C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Long crank before start.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:30 PM
mlm0
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

This is the article I was referring to about 89 ecu causing long cranking

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/200...tion-overview/

Old 06-07-2018, 12:26 PM
silentgt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Fuel pressure is fine, what exactly happens when you try and start the car, in other words what does it sound like? If you could get a video of that it could help us figure it out. Is the computer chip stock for a 1989? I would also look at your engine temperature sensor, the sensor may be reading incorrectly causing the engine to think it is warm when the engine is cold and not adding in enough starting fuel. The best way to do this is with a scanner.

Ok here is a video of it starting
. Usually its a longer crank than this but you get the idea. I don't know if the chip is stock as this car has had many owners. How do I tell? The problem with that theory is that it starts like this when its hot too so even if you are right, and its not detecting the cold correctly, it shouldn't do after it was just driven.

mcguirjf - The pressure is not zero after shutting or before turning on the car.

mlmo - I want to rule out the ecu for now unless someone has a good way of testing that.

xrav22 - I only run 91 octane.

After the testing I did at the rail, can fuel related issues be eliminated as the cause at this point or does this need further investigation?

Last edited by silentgt; 06-07-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:41 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

cts
Old 06-07-2018, 01:33 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 463 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by silentgt
Ok here is a video of it starting https://youtu.be/6z7EorpbpOc . Usually its a longer crank than this but you get the idea. I don't know if the chip is stock as this car has had many owners. How do I tell? The problem with that theory is that it starts like this when its hot too so even if you are right, and its not detecting the cold correctly, it shouldn't do after it was just driven.

mcguirjf - The pressure is not zero after shutting or before turning on the car.

mlmo - I want to rule out the ecu for now unless someone has a good way of testing that.

xrav22 - I only run 91 octane.

After the testing I did at the rail, can fuel related issues be eliminated as the cause at this point or does this need further investigation?
That video did not tell me much, the car started pretty well for it being cold. What does it usually do?
Old 06-07-2018, 03:57 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

where is the long start??? that wasn't bad....you have checked or rechecked the timing I hope....sound like you're very close....
Old 06-07-2018, 05:16 PM
silentgt
Advanced

Originally Posted by bjankuski
That video did not tell me much, the car started pretty well for it being cold. What does it usually do?

Ok so I tried something else today. I drove the car for 30 minutes and then shut it off and on three times. All three times it started in half a second of cranking. This is the behavior I'm expecting to happen when things are normal (at least that's how my more modern car starts). If the vette sits for say 30 minutes or longer, I start getting the longer crank as in the video. Is this normal for an older car like this or should I look into your temperature sensor theory?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:59 PM
zapc
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is absolutely an 89 unique problem. try cranking for 3 or 4 seconds, stop, crank again and it will then start almost immediately. it can crank for 10- 15 seconds if you do not stop in between. my 89 and almost every other person I have spoken to has this issue. its the first year without a cold start injector. they got the tuning right in 90
The following users liked this post:
silentgt (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:18 AM
silentgt
Advanced

Originally Posted by zapc
it is absolutely an 89 unique problem. try cranking for 3 or 4 seconds, stop, crank again and it will then start almost immediately. it can crank for 10- 15 seconds if you do not stop in between. my 89 and almost every other person I have spoken to has this issue. its the first year without a cold start injector. they got the tuning right in 90

Damn, you are right. I tried this and it worked. I'm guessing there is no solution for the 89?
Old 06-08-2018, 09:25 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 463 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by silentgt
Damn, you are right. I tried this and it worked. I'm guessing there is no solution for the 89?
Have the chip reprogrammed for additional starting fuel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long crank before start.