c4 steer - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

c4 steer

Old 07-12-2018, 03:04 PM
biss

Default c4 steer

87 Vette.when turning both sides,there is like a feeling of deadspot in steering..car wants to come back straight...rack as no leaks,no noise ands does it hot or cold
Old 07-13-2018, 10:08 AM
rharker
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by biss View Post
87 Vette.when turning both sides,there is like a feeling of deadspot in steering..car wants to come back straight...rack as no leaks,no noise ands does it hot or cold
Lucas makes a power steering conditioner that I've found works pretty good. My rack was leaking and had some dead spots ... put that stuff in and it all cleared up. Otherwise you're probably looking at a new rack or rebuild it.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 PM
gerardvg
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs View Post
Too much (or a LOT) of caster can cause the heavy feel and desire to want to return to center. With the car stopped, turn the steering wheel side to side. Watch the hood in relationship to a wall or parked car in front of you. If you can SEE the hood rise at the ends of the turn, and drop as it comes across center, there is a lot of caster in the alignment. Some shops put a lot of caster in these cars in response to customer complaints of "wander". The result is a car that is not particularly pleasant to drive, although it tracks straight ahead. My personal experience is that 4 degrees is about the best compromise for 255/50's on 16" wheels. Other size tires may need more or less caster to get the best compromise bethween steering feel, and straight-line tracking.
The early c4s ran 3 degrees caster, that was changed to 6 degrees on later c4s before the 88-96 geometry changes.
I run 6 degrees caster on my 85, the steering is light no noticeable increased effort required.
Was a horror driving on uneven poorly maintained highways, the car would dart / wander dangerously.
The car has much improved stability requiring a light touch on steering wheel, compared to having to grip it tightly in case the car wanted to run off the road to follow a contour......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c4 steer

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: