C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Kick-down cable adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:12 AM
Lawman31
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Kick-down cable adjustment

I know how to adjust the kick-down on an 85 and 87, but on my 94 I am not 100% certain. Do I just unlock the TV cable and slide it towards the front of the car a bit? Unlike the 91-93, I only have the one cable going to the throttle on the 94. Any advice would be appreciated. Just trying to get more response from the throttle with more rpm between gears...
thx.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:18 AM
Solderhead
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no kick down cable on the 1994 model year. '94 was the first year for the 4L60E, which featured shift solenoids that were completely computer controlled.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Solderhead
There is no kick down cable on the 1994 model year. '94 was the first year for the 4L60E, which featured shift solenoids that were completely computer controlled.
There is no "kick down" cable on any model year with a 700R4. It is a TV cable.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Lawman31
Racer

Originally Posted by arbee
There is no "kick down" cable on any model year with a 700R4. It is a TV cable.
okay, good info thx... So there is an adjustment on what is I presume the TV cable. If I unlock it, I can move it back and forth about 2 inches in either direction. One direction seems to tighten the acelerator cable connected at the throttle body, and moving it back towards the firewall seems to loosen that same cable at the throttle body a little bit. What is this adjustment for and how should it be set? I moved it in both directions and it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference, at least that I can feel, but it must be doing something right?

Last edited by Lawman31; 08-10-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:18 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lawman31

okay, good info thx... So there is an adjustment on what is I presume the TV cable. If I unlock it, I can move it back and forth about 2 inches in either direction. One direction seems to tighten the acelerator cable connected at the throttle body, and moving it back towards the firewall seems to loosen that same cable at the throttle body a little bit. What is this adjustment for and how should it be set? I moved it in both directions and it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference, at least that I can feel, but it must be doing something right?
I am assuming it is an adjustment for the throttle cable because, as Solderhead says, there is TV cable on a 94. It is all electronic controlled.
The following users liked this post:
Lawman31 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Lawman31
Racer

So what is the adjustment for on the one cable that can be adjusted?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:26 PM
oldspeedr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have access to a FSM, it will give very specific instructions for a TV cable equipped Vette. It's a critical setting as it manages fluid pressure in transmission.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:24 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by oldspeedr
If you have access to a FSM, it will give very specific instructions for a TV cable equipped Vette. It's a critical setting as it manages fluid pressure in transmission.

You are late to the race as it has been established his 1994 HAS NO TV CABLE>
Old 08-13-2018, 09:45 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Still wondering what the adjustment does on the cable I do have ??
Old 08-19-2018, 12:43 AM
Lawman31
Racer

Anyone, anyone?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Anyone, anyone?
I will help you out by helping you think for yourself. If the throttle cable needs adjustment, what position do you think the throttle body plates should be in when your foot has the gas pedal all the way to the floor?

Old 08-19-2018, 12:34 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Originally Posted by arbee
I will help you out by helping you think for yourself. If the throttle cable needs adjustment, what position do you think the throttle body plates should be in when your foot has the gas pedal all the way to the floor?
Thanks... I do understand quite a bit about most things auto related, so to answer your question, when the pedal is to the floor the throttle body plates should be 90 degrees, or fully open.
If I am reading into your post correctly, I can only assume that this adjustment is just a simple way to adjust the throttle position and nothing more.
The reason I was asking is because on my 85 and 87 cars there was an adjustment that when made allowed you to adjust the shift point providing more RPM’s between shifts. Evidently the 94’s don’t have this adjustment and it is now controlled by the computer.
The adjustment on my 94 that we are discussing doesn’t seem to do anything from a drivers perspective anyway. If it’s all the way open, or all the way in the opposite direction, which seems to tighten the throttle cable, while driving the car there is no noticeable change.
Right now it’s all the way together, or tight. Based on what you are saying, this should give me the best chance to obtain a fully opened throttle when the pedal os on the floor.The butterfly won’t open past 90 degrees, so I can only assume that I have it set right.
Let me know if I got it right.... I feel a little funny being 54 years old and receiving an answer that is worded like my dad wrote it... LOL.
Thx.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:17 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Thanks... I do understand quite a bit about most things auto related, so to answer your question, when the pedal is to the floor the throttle body plates should be 90 degrees, or fully open.
If I am reading into your post correctly, I can only assume that this adjustment is just a simple way to adjust the throttle position and nothing more.
The reason I was asking is because on my 85 and 87 cars there was an adjustment that when made allowed you to adjust the shift point providing more RPM’s between shifts. Evidently the 94’s don’t have this adjustment and it is now controlled by the computer.
The adjustment on my 94 that we are discussing doesn’t seem to do anything from a drivers perspective anyway. If it’s all the way open, or all the way in the opposite direction, which seems to tighten the throttle cable, while driving the car there is no noticeable change.
Right now it’s all the way together, or tight. Based on what you are saying, this should give me the best chance to obtain a fully opened throttle when the pedal os on the floor.The butterfly won’t open past 90 degrees, so I can only assume that I have it set right.
Let me know if I got it right.... I feel a little funny being 54 years old and receiving an answer that is worded like my dad wrote it... LOL.
Thx.
I know what you mean. I am older than you and I feel a little funny answering a question like a teenager wrote it.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Anyway.... No time for useless banter, just a simple question if anyone knows the answer and wants to help out.

Last edited by Lawman31; 08-19-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Kick-down cable adjustment

Quick Reply: Kick-down cable adjustment