C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 Water Pump Drive Seal...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 08:24 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default LT4 Water Pump Drive Seal...

This is regarding a 1996 CE with LT4 and ZF6...

There's a water pump in my future. Seems most come with gaskets and o-ring, but not the drive seal. Does this need to be replaced as well? If so, best source and part number?

Will the opti, balancer etc. need to come off for the drive seal? Where do I get that specialty tool for the drive seal?

Thanks!

Last edited by racerseks; 08-22-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:53 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I think you may be able to buy the tool. I read you can make one which was simple so you don’t damage the seal as you insert it. I have not done it in a long time but it was simple as I recall.

Search on the Forum and internet.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:55 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I think you may be able to buy the tool. I read you can make one which was simple so you don’t damage the seal as you insert it. I have not done it in a long time but it was simple as I recall.

Search on the Forum and internet.
Thanks...Yea, I found one for about $25. Think it's worth doing, or leave it alone if it isn't leaking? Thanks!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Yeah, the tool seems to be available on eBay. But just replacing the pump doesn't entail sliding anything through the seal. Also, the FSM doesn't call for automatic replacement of the seal just when replacing the pump. I think as you said it's only required if the seal is obviously leaking. However, I'd defer to others if they have more experience, since I've only taken the pump off once to get to my opti.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Yeah, the tool seems to be available on eBay. But just replacing the pump doesn't entail sliding anything through the seal. Also, the FSM doesn't call for automatic replacement of the seal just when replacing the pump. I think as you said it's only required if the seal is obviously leaking. However, I'd defer to others if they have more experience, since I've only taken the pump off once to get to my opti.
Did the inside of the pump have a similar seal that gets mated with the coupler? I read somewhere about replacing the seal, but maybe they mean the one on the pump itself, and not the oil seal on the other end. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 791 Likes on 567 Posts

If you pay postage both ways I will be glad to loan you the tool for the WP seal. Dan
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (08-24-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 10:51 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racerseks
Did the inside of the pump have a similar seal that gets mated with the coupler? I read somewhere about replacing the seal, but maybe they mean the one on the pump itself, and not the oil seal on the other end. Thanks!
I don't think so, and I don't have it out to look at now. The coupler has rubber o-rings that need to be on there, though.
racerseks (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 10:02 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whaleman
If you pay postage both ways I will be glad to loan you the tool for the WP seal. Dan
Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if I go that route.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:04 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

I don't think so, and I don't have it out to look at now. The coupler has rubber o-rings that need to be on there, though.
Some pics look like there's something like that on the pump too. New one should be here Monday. Guess I will compare then. It does come with an o-ring. Just one, I think. Maybe you reuse one. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2018, 10:18 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by racerseks
Some pics look like there's something like that on the pump too. New one should be here Monday. Guess I will compare then. It does come with an o-ring. Just one, I think. Maybe you reuse one. Thanks!
Every pic I see of the back of the pump shows a ball bearing in sight but no seal. There obviously is a seal somewhere in there to keep the coolant from leaking, but it doesn't appear to be serviceable from the outside. And it won't have oil circulating in the pump at all - that is supposed to stay behind the timing cover.

Here's a pic showing the two O-rings on each end of the coupler:

Since there is no fluid (oil or coolant) to seal there, I assume these are there to give a soft surface for the coupler ends to butt up against and damp any rattling that might otherwise occur without crushing the bearings in the pump or block.

racerseks (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 11:20 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Every pic I see of the back of the pump shows a ball bearing in sight but no seal. There obviously is a seal somewhere in there to keep the coolant from leaking, but it doesn't appear to be serviceable from the outside. And it won't have oil circulating in the pump at all - that is supposed to stay behind the timing cover.

Here's a pic showing the two O-rings on each end of the coupler:

Since there is no fluid (oil or coolant) to seal there, I assume these are there to give a soft surface for the coupler ends to butt up against and damp any rattling that might otherwise occur without crushing the bearings in the pump or block.
Thanks for the pic!

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 Water Pump Drive Seal...

Quick Reply: LT4 Water Pump Drive Seal...