C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 corvette mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 02:10 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 1985 corvette mufflers

I am going to be getting a 3” true dual exhaust on my corvette and was wondering what mufflers should be the best. I really like the kbd targa mufflers but they might be too small of an inlet. Would 2 1/2 inlet hurt the performance of 3” true dual exhaust? If so I want it to sound like and old muscle car and have the quad round exhaust out the back. What mufflers would be good for this? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:26 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Since everything sounds different to everyone, my suggestion is to check out YouTube and listen to several different combinations.

A consideration (or not?) would be drone. I'm way drone averse so my muffler choices are partially driven by mufflers that have no resonance.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:54 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I like my corvette loud so the drone probably won’t bother me, I am getting an x pipe toward the front a little after the headers but as long as it doesn’t hurt performance I will get the kbd. If it would hurt it then I will get different mufflers because I want to get up to 300 hp from the engine after some other mods.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:02 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

when I did the headers, I got an "x" pipe and put two red "cherry bombs". coming out of each x and ran pipes (muffler eliminators] to the end....looks stock but isn't... I've heard walker continentals have a sound too....
Old 06-12-2018, 04:54 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

They're 2.5 but... Mid america eliminators. I think Allen's stainless makes 3 inch chambered eliminators...
Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 CRVET
I like my corvette loud so the drone probably won’t bother me, I am getting an x pipe toward the front a little after the headers but as long as it doesn’t hurt performance I will get the kbd. If it would hurt it then I will get different mufflers because I want to get up to 300 hp from the engine after some other mods.
I have an 85, did long tubes to cat delete, 3in till the Borla mufflers that are 2.25in. Butt dyno confirmed, performance was better. I don't think the mufflers are restrictive in a meaningful way - quick scratch math I did when sizing stuff indicated that the exhaust gas is cool enough at the mufflers that flow rate is higher there than the collectors.

Take my math with a grain of salt, I am well aware there is more at play than gas law/Bernoulli's equation, and that exhaust is not a laminar flow. Just the rationalization of my .02
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok thanks for all of your help. I think I will be getting the kbd targas within the next couple months with 2.5” tips since it doesn’t hurt the performance. The muffler eliminators do sound good too but I just like the looks of the kbd a lot and they are somewhat of a muffler too which I wanted and people say they sound like old muscle cars. 84 4+3 that does sound good and those flags are pretty neat. Will you have them on there for the Fourth of July?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:46 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Ok thanks for all of your help. I think I will be getting the kbd targas within the next couple months with 2.5” tips since it doesn’t hurt the performance. The muffler eliminators do sound good too but I just like the looks of the kbd a lot and they are somewhat of a muffler too which I wanted and people say they sound like old muscle cars. 84 4+3 that does sound good and those flags are pretty neat. Will you have them on there for the Fourth of July?
I run them most of the time I drive the car local. They don't fare well doing 75 for sustained periods of time though. I've been taking them off more because that flag material is very soft and the colors are vibrant and I haven't found a decent replacement for them that is close in size. The ends are slightly frayed and I've been stitching the ends to preserve them.

The eliminators are still mufflers. The tips are actually a tube. They're probably similar to the targas. The idle is very old school sounding but wot is a strange sound I just can't explain. It is a hybrid of old school muscle and LS sound I guess. It is very distinct to say the least. I have the zr-1 tips only because when I bought the car it had Zr-1 tips and I always felt that looked right.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you like a quiet cruise, Corsa. If you like a loud drone, with a good bit of resonance, Borla or B&B. Most of the others are just a little quieter than the latter. Flowmasters tend to resonate but of course I havent tried all their series. I run Power Effects that you cannot get new anymore.

Mine steps down from 3" at the headers to 2.5"
Old 06-13-2018, 01:37 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok, I will decide between switching to 2.5” right before the mufflers and get the kbd 2.5” tips or I will get the 3 inch chambered eliminators like 84 4+3 is talking about. I like both of these because they give it that gurgling idle sound the old muscle cars have and I like the crackling sound it gives when shifting and decelerating. I’m leaning toward the kbd’s a little bit because I like the looks of them because my corvette is black with a little red and chrome and I think these would match it good. Thanks for letting me know some other options and if it could hurt performance. So how much do you think it would be for a shop to create the 3 inch exhaust all the way back and install the mufflers? I was thinking a little less than $300.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:49 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Ok, I will decide between switching to 2.5” right before the mufflers and get the kbd 2.5” tips or I will get the 3 inch chambered eliminators like 84 4+3 is talking about. I like both of these because they give it that gurgling idle sound the old muscle cars have and I like the crackling sound it gives when shifting and decelerating. I’m leaning toward the kbd’s a little bit because I like the looks of them because my corvette is black with a little red and chrome and I think these would match it good. Thanks for letting me know some other options and if it could hurt performance. So how much do you think it would be for a shop to create the 3 inch exhaust all the way back and install the mufflers? I was thinking a little less than $300.
My pipes from collectors to muffler elbows was 300 bucks, alluiminzed steel. It was slip-fit stuff though, whereas I imagine a shop would end up welding something up. Could always call around you and get a few spitball quotes. Make sure they know to install a hanger at the end of the c-beam if you delete cats/add and x-pipe. At least on my 85, there was no hanger behind the cats until the mufflers. There were holes drilled in the c-beam to allow for a hanger, it could have been mine was removed? Girlfriend's 86 has the hanger on her stock system.

