C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Clutch Suggestion

I'm looking to replace the clutch in my 1985 4+3. It's been chattering a bit and just in general I think it's a bit on the worn side. I will be dropping the transmission in the next month or so anyway so I figured that's a good time to just go ahead and swap the clutch, too.

I'm looking at a couple of options at this point. I've got a perfectcly good clutch on a donor car that I could potentially raid. That option is free, although from what I understand when you order a clutch it comes with installation tools that would be very useful in the swap.

I could also order a new clutch assembly. I'm wondering opinions on where I should get one/how much I should pay. I don't drag race my car (I actually drive it like a grandmother most of the time) but I'd like a decent clutch that is going to last a long while. Budget-friendly would be a plus, however. I know, I basically want a great clutch at a bargain price, but...what's a good middle ground? I don't know what is worth spending and what is overspending.

Thank you for your help!
Old 03-19-2018, 12:23 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

LUK makes a good OEM replacement clutch. Rockauto has them for $117 plus shipping. Most all clutch kits will include a new throwout bearing, a pilot bearing for the crank, and a clutch disc alignment tool.

Remove the flywheel and have the face machined. Inspect the slave cylinder for any leaking and replace if needed. Same for the clutch hydraulic hose too. In any event, flush and refill the clutch hydraulic fluid using a good quality DOT3 brake fluid.

A CenterForce clutch would be a good upgrade. It's a good heavy duty clutch that will take abuse. But it will cost more. Summit Racing will have them.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 03:27 PM
BTTB
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default clutch

check into center force ive had one in my 86 for years great clutch got it at summit

Last edited by BTTB; 03-19-2018 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
LUK makes a good OEM replacement clutch. Rockauto has them for $117 plus shipping. Most all clutch kits will include a new throwout bearing, a pilot bearing for the crank, and a clutch disc alignment tool.

Remove the flywheel and have the face machined. Inspect the slave cylinder for any leaking and replace if needed. Same for the clutch hydraulic hose too. In any event, flush and refill the clutch hydraulic fluid using a good quality DOT3 brake fluid.

A CenterForce clutch would be a good upgrade. It's a good heavy duty clutch that will take abuse. But it will cost more. Summit Racing will have them.
Oh believe me, I've done plenty with the clutch hydraulics Replaced them twice in the last two months as the replacements I bought went bad almost immediately. Luckily they're in pretty great shape at this point.

Can you define 'abuse' a little bit more? I don't ever take my car to the drag strip but I like the idea of having an upgraded clutch installed-I intend to keep this car for the long haul and enjoy driving it. It looks like the Centerforce is about $400 and the LUK is just over $100-is there really $300 of extra performance in there, especially for someone like me?

First manual car for me, and first time replacing a clutch-so I have no idea what's good. Thanks for the reply!

EDIT: Also, is it just a bad idea to re-use the donor clutch? I believe it was replaced not long before I bought it and may even be an upgraded clutch like the Centerforce. It bit HARD, much harder than my current Vette ever has, and overall felt very solid. I'm on a little bit of a budget for this car, but I don't want to skimp on things I shouldn't skimp on, either.

Last edited by Bfenty; 03-19-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Suggestion

Quick Reply: Clutch Suggestion