C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ECM tuning for 1985 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 PM
Eric Macnak
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aklim
But if you tune it, what difference would it make? It's only if you don't tune it that you would try to fool the ECM into thinking its cooler than it is so it enriches fueling or am I lookin at it wrong?
Honestly, I have done different things or locations with that sensor and nothing seems to change.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlaster9001
Did you relocate yours away from the plenum? Mine never gets so hot that I can't touch it, so I hope heat soaking will be less of an issue.
I stuck it in the manifold since the hole is there. The way I see it, say it is 50 degrees hotter than in the tube. So if it is already accounted for in the chip, I'm not seeing a difference. OTOH if you have it tuned for the manifold and you put it in the tube in front of the TB, it will make it seem like it is colder and the ECM will dump more fuel.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Eric Macnak
Honestly, I have done different things or locations with that sensor and nothing seems to change.
How did you measure the change? Even if you have a 1 HP gain, can your butt feel that? OTOH, they did promise you "UP TO X HP GAIN" which means anything from a loss to X HP gain is fair game.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:00 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Have a tuner burn another Prom for you. Mark Roman in Northern California still does a lot of the OBDI proms. Also, I think there is a Prom burner in Reno. I believe it is called Tuned Port Programming Services or something close to that name. The Prom burning is relative cheap like something around $100-200.

Mark Roman usually wants to put the car on a Dyno and burn a prom accordingly.

The guy in Reno will burn a Prom from previous tunes he has on file that matches your setup and mail it to you. For a $100 or $200 you really can't go wrong and it is worth a try than spending up to or more than a $1,000.

In my opinion, the best way to go these days is replace the OEM ECU with a Holley HP EFI ECU. It is a great system and my Tuner can make programming changes remotely over the internet directly to the ECU.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:56 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nokones
Mark Roman usually wants to put the car on a Dyno and burn a prom accordingly.

In my opinion, the best way to go these days is replace the OEM ECU with a Holley HP EFI ECU. It is a great system and my Tuner can make programming changes remotely over the internet directly to the ECU.
As many have alluded to, they can ride the ragged edge with more safety. It also translates to "I give myself more buffer room if I have to guess.".

We are looking at a $1200 plus tuning. It allows your tuner to take datalogs and make changes. Give or take $1500 assuming great conditions. I have the DP-Tuner F6 chip on my Powerstroke. It doesn't datalog but I borrowed the Destiny system to datalog and get rid of that stumble when I hit WOT. Since then, I haven't made any changes so that ability doesn't mean much to me. So if you are making many changes, you are right.

If this is a "one off" or even a "two off", it is going to be expensive even if you do the work yourself. More so if you don't. I wouldn't do it in my car simply because I want full functionality and I haven't heard anyone say that it communicates seamlessly with the BCM.
Old 08-18-2021, 11:40 PM
JudeTheDude
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a guy who tunes 85s

Originally Posted by RME1993
Hey guys,

I'm lost. I have a 1985 corvette that I recently just Re-built. In the engine I installed new heads, Slightly larger Injectors and a mild camshaft that is comparable to stock cam specs. I also did a smog delete to have less restriction on my airflow through the engine. My understanding (and i may likely be wrong) is the stock ECM will try and make my engine run like a stock.

My questions are can I run my engine with a stock ECM. Will it hurt my engine?

If I have to re-configure my ECM can it just be re programmed? (I spoke to a tune shop and they said it has to be replaced because its so old and its about $2,500 to do so) I've gotten mixed responses about that.
Lastly If i have to replace it can somebody recommend a good ECM that I can install without killing my bank acct?

i'm basically just running my engine a notch above stock and I'd prefer to not mess with my ECM for the time being if possible. Just re-stored this car and would like to have it on the road for a month or so before continuing my upgrades.

Thanks in advanced,
Just go to the link and call for more information. Thank me later 👌🏽 https://www.westersgarage.com/
Old 08-19-2021, 10:25 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Check with Jet Chip in Huntington Beach, CA or Tune Port Injection in Reno NV and see if they are still burning eProms for OBDI computers
Old 08-19-2021, 10:30 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Also, and this needs to be verified but, I hear that Mark Roman is no longer doing tunes.

Quick Reply: ECM tuning for 1985 Corvette