C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Champion radiator installation and fit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 08:37 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Does the DeWitts single row require all the cutting and so on ?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:46 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Not too sure, but I'd compare it to pics of the stock radiator, and make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit, and you don't want to do any measuring, cutting, etc. etc.I am going back to a stock replacement myself...been too many headaches. Someone suggested that, and I shoulda listened. Time to get back on the road! Good luck..
Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I was recently driving from Mi to Tx and noticed that the coolant temp was a steady 210. I don't remember it being that high while the car was in motion. So, that's why I was considering the DeWitts. I had not heard of Champion but its nice to have a lower priced alternative.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

No, but the cushions need to be modified to allow for the large tanks. See the instruction sheet below

Click Here
Old 08-11-2018, 09:20 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
No, but the cushions need to be modified to allow for the large tanks. See the instruction sheet below

Click Here
Do you guys have a store front in Howell ? Honestly it would be easier for me to just drive the 30 minutes from Lansing as opposed to having it shipped.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:20 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

I have used DeWitt radiators in the past and are very good for sure and yes they do drop in ,I have friends with them but being a little low on money and needing one for my 93 Ok give someone else a try and have heard for the bad things assonated with them . Cut to the chase just installed one a ( Champion ) in my 93 and yes I had to do a little adjusting for sure but for a car guy no big deal it works I saved money will it hold up ??? If you just want a drop in I would go with a Dewitt's for sure but if you don't mind a little moding and saving money the cheaper worked for me ..I'll see if it will hold up ..
Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Do you guys have a store front in Howell ? Honestly it would be easier for me to just drive the 30 minutes from Lansing as opposed to having it shipped.
You can pick it up but shipping is only $25. You might spend more on gas. Make sure they have it and it's ready to go before making the trip. This time of year they are flying off the shelves
Old 08-11-2018, 11:19 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

For something to be a "direct fit", it shouldn't require modifying, cutting, grinding, spacers, foam, additional parts, etc. Myself, I really don't like having to modify in any of those ways. To me, that just says it really isn't a "direct fit", and shouldn't be advertised as such. Some people don't care. To each his own. It's just a choice, but can be quite an annoyance when you're only expecting to have to do a little trimming of the bushings.

Check the dimensions on any replacement...do they match stock? Otherwise, be prepared for some of the aforementioned. Also, check Youtube for fitment issues on any replacements. I'm not the only one that had issues and wasn't satisfied.

Whatever you go with, let us know if you notice any worthwhile improvement...Good luck!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:52 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Welcome to the world of BS advertising and the after market Corvette parts BIZZ. ,about half of the parts I order for Corvettes don't fit as say they will . It is what it is and not getting any better for sure .. Sometimes you get what you pay for sometime NOT .. YEP the 3 row radiator 160% thermostat new water pump and Hyper/chip witch turns on the fans at 160% working fine and no more over heating ,I am in Houston TX. 110% + here for 5-6 mounts out of the year so had to do something ..
Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=radar502;1597772572]Welcome to the world of BS advertising and the after market Corvette parts BIZZ. ,about half of the parts I order for Corvettes don't fit as say they will . It is what it is and not getting any better for sure .. Sometimes you get what you pay for sometime NOT .. YEP the 3 row radiator 160% thermostat new water pump and Hyper/chip witch turns on the fans at 160% working fine and no more over heating ,I am in Houston TX. 110% + here for 5-6 mounts out of the year so had to do something ..[/QUOTE

I hear ya, and what I hate about the whole thing is I knew that very well before all this. "High performance upgrade" on these cars pretty much means you're gonna need various cutting tools, a measuring tape, beer...and you're gonna spend a lot of time manipulating 20-30 year old plastic, hoping it doesn't break...or you're eBay account is gonna see a lot of activity. Oh, and 30 years later, someone's gonna curse you for doing it, ha ha.

Half? Wow...you're batting pretty good, LoL...

I bet it's the combination of all those things that did the trick, huh? Any results on just the radiator...or was it all done together?

Makes sense...things aren't much better here in Florida. I didn't have a real problem with overheating, but haven't driven it very much since I got it. I just mainly thought I was "upgrading". A "while you're at it" type decision. But on the radiator replacement alone, all I've seen is stuff like "It seems to be cooling a little faster" (that's on the radiator alone, and not the other things you mentioned. I can see that making a difference)...nothing about substantial temperature decrease. Sounds a lot like the endless 160 degree thermostat debate. ]

Last edited by racerseks; 08-11-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:39 AM
radar502
Safety Car

This is my 3ed C-4 and have done all the same why al have had the same problem with the A/C on in the south over heating ,that is stop and go traffic not on the road .. NO a 160% thermostat by its self will not get it done the fans need to come on early to take advantage of the 160% stat . I do the whole deal new pump 3row radiator and the 160 % stat and I installed the Hyper tech /chip with the A/C on stop and go in the 100% TX. heat has never gone over 209% . Before I did the work could not drive it in stop and go traffic tried to it over heated and had to pull over and let it cool .. So this is what I did works for me if someone knows better way ,lets have it . Heck the radiator is 25 years old and very small .. and back 25 ago it was not 100% for 6/7 mounts in TX.. Your right putting a160% stat will not cool off one of the C-4s need other stuff to go with it .. If it was that easy .. RIGHT ..
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 03:25 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by radar502
This is my 3ed C-4 and have done all the same why al have had the same problem with the A/C on in the south over heating ,that is stop and go traffic not on the road .. NO a 160% thermostat by its self will not get it done the fans need to come on early to take advantage of the 160% stat . I do the whole deal new pump 3row radiator and the 160 % stat and I installed the Hyper tech /chip with the A/C on stop and go in the 100% TX. heat has never gone over 209% . Before I did the work could not drive it in stop and go traffic tried to it over heated and had to pull over and let it cool .. So this is what I did works for me if someone knows better way ,lets have it . Heck the radiator is 25 years old and very small .. and back 25 ago it was not 100% for 6/7 mounts in TX.. Your right putting a160% stat will not cool off one of the C-4s need other stuff to go with it .. If it was that easy .. RIGHT ..
Sounds pretty all or nothing...makes sense. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2018, 03:29 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

I finally just popped in a factory replacement. Fit right in as far as the radiator. To the guy that suggested I go stock...you are 100% right! Only chopping I had top do was because I made the mistake of buying aftermarket bushings...which of course, had to be chopped, cut, dremeled, etc. Prothanes...differed greatly from the originals. I'd definitely suggest going genuine GM on those...and for me, I am just going to try to avoid most that aftermarket stuff.

Quick Reply: Champion radiator installation and fit...