C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 corvette mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 01:11 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Ok, thanks for all of your help. I think I am deciding on getting the 3” true duals with a crossover right when the pipes get close to each other then then run the 3” pipes into these https://www.corvettemods.com/C4-Corv...n_p_15398.html chambered muffler eliminators with the 3.5” slant rolled tips. I like the rolled ends, it gives extra chrome. I’ll just go ahead and get the 3” pipes because that way it is the best flow possible whether it needs all of it or not. One other thing I wondered is if you guys know the inlet of these allen’s chambered muffler eliminators? I don’t see anywhere that you can ask the inlet to find out. I also found these mufflers on eBay a little cheaper but I don’t think I trust them because the picture is the same for whatever tips you pick and the pictures look the same for chambered and non-chambered here https://www.ebay.com/i/263487949435?...3D263487949435
Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Oh, and I meant to say that I am getting long tube headers probably next year so this exhaust should sound really good with them too. I’m not getting it all done at the same time because then it would be really expensive at one time instead of doing them seperately
Old 06-14-2018, 02:34 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I agree do ceramic coated. Everything under the hood will thank you.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:43 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

3rd-ing the ceramic coated opinion. Will keep the headers hot, without radiating much heat at all. I've got several burns on my arms from thinking the car is cool enough to work on (the headers were not radiating any heat), yet when I accidentally touched them, they burned me real good. Plus, the heat they seal in will help you get to closed loop quicker, and keep you in open loop when at idle - some people's pipes cool enough that it drops into open loop
Old 06-14-2018, 05:26 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

What is the cheapest ceramic long tube headers you can find? The only ones I see are at least $500 and I didn’t want to spend that much. I found the Hedman 68440 which are uncoated and I was planning on coating them myself by buying the right coating and then heat the engine up in small amounts so they are heat cured. These are only $165 and from what I have heard everyone say they fit good, but just don’t last as long as the good kind. I know they won’t be coated as good as the ceramic kind but I thought if I take my time they would be as good of performance, but maybe not last forever like the best kind do.
Edit: Actually I found the Hedman 68446 for $450 but that seemed to expensive to me for Hedman which isn’t known as being the best brand.

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 06-14-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:21 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 CRVET
What is the cheapest ceramic long tube headers you can find? The only ones I see are at least $500 and I didn’t want to spend that much. I found the Hedman 68440 which are uncoated and I was planning on coating them myself by buying the right coating and then heat the engine up in small amounts so they are heat cured. These are only $165 and from what I have heard everyone say they fit good, but just don’t last as long as the good kind. I know they won’t be coated as good as the ceramic kind but I thought if I take my time they would be as good of performance, but maybe not last forever like the best kind do.
Edit: Actually I found the Hedman 68446 for $450 but that seemed to expensive to me for Hedman which isn’t known as being the best brand.
I think you better rethink your goals with this car....maintaining a stock one is expensive enough, doing mods is never cheap....it takes serious money to bring these cars back to life....you need to be thinking I need the best product available, not the cheapest....I don't think in the end you'll be happy trying to mod your c4 the cheapest way....
Old 06-14-2018, 08:04 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

I see you referring to the Allens Chambered Exhaust as a "Muffler Eliminator". That is not entirely true. They make and offer a complete Chambered Exhaust System, it is the entire exhaust system not just a muffler eliminator. They even offered side pipes for my car if I wanted them. Too noisy for me and I have enough burn scars on my legs from Motorcycle days. The people at Allens make stock style replacement exhaust systems and pretty much anything you want.

As I mentioned before I have two Corvettes with Allens Chambered Exhaust systems. On my 1968 they connect to my long tube headers and go all the way out the rear. This system was very easy to install. The other Corvette is a C4 with it's catalytic converter, on this car the system from Allens was a Cat-back system. I ordered a high flow catalytic and installed it while installing the Cat-back system. Now I have a nice high flow catalytic converter and a nice sounding clean running car.

Trying to coat your own system with the ceramic coatings is not easy or cheap. Just buy the header with the coating. Hedman headers replaced mine after two years when spots started appearing on the headers. You can get them professionally coated for about $200 if you look around. Doing it yourself is a bad idea. It really needs to be cooked on in a oven designed for this application. If you can't afford the Coating just go to the local hardware and get yourself some Flat Black bar-b-que paint and spray the pipes as needed.

Cross overs for the exhaust are supposed to make more power, I don't have any as I love sitting in back of the car and listening to it Pop away. Again to enjoy the sound from a Chambered exhaust system you need to get out and go to the rear of the car.

In my 1968 C3 convertible driving at 70 mph with the top down I can still listen to the radio or carry on a conversation with my passenger. I love the sounds of a muscle car but not all the time. When I come home I don't offend anybody with noise, the Corvette itself gets more attention than the sound does. I like it this way for me and my Corvettes.

Last edited by ctmccloskey; 06-14-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
I see you referring to the Allens Chambered Exhaust as a "Muffler Eliminator". That is not entirely true. They make and offer a complete Chambered Exhaust System, it is the entire exhaust system not just a muffler eliminator. They even offered side pipes for my car if I wanted them. Too noisy for me and I have enough burn scars on my legs from Motorcycle days. The people at Allens make stock style replacement exhaust systems and pretty much anything you want.

As I mentioned before I have two Corvettes with Allens Chambered Exhaust systems. On my 1968 they connect to my long tube headers and go all the way out the rear. This system was very easy to install. The other Corvette is a C4 with it's catalytic converter, on this car the system from Allens was a Cat-back system. I ordered a high flow catalytic and installed it while installing the Cat-back system. Now I have a nice high flow catalytic converter and a nice sounding clean running car.

Trying to coat your own system with the ceramic coatings is not easy or cheap. Just buy the header with the coating. Hedman headers replaced mine after two years when spots started appearing on the headers. You can get them professionally coated for about $200 if you look around. Doing it yourself is a bad idea. It really needs to be cooked on in a oven designed for this application. If you can't afford the Coating just go to the local hardware and get yourself some Flat Black bar-b-que paint and spray the pipes as needed.

Cross overs for the exhaust are supposed to make more power, I don't have any as I love sitting in back of the car and listening to it Pop away. Again to enjoy the sound from a Chambered exhaust system you need to get out and go to the rear of the car.

In my 1968 C3 convertible driving at 70 mph with the top down I can still listen to the radio or carry on a conversation with my passenger. I love the sounds of a muscle car but not all the time. When I come home I don't offend anybody with noise, the Corvette itself gets more attention than the sound does. I like it this way for me and my Corvettes.
I call the Allen's eliminators because you no longer have the big muffler hanging off the back. Just the smaller chambered pipe.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

I went with Melrose's long tube system, wad 1200 bucks all told, including the ceramic coating. That cost also included all pipes to the mufflers.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:04 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok, well maybe I will just wait for the long tube headers until I can get the ceramic kind then. I want to upgrade the car I just didn’t want to pay a lot extra for the ceramic if I could have made the uncoated ones almost as good. I called them muffler eliminators just because I’m not getting the whole system, just the muffler part. Thanks for all of your suggestions and letting me know what the best way to upgrade it is.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:13 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

So I guess the only other thing I was wondering is if you guys know what the inlet of allen’s Chambered mufflers are. I know what pipes and I’m getting these mufflers I think now but I was just not sure what size the inlet is on these.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:51 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

So I guess the only other thing I was wondering is if you guys know what the inlet of allen’s Chambered mufflers are. I know what pipes and I’m getting these mufflers I think now but I was just not sure what size the inlet is on these.
If you call them they'll tell you. I believe it is 2.5. Also if you call I'm sure they'll custom make a 3 inch too.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok thanks, I have sent him an email already to ask how much he would charge to create the chambered mufflers with 3 inch inlet and also how much he would charge to create a full straight pipe 3 inch exhaust with a crossover to these mufflers too.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:15 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Ok thanks, I have sent him an email already to ask how much he would charge to create the chambered mufflers with 3 inch inlet and also how much he would charge to create a full straight pipe 3 inch exhaust with a crossover to these mufflers too.
Cool. They're a great company to deal with. If you check out their website they list a bunch of available options. Should help work an idea out.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 06-16-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:27 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I sent Allen’s an email the other day but they never got back with me yet. Maybe I will have to call them sometime this week and I will post what they say then.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:41 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I called them today and it is $440 for the pipes and chambered muffler eliminators plus $70 shipping. They don’t make the crossover or 3 inch pipe but they make 2.5” pipes. I think I will be ordering them soon here and then get them installed. Do you guys think I should get the stainless for $200 more or do you think aluminum is good?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:50 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

I called them today and it is $440 for the pipes and chambered muffler eliminators plus $70 shipping. They don’t make the crossover or 3 inch pipe but they make 2.5” pipes. I think I will be ordering them soon here and then get them installed. Do you guys think I should get the stainless for $200 more or do you think aluminum is good?
Are the pipes plain aluminum? Or aluminum-steel, aka Aluminized steel, or dipped steel?

Will you drive in the winter or on salty/dirty/rocky roads? If so, go for stainless. If not, the aluminum-steel will last plenty long - the stock pipes are aluminum-steel, and they've lasted ~30 years. Road salt, mud/dirt, and rocky/dusty roads can cause aluminum-steel to rust over time.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 corvette mufflers

Old 06-19-2018, 08:31 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

They say aluminized so it must be aluminized steel. I live in Ohio so there is a lot of snow in the winter and it rains a decent amount in the summer but I don’t drive my car in the rain and will not drive at all if there is salt on the ground. I am probably going to store it inside if I can for the worst 3-4 months during winter time. Do you think it would be worth it to pay the extra $200 and get stainless or just get the aluminized would you think then?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

They say aluminized so it must be aluminized steel. I live in Ohio so there is a lot of snow in the winter and it rains a decent amount in the summer but I don’t drive my car in the rain and will not drive at all if there is salt on the ground. I am probably going to store it inside if I can for the worst 3-4 months during winter time. Do you think it would be worth it to pay the extra $200 and get stainless or just get the aluminized would you think then?
200 is pretty cheap for an upgrade to stainless. That said, if you ever need to weld it yourself, aluminum-steel welds much easier. I drive mine in rain, and the aluminum steel shows no signs of rust after one year. A few spots have shown up, but they are such light rust that a rag can wipe it off.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:11 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok thank you for letting me know. I think if I get that system from Allen’s then I will just get the stainless. I am going to call my local shop to see what they can do to create 3 inch duals into an x pipe and then 2.5” pipes to Allen’s chambered mufflers after the x pipe. If they can’t do that then I will get Allen’s system.

Quick Reply: 1985 corvette mufflers