C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF six speed problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:24 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
BTW;

another option is to move the idle speed up until the noise is minimal....that’s where mine was annoying...w/o the clutch engaged.

I moved my idle speed up to 1,000 RPM which nearly eliminated the “ rocks in a can” sound w/o the clutch engaged...Now, I run a Holley HP ECM making that adjustment much easier.... but with my cam, the idle is smooth...just not as lumpy like it used to be...
The noise at idle is annoying but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it is when accelerating in all six gears. I wish it was only noisy at idle, I could live with that.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 06-29-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:19 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
The noise at idle is annoying but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it is when accelerating in all six gears. I wish it was only noisy at idle, I could live with that.

interesting....well, I am speculating based on my experience. You could have other problems.....let us know what ZF Doc says! He knows more about these trannies than I will ever know!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:30 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Everyone has focused in on the elements that cause the "ZF RATTLE"....but that is a rattle. Are we sure that's the problem?

I think the problem may be something else. ZF rattle doesn't typically happen when underway/under load. And trans whine should diminish in higher gears....with none in 4th gear. I think it's something else.

yes it would occur on mine under load. Esp in first and if lugging it in too high of a gear up a hill.

the rocks in a can neutral noise is not an issue as thats not how i normally drive the car.

(if im at a drive thru, i turn car off - its loud for other reasons like exhaust)
Old 07-01-2018, 06:52 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

ZF doc called me yesterday and said that he would be here in Tucson tomorrow (which is now today) and asked if I could bring him the car today instead of next week. Of course I said yes and drove out to where he was at to let him drive the car. After he took it for a test drive he said that there is nothing wrong with the trans other than it having the infamous "ZF rattle" that these transmissions are notorious for. He said that his countershaft shim will fix it. He also thinks that I may have a solid clutch disc in it, if so he said to replace it with a sprung disc. I'm really glad that the trans isn't bad, that all I need to do is shim it and possibly have to replace the clutch disc.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:49 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Well....I was way off on this one! Glad the trans is good.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:30 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

That’s great! If you still want the shim kit PM me. Also note that I ordered it in February of this year.

Steve
Old 07-02-2018, 12:31 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
That’s great! If you still want the shim kit PM me. Also note that I ordered it in February of this year.

Steve
I was going to buy your shim but ZF doc brought a shim kit and a few other ZF things with him and I felt kind of obliged to buy the shim from him since he took time out of his day to meet me and diagnose my trans for free. Sorry about that but I didn't want to say to ZF doc "no thanks, I can get one cheaper somewhere else", it just wouldn't be right to do that to him.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

I was going to buy your shim but ZF doc brought a shim kit and a few other ZF things with him and I felt kind of obliged to buy the shim from him since he took time out of his day to meet me and diagnose my trans for free. Sorry about that but I didn't want to say to ZF doc "no thanks, I can get one cheaper somewhere else", it just wouldn't be right to do that to him.
I totally understand. No problem. Now enjoy the Vette!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:39 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

That pretty much went the way I thought. These trannies rarely fail, but often make noise when put behind a single mass FW; especially an aluminum piece like mine and yours!! I mentioned idle in mine since that is the most noticeable to me. But yes, under a load in higher gears you will hear it as well.

You are are one of many, trust me! That thing can rattle like crazy and will not a hurt a thing other than your ears!!
Old 07-02-2018, 12:37 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
That pretty much went the way I thought. These trannies rarely fail, but often make noise when put behind a single mass FW; especially an aluminum piece like mine and yours!! I mentioned idle in mine since that is the most noticeable to me. But yes, under a load in higher gears you will hear it as well.

