggregation of multiple cars to make one workable one. It just doesn't add up between all the differences in the car. Maybe pull a wheel and see what the offset on them is and if there are any spacers in there. Another would be look at things like on top of the gas tank and see if the build sheet is still there. If it's a 95 it should have had a LT1, not an L98 engine. Too many things here just don't add up.

Last edited by hcbph; 12-12-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:44 PM
Jordan Davies
Heel & Toe

I cant return the car because they have done a runner so what do you recommend. personally i don't mind what year it is. i just want to know exactly what parts to buy so i know how to upgrade/replace the current ones with custom aftermarket performance parts.
The main part i needs that are causing issues are the Radiator and the Alternator. Does anyone know any parts you can link for me to purchase to replace? don't want refurbished. only want new/upgrades.

As long as she runs like a dream and i can have some fun in her I will be happy, that's the target.

Last edited by Jordan Davies; 12-12-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I cant return the car because they have done a runner so what do you recommend. personally i don't mind what year it is. i just want to know exactly what parts to buy so i know how to upgrade/replace the current ones with custom aftermarket performance parts.
The main part i needs that are causing issues are the Radiator and the Alternator. Does anyone know any parts you can link for me to purchase to replace? don't want refurbished. only want new/upgrades.

As long as she runs like a dream and i can have some fun in her I will be happy, that's the target.
Your base car I'd say is an '85, the emission label, 2 reservoir master cylinder, no ABS etc hint that. On the ear of the alternator if it's by chance still original would be some identification to buy either parts or an alternator. How do you know it needs an alternator?

Since your car has 5 spoke later wheels you should be able to take snapshots of your calipers through the spokes. That would confirm much. The SPID label in the storage compartment - let's have a better snapshot of it. If that's an '85 SPID it might answer nearly all of that which is unknown. the engine can certainly be identified with information from the block in front of the right cylinder head.

Radiator and alternator WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE!!! Radiator NEW but the 17SI GM alternator is going to likely require either a repair or a rebuilt. I'm quite sure it's a 17SI.

There are several here with '85 cars that would be very likely good to use information from to further ID your engine and chassis. Joe C, Randy M and others. Recently Joe C posted a snapshot of an alternator original identifier on the ear if it were maybe original.

Someone did some very unusual parts swaps and the change of the VIN tag in the windshield. When the snow clears and Spring arrives I'd say you'll enjoy!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-12-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Jordan Davies
Heel & Toe

The car had a faulty battery when i bought it so i bought a new battery and new connectors, i drove it but then it died again due to the alternator not recharging the battery (Typical Alternator electrical issues before the car died).
I dont want to sound daft but could you please send me a pic of the exact location you would like snaps of and i will do that first thing in the morning as its dark atm.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:49 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

If your front caliper looks like this it would answer many questions maybe. Post a snapshot of the label that's in the storage compartment, it should say Service Parts Identification - have the VIN and much information to ID it if it were original to the car. Make sure the information on it is legible.

Many have put later C4 panels on early cars - nothing ODD about that BUT most wouldn't have changed the windshield VIN plate. Here in the US - Canada etc it's 'illegal' - that's why I asked if it was registered, has passed safety inspections etc. If you're good with that your're fine. I'd think you'll NEVER be able to sell the car as a completely LEGAL driver.

Name:  C4 Early Caliper.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  92.8 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:59 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

I've been thinking on this one a little more, got some more ideas/questions.
First the well behind the seat looks like an abs unit was pulled - if so that makes the body at least an 86. I don't believe they ran brake lines through it in 1985 along with abs wiring, so that's a giveaway.
Isn't there a stamping on the frame below the battery that should at least partially match the windshield vin?
Is there a pellet on the ignition key - that started in 1986.
Is the parking brake a drum or not?
Wheel backspacing is 32 or 38 depending on rim width on the early C4's, it went to 56mm I believe in 1988.
Isn't there a pad on the engine that has a partial vin that should match the windshield vin if it's an original engine.
Also GM switched to a roller cam instead of a flat tappet cam in 1987, but again AFAIK they all had aluminum heads.

Run out of ideas, hope it helps. Other than identifying correct replacement parts, if you're happy with the car so much the better.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Jordan Davies
Heel & Toe

I don't remember seeing a sticker in the storage compartment so that's out the window.
I will take the images of the calipers in a few hours when its day time and post them.
The engine has already been confirmed that has a different VIN to the on in the dashboard window.

Please post any other images that you request to get more info on this car because i am seriously regretting buying this car now but at the same time i love it! (Left hand drive still hard to get used to)
Just want her all shiny, new, upgraded and running smooth with no issues.

Also, with what you have seen in the engine, if you know of any new performance parts that you know will fit. please link them and i will add them to the list to buy over the years.

