C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Air pump delete - question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 03:20 PM
corvetteracer72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air pump delete - question

I am about to get rid of the air pump . Already bought an air pump delete kit. Before doing it I started to look into the engine bay to see what is the amount of work it has to be done in order to do it . So the question is : - all the stuff on the right side of the engine , between the air intake/ throttle body and AC unit ( there are some electrical connectors , hoses, plastic parts, etc. ) can be taken out ?
I thought it is better to ask you guys before doing something stupid ....
Attached Images  

Last edited by corvetteracer72; 03-20-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:04 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

My personal advice would be to leave everything NOT related to the air pump (i.e., EGR, etc...). Plus, it looks like you have an earlier year than my 89....making my response somewhat less that expert on your engine.

When I removed mine, I built from the ground up. EGR was the only other thing I didn't "restore" with my 383 but I am living under the assumption that my cam is big enough to "bleed" more exhaust contamination into my cylinders. You didn't ASK about EGR but it's in that vicinity....making me think it's the first thing you might monkey with. FWIW, EGR doesn't hurt WOT performance since it's disabled under those conditions. It's cooling effect (in hot weather) should be considered beneficial to the engine -- as well as the environment.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

AIR has the pump which you will remove. It also has hoses that feed air into the exhaust manifolds. Those you can remove including the check valve which you will replace with pipe caps.

Unless you have cleared off the EGR in the ECM, I wouldn't touch it since you will get Code 32 soon as certain conditions are met. While not a problem, it could make you think that every check engine light is a Code 32 and ignore a true problem till it is too late. OTOH, the ECM is kinda crude and doesn't throw a code till something is way out of whack so your call. I wouldn't just because.

As Gregg said, it doesn't affect the WOT runs. Just the cruising which you may or may not want affected. The only good that comes out of it is to clear one thing more out of your engine bay or you have a manifold like mine that does NOT have an EGR fitting. Bottom line, unless you are getting a dyno tune, leave it alone.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:33 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

When I removed in my 86, I simply yanked it all and left the electrical connectors tied up. I also ditched EGR and did the headers and cat all in one go while it was out, but all you have to do on the AIR is put some caps over the exhaust manifold inlets.

I rarely got Code 32s afterwards, even in highway usage, but you can do the diode trick for now or ignore it, a 32 doesnt hurt anything. In the end, it should be taken out by a chip tuner.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:14 PM
corvetteracer72
Advanced

Originally Posted by vader86
When I removed in my 86, I simply yanked it all and left the electrical connectors tied up. I also ditched EGR and did the headers and cat all in one go while it was out, but all you have to do on the AIR is put some caps over the exhaust manifold inlets.

I rarely got Code 32s afterwards, even in highway usage, but you can do the diode trick for now or ignore it, a 32 doesnt hurt anything. In the end, it should be taken out by a chip tuner.
Can you be more specific on the "diode trick" ?
Never heard of it .

Thanks .
Old 03-21-2018, 03:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvetteracer72
Can you be more specific on the "diode trick" ?
Never heard of it .

Thanks .
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ode-trick.html

The link it goes to is expired but you can get an idea.

Question is why you are doing it. If you are doing headers and intake that don't have it, play ball. If not, I'd leave it alone till it breaks then do it. By then you may have had a chip to get rid of it.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:32 PM
corvetteracer72
Advanced

Originally Posted by aklim
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ode-trick.html

The link it goes to is expired but you can get an idea.

Question is why you are doing it. If you are doing headers and intake that don't have it, play ball. If not, I'd leave it alone till it breaks then do it. By then you may have had a chip to get rid of it.
I didn't understood ( from Vader's post ) that the diode trick relates only to the EGR ... Sorry .
I am going to leave the EGR as it is .
The only thing I'm planning to change/delete is the AIR sistem because also I will go with some long tube headers .

I also wanted to ask you about the black plastic part circled with red in the attached picture - Can you tell me what it is ? - seems to be a valve . Some hoses are connected to that.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvetteracer72
I didn't understood ( from Vader's post ) that the diode trick relates only to the EGR ... Sorry .
I am going to leave the EGR as it is .
The only thing I'm planning to change/delete is the AIR sistem because also I will go with some long tube headers .

I also wanted to ask you about the black plastic part circled with red in the attached picture - Can you tell me what it is ? - seems to be a valve . Some hoses are connected to that.
I believe that is the AIR division valve. If so there is a tube going to the catalytic converter and the other going to a one way check valve which splits off to 4 tubes each feeding an exhaust port in the exhaust manifold. I don't recall much since mine fell off a long time ago

Get notified of new replies

To Air pump delete - question

Quick Reply: Air pump delete - question