You are are one of many, trust me! That thing can rattle like crazy and will not a hurt a thing other than your ears!!
I wish mine was mainly noisy at idle but its so noisy in gear under load that it sounds like the trans is coming apart. It might not hurt anything but it sounds like ****. When I brought it to the local car show last week a couple people that heard the car said "what's wrong with your trans?" I don't want to have to explain the trans every time I go to the show with it, I want it to stop making that awful racket. I'm gonna do what ZF doc said to do and hope it fixes it because I'm not going to put up with the awful noise it makes. Oh and speaking of the aluminum flywheel, I'm gonna get rid of it and put a stock dual mass flywheel back in it. I won a dual mass flywheel on eBay the other day for 150 bucks with free shipping (I was the only person that bid on it thankfully). I'm getting rid of everything aftermarket that's in it that could possibly contribute to the noise and replacing it with stock components. I'm gonna fix that noise one way or another, if it still rattles after I'm done installing the shim and replacing the flywheel and clutch disc I'll convert it to an automatic.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 07-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:19 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

The dual mass alone will make a huge difference. It’s a heavy *** SOB like others have mentioned though.

At least you know now!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:17 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Update:

Over the course of the last week I replaced the Fidanza aluminum flywheel with a stock dual mass flywheel and installed the countershaft shim kit from ZFdoc (and also installed a new pilot bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing) and the noise is gone! It's nice and quiet now, the trans no longer sounds like it's coming apart inside. The car has just been sitting in the garage ever since I bought it because I didn't want to drive it with that God awful noise, now I can finally start enjoying the car at last.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheGreek!:
DykstraMotorsports (11-21-2018), Red 91 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 03:34 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Update:

Over the course of the last week I replaced the Fidanza aluminum flywheel with a stock dual mass flywheel and installed the countershaft shim kit from ZFdoc (and also installed a new pilot bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing) and the noise is gone! It's nice and quiet now, the trans no longer sounds like it's coming apart inside. The car has just been sitting in the garage ever since I bought it because I didn't want to drive it with that God awful noise, now I can finally start enjoying the car at last.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Good read for a guy like me who is going to buy a zf6 c4. Gad you got rid of the sound and are now going to drive it.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:38 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Good read for a guy like me who is going to buy a zf6 c4. Glad you got rid of the sound and are now going to drive it.
I'm glad the noise is gone too. It sucked just seeing the car sitting in the garage and not being driven because of the trans noise. It's a '96 Collector Edition with an LT-4 engine, I wanted to drive it but just couldn't with it making that horrible racket. Now that the noise is gone I've driven the car more in the last few days than I have since I bought the car, I'm finally enjoying the car at last!
Old 10-26-2018, 07:01 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm finally enjoying the car at last!
LT4s are fun to drive for sure!
Old 10-27-2018, 07:09 AM
turbobuick33
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm glad the noise is gone too. It sucked just seeing the car sitting in the garage and not being driven because of the trans noise. It's a '96 Collector Edition with an LT-4 engine, I wanted to drive it but just couldn't with it making that horrible racket. Now that the noise is gone I've driven the car more in the last few days than I have since I bought the car, I'm finally enjoying the car at last!
What was causing the noise? What part did you replace?

Get notified of new replies

To ZF six speed problem

Old 10-27-2018, 08:44 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by turbobuick33
What was causing the noise? What part did you replace?
It was well documented in this thread.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:23 AM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

For a while there I was using that Amsoil Transmission oil. Then my transmission developed grinding between shifts. I started running Castrol TWS and the problem went away.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:08 PM
DAVECAD2.0
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ZF Tranny

About 20 years ago just after a picked up a '92 LT1 I bought a brand new ZF 6 speed from a Chevy dealer who was going out of business. Had six in stock and selling for $600.00. With 150k on the clock I thought what a deal. It's a "blue" label and the original is a "black" label. What's the difference? Any way, now that I'm retired, have a lift. a tranny jack, and lots of time, and not knowing how old or the condition of the clutch and FW I'm going to swap it out. It has always had a grinding sound at idle with the clutch out. Just a little pressure on the clutch and it goes away. Always assumed it's the throw out bearing? Also the rear main seal leaks.
Reading these posts I'm not sure what to do about which clutch and fly wheel to use. It's got 175k on it now. Occational driver. Was thinking use a SMF and sprung disc?
TIA, Dave.

Quick Reply: ZF six speed problem