(Sooner i have her running the better! Named her "Prince" the second i bought her)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I don't remember seeing a sticker in the storage compartment so that's out the window.
I'm sorry the SPID in your snapshots is of the '95 - In '95 it was moved from the console lid door back to the rear compartment area as it was in very early cars. So you should have the same VIN in 3 locations, 1) driver door, 2) windshield and 3) on the label in the compartment. Your snapshot in post #20 should have a matching VIN to all others likely!!

Was the car sold to you as a '95? You bought the car where? You mentioned 'runner' so was it shipped to you from somewhere else? Here in the US you would have legal complaints that wouldn't be hard to prove you were the victim of a FRAUDULENT sale!

If you paid '95 prices for an '85 car it's something maybe to consider!

We can explain to you where to find actual identification on the car that would verify the year. It's not a difficult project if you wanted to prove he FRAUDULENT SALE.

I'll bet LHD is tough to get used to. I had an Austin-Healey Sprite "bug-eye" RHD a few years here and it was interesting.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-12-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I am seriously regretting buying this car now but at the same time I love it!
You have no reason for regrets! There have been seven Forum members trying to help you, and many more rooting for you! You have found yourself a beautiful car, with a very puzzling history.

One observation I had is the fancy steering wheel. It appears that the front wheels are straight, but the steering wheel isn't. The steering wheel is mounted on a splined shaft, so the steering wheel can be mounted at any position. Strange problem, but an easy fix. It's interesting that the Vehicle Emission Control label (post #18) says the car is certified for sale in California!!!!

Prince did give us some nice music, but I think Johnny Cash was singing his song just for you!

Old 12-13-2017, 03:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

See if there's any information on your alternator in this location. This is a 17SI from Joe C who has an '85. If there's no information here maybe look for labels that might have information.

Name:  '85 Alternator.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  171.3 KB

To ID your engine you can find information here on the engine. I'm thinking you'll find one of these but regardless there's information there that can ID it very accurately. ZDF - ZJB - ZJC - ZJJ - ZJK With the A/T likely ZDF or ZJJ maybe.

Name:  '85 Engine ID.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  52.7 KB

There's also a label on your compressor. That could be used for clues also. An '85 should have an 1131476 on the label but in larger numbers just 476. Regardless post the 3 digit and 7 digit numbers you find on the label.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-13-2017 at 04:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jordan Davies (12-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C4 (L98) Parts help

Old 12-13-2017, 07:15 AM
Jordan Davies
Heel & Toe

Morning, I have been outside and taken all the photos you guys have recommended me to take, though i did struggle to find some so i hope what i provide you is enough.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 AM
Jordan Davies
Heel & Toe

I will admit, taking photos of all these parts does grind on me. because i just want to take them off and clean them all up! the rust isnt healthy looking.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

I will admit, taking photos of all these parts does grind on me. because i just want to take them off and clean them all up! the rust isnt healthy looking.
I'm going to comment here again.
Is this a car you're satisfied with overall and want to keep or not?

If no, then best to sell and move on.

If yes, then from what I remember your main issue is the alternator. You can get rebuild kits, I'm assuming there are places where you're at that rebuild alternators or buy a replacement. There should be some form of numbers on the alternator that identifies is, or look at replacements with the same connections on them.

I'm not up on export model Vettes but the assumption is the engine did not come in the car if it's truly a 90's model (which I doubt), but then again I suppose it's possible it was an engine used in exports. You can tell if the heads are cast or not - try a magnet on them, but with perimeter valve cover bolts sure looks like non-aluminum to me. Maybe look for casting identifiers on the block, might tell something. I still suspect it's an 85, early 86 or crate motor but can't tell for sure.

As far as rust goes, clean up and treat it. It will make you feel better and if you decide to sell it should help in the long run there.

Engine transplants happen all the time. I even one time had a 55 Dodge pickup with a 56 Desoto Hemi in it. Other than figuring out the year of the engine to buy the right parts for it, it was a fun ride and something I wish I still owned.

If the car is something you plan to keep, clean up what you need, maintain what needs maintenance and enjoy the ride. My 86 has a L98 in it also, it's a good solid torquey motor. May not be the fastest one out there, but it's a lot of fun none the less and very dependable overall.

Good luck.

PS not in front of the car at this time, but IIRC there is some form of cover on the outside of the calipers missing in the 2d caliper photo. Wouldn't hurt to get something over them to keep the dirt and brake dust out of them IMO.

Just had one additional thought. I've read where cars were stolen, vins changed then sold overseas. Not saying it is or isn't but it's also a possibility but without more detective work, no way to tell for sure.

Last edited by hcbph; 12-13-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: C4 (L98) Parts help