C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:59 PM
thornton310
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radio issues

I have a base 95, the stock radio with cassette player does not work and what I mean is when I turn it on, the antenna goes up, the speakers have sound, except that sound is static. I tried using one of those Bluetooth gadgets that connect to 88.3 FM and while I can see the device on my phone, the static continues. This happens on both AM and FM and when I scan to try to get something, nothing comes up and it continues to scan until I shut the radio off, willing to try almost anything, thanks.

Last edited by thornton310; 12-20-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:43 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Anything from the cassette?
Old 12-20-2017, 08:03 PM
thornton310
Racer

Originally Posted by JimLentz
Anything from the cassette?
Searched for a cassette and still static, thanks.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Had it been working normal and now it's a problem?

Is there any audio along with the static, or is there just static on all 4 speakers?

If you can try a cassette and it works OK, that will tell you if the speakers boxes are working OK. If not then there might be a problem with the tuner/pre-amp.

Is there any reason to suspect the antenna or it's connections.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:10 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

If you had a Bose system I would suspect a faulty CDM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

If you had a Bose system I would suspect a faulty CDM.
My thoughts as well but I thought a little more data and couple of simple tests would be nice before taking things apart.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:26 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pcolt94
My thoughts as well but I thought a little more data and couple of simple tests would be nice before taking things apart.
Sounds like with a cassette there is still static. I do not know much about the non-Bose system, but do understand it has an external tuner. I do not know if the cassette audio passes through the external tuner or not. If the cassette audio does go through the external tuner the tuner could be bad or the connector might be loose.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:25 PM
AJT84
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sounds like with a cassette there is still static. I do not know much about the non-Bose system, but do understand it has an external tuner. I do not know if the cassette audio passes through the external tuner or not. If the cassette audio does go through the external tuner the tuner could be bad or the connector might be loose.
Yes, even the base stereo system has a CDM (tuner/preamp) that is separate from the head unit. Exact location on a 95 I’m not sure. Maybe behind the seats? In my 92 it’s under the passenger kick panel but I believe these moved a lot especially when passenger air bags were installed. Not sure how you would troubleshoot which unit has failed. I recently used Doctor Don to refurb my base cassette and CDM. He did a good job and may help you over the phone. doctordon.com
Old 12-22-2017, 09:33 AM
thornton310
Racer

Sounds like I need to find the CDM then see if its the issue, thanks guys
Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

I sure the CDM is behind the passenger seat under the plastic tray as my 94 is. And yes all audio does go thru the CDM which acts as a pre-amp for the amps in the speaker boxes.

The CDM has 3 plugs to remove. Also the jack and the Styrofoam needs to be removed so you can pull out the CDM.

If you in Longwood you are close to Factory Car Stereo. You can just drive over and drop it off there. They can check it out and let you know the problems.
The following users liked this post:
thornton310 (12-24-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 10:52 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I sure the CDM is behind the passenger seat under the plastic tray as my 94 is. And yes all audio does go thru the CDM which acts as a pre-amp for the amps in the speaker boxes.

The CDM has 3 plugs to remove. Also the jack and the Styrofoam needs to be removed so you can pull out the CDM.

If you in Longwood you are close to Factory Car Stereo. You can just drive over and drop it off there. They can check it out and let you know the problems.
With the base system the amp is in the radio, but the audio probably still routes through the tuner box. If you have the FSM you might be able to track which wires feed the low level audio back into the radio and try injecting a signal there. I did something similar to test my Bose speakers with the amps in them.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio issues

Quick Reply: Radio issues