C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Possible vats issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Dhiggins1260
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible vats issue

I have a 1990 c4 base L98 and I had to replace the instrument cluster today. Put the new cluster in and tested it, the car started up just fine with no issues. After putting everything back together and tried to strart the car, it wouldn’t start. All the dash lights came on along with the fuel pump, when I tried to start the car, all the lights went dim and no start, the engine doesn’t even crank. Can someone tell me if it is the vats and is there a way to reset it. Even after letting the car sit for hours, still nothing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Solderhead
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically VATS issue would not cause lights to go dim when the key is in the START position.

Turn the key from OFF to RUN, watch the security light on the cluster. if it comes on for a few seconds and goes out, it's not VATS. if the light stays on, you probably have an issue with the key reader.
The following users liked this post:
Dhiggins1260 (07-08-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:53 PM
RalfKramden
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Check your battery connections, make sure they're tight. Try jumping the car and see if it starts. I had a problem like that turned out to be two-fold. One the alternator crapped out on me. Second the battery wasn't really holding a charge anymore. Replaced them both, no more problems
Dhiggins1260 (07-08-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Dhiggins1260
Cruising

I turned the key on and the security light went out when I turned the key to the start position. The battery is good, in fact I put it on the charger for a day thinking that it was to low to start, still have the same issue. I can hear the fuel pump run. Are there any other things that I should look at, maybe the starter relay possibly, maybe a fuse. Not really sure where to go with this???
Thanks for your guys input, but I’m still dead in the water. I will see if jumping to car will do anything tomorrow and let everyone know the results.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:35 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhiggins1260
I turned the key on and the security light went out when I turned the key to the start position. The battery is good, in fact I put it on the charger for a day thinking that it was to low to start, still have the same issue. I can hear the fuel pump run. Are there any other things that I should look at, maybe the starter relay possibly, maybe a fuse. Not really sure where to go with this???
Thanks for your guys input, but I’m still dead in the water. I will see if jumping to car will do anything tomorrow and let everyone know the results.

Do you have the FSM?

Check the wires at the starter BOTH. If when you turn key to start and you have power @ the PURPLE wire on the starter then you've an issue in the starter. '90 is a 'denso starter so you could do contacts and a plunger likely and be fixed. If you don't have power to the PURPLE you've issues 'other than'. Is the car a 6 speed or an A4 (auto).

If you just did a cluster and was working on/in/around the column you could maybe have dislodged the start enable relay, tweaked an ignition switch connector at the switch or possibly other incidental things.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-06-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist
Default 1990 won’t start then starts

I guess I have a similar issue.
Today I drove my sweetie 100 miles with no issues.. went to the store and came out and my car would not start. This happened before.. I waited about 5 minutes and tried it again. It started right up..... Confused!!!!
ECM replaced, battery replaced, timing belt replaced, fairly new injectors, dash comes on, radio plays, all lights on cluster come on including security light, which goes out..

Any ideas before I take it to a mechanic.
Oh yeah, sweetie only has 20,200 original miles.
​​​
Old 07-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Dhiggins1260
Cruising

Ok guys, this is the outcome today. Tried to jump the car, no results. Checked the wire at the starter and no signal at the small wire when turning the key to the run position. While turning the key, it sounded like the starter relay was clicking. Jumped the starter and the car ran. Could the vats kill the signal to the starter?? Not sure what else to look at? The car is a automatic and I have tried to move the gear selector thinking it could be the neutral safety switch, no change. Ideas???
Old 07-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Dhiggins1260
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Do you have the FSM?

Check the wires at the starter BOTH. If when you turn key to start and you have power @ the PURPLE wire on the starter then you've an issue in the starter. '90 is a 'denso starter so you could do contacts and a plunger likely and be fixed. If you don't have power to the PURPLE you've issues 'other than'. Is the car a 6 speed or an A4 (auto).

If you just did a cluster and was working on/in/around the column you could maybe have dislodged the start enable relay, tweaked an ignition switch connector at the switch or possibly other incidental things.
Replacing the cluster just meant that the steering Column needed to be dropped. No wires were moved or touched.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:22 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhiggins1260

Replacing the cluster just meant that the steering Column needed to be dropped. No wires were moved or touched.
The Starter Enable Relay is just left of the column - you didn't answer the question > do you have the FSM? Did you check the PURPLE wire at the starter when 'KEY TO START' and also the larger cable for B+ voltage? Dropping the column doesn't mean that you didn't tweak the ignition switch that's mounted to the column. Didn't mention A4 or M6 either!
Dhiggins1260 (07-16-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Dhiggins1260
Cruising

The Starter Enable Relay is just left of the column - you didn't answer the question > do you have the FSM? Did you check the PURPLE wire at the starter when 'KEY TO START' and also the larger cable for B+ voltage? Dropping the column doesn't mean that you didn't tweak the ignition switch that's mounted to the column. Didn't mention A4 or M6 either!
My 90 is a A4. No I don’t have a FSM, I did check all wires at the starter, large wires were hot and I didn’t get anything on the small wire when turning the key to start. Was able to jump the starter and the car ran, turn it off and then try to restart with nothing. It sounded like the starter relay was clicking when trying to start. I will have to take the knee bolster down and check all the wires underneath. Other than that, i’m Stumped.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Dhiggins1260
Cruising

Today I checked all the wires by the steering column and all was good. I decided to replace the starter interrup relay and the one next to it. Still doing the same thing. Could this still be the vats or something in the ignition switch itself?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 PM
Dhiggins1260
Cruising

OK, here it is. Evidently when remounting the steering column, the two large yellow wires and a small green wire got severely pinched and were grounding out to the steering column causing a no start. Repaired the wires that were pinched and she fired right up. When I looked under the dash, it looked like the wires were just tucked behind the mounting bracket and couldn't really see anything until I dropped the steering wheel again. I want to thank you for all you input, and I now have a FSM. I do have one question about the VATS if you possibly know. I bought a VATS bypass switch from Corvette Mods and it is a simple install. When I looked for the wires to plug this switch in, what I found was the wires coming off of the VATS module and it was plugged into a small plug with the resistor as a bypass. According to the instructions, there are two black wires coming from the ignition switch that this switch plugs into, I am unable to find this plug. Any ideas??
Old 07-16-2018, 02:43 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Can't swear to it as I did it about 5 years ago, but I thought it was a black and an orange wires from the plug going into the dash from the connector. Don't remember what it was coming out of the steering column.
Dhiggins1260 (07-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Possible vats issue

Quick Reply: Possible vats issue