Edit: I should add the piping was 300 for the pipes, no labor included since I did it.

Last edited by TheBlaster9001; 06-13-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:14 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok, so I should look at something a little over $300 then since I can’t do this work and I need them to install the mufflers to them pipes too. Do you think it would be better to tell them to make an x pipe added to it right when the pipes come close to each other or for me to buy an x pipe ready for them to add to the pipes they create? I was thinking it would be better to just tell them to create it with the pipes. And yes I plan on having no cats on it so it flows the best. I don’t drive it that much anyway. I will call the local place and see if they will do it for something close to $300

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 06-13-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:24 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Ok, so I should look at something a little over $300 then since I can’t do this work and I need them to install the mufflers to them pipes too. Do you think it would be better to tell them to make an x pipe added to it right when the pipes come close to each other or for me to buy an x pipe ready for them to add to the pipes they create? I was thinking it would be better to just tell them to create it with the pipes. And yes I plan on having no cats on it so it flows the best. I don’t drive it that much anyway. I will call the local place and see if they will do it for something close to $300
Let them do the x-pipe, so that they can't make any excuses about it not fitting. They will be able to work best with a clean canvas. You don't technically need an x-pipe, and it would likely be cheaper without it - but x-pipes can have performance gains, and do cut down on drone. I bet you could get close to 300, labor included, using galvanized pipes. Maybe a little more considering they will have to weld it up and mount mufflers.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:38 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok, well hopefully my local exhaust shop can do it and for around that price. I don’t live close to a big city where there is a lot of choices. I will be calling them soon and will be buying the mufflers within the next few weeks when I decide on the kbd’s or the chambered eliminators. I think I want an x-pipe so that it doesn’t drone too much even though I like it loud. I just wouldn’t like it so loud you can’t talk to the person next to you without yelling.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My first exhaust was done by an old redneck with a garage in the woods for $225, I had the headers on the car and the mufflers in the back. My next was mandrel bent but was around $300 altogether.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

I found a way to eliminate weight and make a great sound. I am using a "Chambered" exhaust system by Allen's Stainless Steel Exhaust out of Indiana. They sound great BEHIND the car. While driving I love the sound but it is not at all obtrusive. It is not much louder inside than it had been. You totally eliminate those big bulky mufflers and you still pass State Inspection.

I like these systems so much that I bought 2 complete systems. I have one on a 1968 C3 BB Convertible and the other for my 1988 C4 Corvette.

I installed the Chambered systems almost 20 years ago and they are still on the cars. The sound is very healthy, very powerful V8! On the C3 I have very high compression and when you listen to the engine it sounds like it is spitting out the exhaust while at idle.

I have been in a 1967 Corvette with a Small block 327-350 hp (?) with factory side pipes and that car was just plain unpleasant to be in. It was a convertible and the noise was so bad you could not speak to the driver or passenger. I have flown open cockpit air craft that were quieter than that beautiful Red with white leather and a white top Corvette.

The chambered systems from Allen's were my first experience with the chambered concept. I am completely satisfied with both of the systems I have bought so long ago. More importantly my neighbors are not upset as the noise can be controlled.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:04 PM
84Whitebird
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mine has a Borla cat back system on it. I love the sound but it isn't quite loud enough for me. I'll be working on that part of it.
The following users liked this post:
fparkin (08-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 corvette mufflers

Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Now that you guys are saying how good allen’s eliminators are I think I may be deciding on them. I don’t think I would want the whole chambered system because I was wanting the 3 inch true duals. I found the chambered muffler eliminators here https://www.corvettemods.com/C4-Corv..._p_15398.html#. What inlet would these be? I don’t see anything that tells that but I’m thinking about getting these with the 3.5” rolled tips. Would some of you guys who have the chambered eliminators mind posting a video of your car at idle? I heard one online and wanted to make sure I like the sound but I bet I would if it sounds like old muscle cars. I know you had a video of driving 84 4+3, do you have one at idle sound too? Thanks
Old 06-14-2018, 08:23 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Never mind 84 4+3, you already had one at idle and it sounded like the old muscle cars and like these videos I wanted mine to sound like.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qxubb or
and I think those chambered eliminators with true duals should sound about like this shouldn’t it?

Last edited by 85 CRVET; 06-14-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:58 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

This is the best quality I can get. Now here i have a very mild cam so it's going to sound a little different than stock.

Quick Reply: 1985 corvette mufflers