Air filter box - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Air filter box

Old 05-07-2018, 12:09 PM
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member

Default Air filter box

I am getting ready to do a MAF to MAP cpnversion on my 88' because I am going to swap computer systems.

So I am trying to decide what to do with the air intake from the throttle body forward.

My engine is modded so I think the small diameter of the stock MAF was a bit of restriction.

I was thinking of putting a 1990-1996 Air filter box, with a 1990-1991 coupler (throttle body to filter box).

Will the later style air filter box fit over the early style radiator shroud? ( I know the mounting bolt points are different). Anyone done this?

I have seen a picture of the SLP claw intake on an early C4 but that is kind of expensive for little to no HP gain vs a late style filter box.

My air filter box is broken anyway so I need to replace it regardless.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:20 AM
MikeP84
CF Senior Member

Good to see you are starting the swap! I also need to build/buy a new system for the air filter so I will be following for inspiration!
Old 05-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

I think your solution is a good one; the later air box with the '90-'91 ducting.

What is involved with swapping to MAP? I was to ditch the MAF on the 'Vette Kart. It hangs off the front of the motor like a limp d--k.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 PM
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member

Yes, as long as the later filter box fits under the hood then I think it will work well, just can't seem to find any reference to if it will fit under or not with the early fan shroud?

I am going to do the EBL flash computer swap which requires switching from MAF to MAP. My EBL kit should arrive at the end of this week with instructions on exactly how to do the swap, So I will have a better idea once it arrives exactly what is required. But from what I hear it uses the existing MAF wiring and us fairly strait forward... I'll update once I do the swap with the details.
The Following User Says Thank You to DMITTZ For This Useful Post:
Yariv (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DMITTZ View Post
Yes, as long as the later filter box fits under the hood then I think it will work well, just can't seem to find any reference to if it will fit under or not with the early fan shroud?
Ohhh....that's a good point. I didn't think about the fan shroud. IDK how the newer filter assy would fit or lay against the older shroud. Sorry, I can't help. I have both...but I recently chopped up my early filter housing and shroud. A week ago, I could have answered this for you.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:26 PM
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member

Ya hopefully someone one here has tried to do this swap, worst case I guess if it doesn't fit I can make an air filter box, but it would be a lot less work to just use a later style box if it fits...

I was suprised when I searched around there was nothing on this subject of the air filter box swaps, other than that a magazine had used an SLP claw intake on an LS swap early C4 corvette but they said it didn't just bolt up and took some adjustments....
Old 05-08-2018, 05:30 PM
ShadowC4
CF Senior Member

I did the claw swap when I changed my computer over to the holley efi on my 88. I had to cut a bit from the front of the radiator shroud to make room for the claw to clear the hood and drill new bolt holes.
It would be a tight fit with the newer air box but it might be able to fit without modification, at least under the hood since it is shorter then the claw.
One thing that I found out with the coupler is that it sits a tad funny with the stock thermostat housing under it.

I hope this helps. if you need measurements of the claw to compare or modifications I did, let me know.

Good luck on your swap!
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2018, 06:14 PM
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShadowC4 View Post
I did the claw swap when I changed my computer over to the holley efi on my 88. I had to cut a bit from the front of the radiator shroud to make room for the claw to clear the hood and drill new bolt holes.
It would be a tight fit with the newer air box but it might be able to fit without modification, at least under the hood since it is shorter then the claw.
One thing that I found out with the coupler is that it sits a tad funny with the stock thermostat housing under it.

I hope this helps. if you need measurements of the claw to compare or modifications I did, let me know.

Good luck on your swap!
Thank you so much for the information, the help is much appreciated.

Your engine looks awesome!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:02 PM
allout1
CF Member

I have my stock air filter box from my 1996 if anyone needs it
Old 05-09-2018, 11:55 PM
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by allout1 View Post
I have my stock air filter box from my 1996 if anyone needs it
That would be really great. I'll send you a PM shortly.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:27 AM
MikeP84
CF Senior Member

I know you said yours is broken but have you thought about just using a long silicone tube or aluminum tube? Is the maf the only thing that you think is restricting air flow or do you think its the box too? I was thinking about using your style air box for my car but if you are concerned about air flow then so would I haha
Old 05-10-2018, 01:54 AM
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikeP84 View Post
I know you said yours is broken but have you thought about just using a long silicone tube or aluminum tube? Is the maf the only thing that you think is restricting air flow or do you think its the box too? I was thinking about using your style air box for my car but if you are concerned about air flow then so would I haha
Hi MikeP84 Using a stock style box is certainly an option if the map was replaced with a piece of tube...

However on the Later L98 and LT1 cars the 'pinch' in the intake track was eliminated... I have to think that Chevy enlarged the intake tubing because it was a bit of a restriction. Maybe its not much of an issue at stock HP but for our cars I could definetly see gaining a small amount of HP with a larger intake tube ( just my opinion). It also always seemed strange to me to see the MAF tube so small compared to the throttlebody I haven't seen that on any other cars.

So in short I was wanting to use the later style intake box and tube to elminate any potental restrictions with the early style intake. Not sure if it will gain much but I would guess we would see a small gain, and the later style looks better IMHO.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:28 PM
MikeP84
CF Senior Member

Ahh ok, just wondering! It does look a little restrictive. When you get the new filter box update us and take lots of pics like you normally do as I will probably be doing the same upgrade. I thought about building my own which would be cool and probably look better IMO but why recreate the wheel ya know.

Also, when I get my tune worked out a little more I will adjust it for your car and send it to you so you'll be mostly done before you even begin!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:08 PM
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member

That would be wonderful, thank you.

Yes once I figure out the air filter box issue I will update. Allout1 is going do some measurements of his stock 96 box for me to make sure it will fit between the shroud and the hood.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:18 PM
MikeP84
CF Senior Member

No prob! It should be able to get you up and running pretty good right away
Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 PM
DMITTZ
CF Senior Member

Hi Guy's thought I would give an answer to this thread.

I went out to a guy's house today who was parting out an 86' and a 95' corvette. Unfortunatly the air filter box on the 95' was broken when I looked at it (he didn't mention it when I asked about it on the phone But I did have a chance to briefly compare the two styles of fikter box... it doen't look to me like a late box will work very well on am early car. The issue is that the filter boxes on these cars come up and over the radiators, but the angle they bend at to go over the radiators is different. So if you put a late box on an early car the filter part will end up squished up near the hood. It Might fit but it would proabbly have poor flow into the filter which would negate any gains in flow from eliminating the 'necked down' part of the early car's intake track.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:04 AM
blackozvet
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DMITTZ View Post
Hi Guy's thought I would give an answer to this thread.

I went out to a guy's house today who was parting out an 86' and a 95' corvette. Unfortunatly the air filter box on the 95' was broken when I looked at it (he didn't mention it when I asked about it on the phone But I did have a chance to briefly compare the two styles of fikter box... it doen't look to me like a late box will work very well on am early car. The issue is that the filter boxes on these cars come up and over the radiators, but the angle they bend at to go over the radiators is different. So if you put a late box on an early car the filter part will end up squished up near the hood. It Might fit but it would proabbly have poor flow into the filter which would negate any gains in flow from eliminating the 'necked down' part of the early car's intake track.
you can use silicone hose to do it, this is my old setup - I actually had some alloy tube inside the silicone as it went over the radiator, when the hood closed it ovaled it a bit but it then stayed at the correct clearance (where the 2 clamps are)-then used a 45 degree angle piece to a pod filter.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:22 PM
RWDsmoke
CF Senior Member

This is what I use on my 86.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air filter box

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: