C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 corvette mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

So I called my local exhaust shop today and told them I wanted 3 inch duals into an x pipe that is 2.5 inches and pipes after that into the chambered mufflers I will bring to them. They said it would only be $250. I thought this seems like a really good price for this. I am going to bring it to them and they will put the aluminized pipes on in 2-3 weeks. So I will order the mufflers within the next week or so and when they come I will make an appointment with the exhaust shop. Thanks for all of your guys info on what exhaust would be the best and helping me make a decision.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

I finally got a video of the finished exhaust but the file isn’t accepted so I will have to record it with a different device. They ended up doing 2.5” the whole way because they didn’t want it to get too close to the transmission. So it is 2.5” duals with an h pipe that they did into Allen’s chambered muffler eliminators which were made in 2.5” too. It sounds really good to me and has the loud idle sound. Thanks for all of
your help making the decision.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:45 PM
tdereggi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you made a good choice going 2.5".. Anything larger would likely result in reduction of power due to lost velocity, for anything under 400 horsepower. On my 85 I stared with Borla 2.5" Cat back (3" intake split to 2 -2.5" ), which sounded great, and then added TPIS headers (3" collectors, 1-3/4" intakes) and deleted the CAT and Airpump., which sounded deeper but made it louder. I did the Borla cause I absolutely Loved that sound at Idle. Very bad ***. When I drive by myself, I love it, I can just listen to the pur of the engine, no need to even listen to a radio. BUT.... the side effect was it became impossible to carry on a conversation in the cockpit while driving, just too loud. The novelty of it wore off quickly. I put the CAT back on, and that helped a lot to tame the noise. I majorly redid sound proofing when I changed the carpet, and that barely made a difference. Although I like the sound, for functional reasons, Im considering switching out the Borla mufflers to something that would be less loud at cruising speeds..(no mufflers is less loud). But I want to keep my Borla rear Y-Pipe that exits with 2.5" pipe. I didn't go back to stock cause that's only 2-1/4". So my question to you is..... How do your 2.5" Allens chambered eliminators sound at cruising speed? Conversation compatable? Anyone have any other recommendations for lower volume mufflers that support 2.5" pipe intake? (understand might need to make the connecting pipes).
Old 07-28-2018, 09:56 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I don’t have a cat on mine, I’m going to add two hi flow cats when I get long tube headers sometime. So mine is 2.5” duals into the chambered mufflers. At around 35 mph it gets a little loud to talk to the person next to you but you can still hear each other if you talk a little loud. So it is loud at cruising speed but you can still talk to someone next to you. But I really like the sound of these at idle, they sound like an old muscle car.

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 07-28-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 1985 corvette mufflers