C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Headlight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:34 AM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Maybe if you guys quit running into birds with your cars, your headlights would still work!
dam birds won't stay in their lane: funnypost:
Old 08-31-2018, 10:55 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lawman31

So I ordered the OSRAM set to try them out... I am okay with their look and they should be brighter than the Hella’s...
Got the new OSRAM headlights today, installing took about 20 minutes with cleaning the shrouds and taking my time... These lights are simply AWESOME and didn't drastically change the look of the car at all. If anything, at night with the lights on people will probably think it's a C6. The black background of the lights pretty much matches everything else under the hood being black, so they blend right in. My initial thoughts were that these may look a little too strange, but I actually love the way they look. They are VERY bright and should provide an excellent night driving experience as well.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:00 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Got the new OSRAM headlights today, installing took about 20 minutes with cleaning the shrouds and taking my time...
So that resistor harness set you got from Amazon fit correctly and allows proper foglight function?
Old 09-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Lawman31
Racer

So that resistor harness set you got from Amazon fit correctly and allows proper foglight function?
I ended up waiting on the resistor set, I wanted to install the lights and see what the outcome was first. So now, with just the new headlights in, if I turn on the fog lights, two of the three lights in the headlight come on, same thing when I turn on just the parking lights. I think the way that these new headlights are set up is that when you turn on the head lights and wait for them to spin open, then back down to just the parking lights, you now have daytime running lights, which are the two smaller outside lights in the headlight assembly. So there are 4 lights total, two outside “smaller” which come on with the parking lights first, then a larger, or your main headlight, then one more even larger for your high beam.
The fog light comes on when the parking and daytime running lights are on, but goes out when the headlights are turned on, even though the fog light switch is still on.
instead of spending the $20.00 for the resistors, I am going to drop the passenger side bolster and ground the light green wire from the fog light relay directly to ground.
To me, the resistor method as well as the 168 bulb method introduce another potential point of failure, and cost a little bit of money to deploy as well, simply moving the wire on the relay seems to be the most reliable and most cost effective method. I will probably do this today. I just like things to work correctly.

Last edited by Lawman31; 09-01-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:22 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I am going to drop the passenger side bolster and ground the light green wire from the fog light relay directly to ground.
To me, the resistor method as well as the 168 bulb method introduce another potential point of failure, and cost a little bit of money to deploy as well, simply moving the wire on the relay seems to be the most reliable and most cost effective method. I will probably do thos today. I just like things to work correctly.
Let us know how it works when you're done, please.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Will do.....
Old 09-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Lawman31
Racer

Okay, so I had more time to evaluate things today... Still have NOT grounded wire to fog light relay yet... The new headlights actually have a total of 6 (six) different lights inside. 1. Main headlight, 1. High Beam, 2. Main headlight accent assist and 2. Daytime running or parking lights perhaps (white)...

When the headlights are turned on, they roll open and there are 5 of the 6 lights lit, ALL except for the high beam... This might be easier to explain in segments:

1. Back down to parking and three lights go out (main headlight and two accent) Running lights, or parking remain on.
2. While in stage above: Turn on driving lamps... The 2 (two) accent head lights turn on, so now a total of (four) 4 are lit, both headlight accent and both running or parking lights. The driving lamps also work fine, but if you cycle the driving lamp on and off a few times in this mode, they will only come on intermittently, so not working solid, but the first time they come on pretty much every time.
3. In above scenario, the BLUE high beam light illuminates on the dash when ever you turn on the fog lights, but the high beam itself doesn't come on. The blue dash light comes on and goes out each and every time you turn on the fogs.

So the way I drive I will most likely NEVER turn on the headlights, then back down to running lamps and parking and fog lights... May have wanted to do this when I was younger and I thought it made me look cool, but now all I care about is being able to see what's in front of me on the road. LOL

For now I am not going to do anything more until I buy a set of LED fogs... This may change things a bit and then perhaps I will need to ground the fog light relay, but until I get the LED fogs, I won't know. Right now I am good because the fog lights really don't matter because the new LED headlights are 10 time brighter, so having those fog lights pretty much do nothing right now. I will get the LED fogs though down the road just because I will get bored and want to try something new.

I will post another update after I get the LED fogs.

Last edited by Lawman31; 09-01-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 PM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

Hey all,
I have been reading previous forum posts, but most are a few years old so I wanted to ask you all here to check and make sure to see if technology might have produced better options these days that I am unaware of.
I am about to order a set of Hella 003427811 headlights with H4 halogen bulbs to replace my existing outdated set. I want a glass lense upgrade for around $100.00 total and don’t really want to add relays or add ballast resistors for HID lights etc... Just a nice upgrade over original.
I think I am on the right track but wanted your oppinion before I pull the trigger.

Here is the link to what I am about to get: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332740172905

Thanks....
Had the Hella h4's installed today. ZERO issues and they don't look like they came out of a comic book. why anyone would give themselves pain in the *** wiring issues to use led is beyond me. to each his own.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
Had the Hella h4's installed today. ZERO issues and they don't look like they came out of a comic book. why anyone would give themselves pain in the *** wiring issues to use led is beyond me. to each his own.
Better color, lower power consumption and longer life come to mind.

Also the wiring is unnecessary since you can plug the resistor INLINE so you can make it easier on yourself.
​​
Old 09-13-2018, 07:38 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
I went this route too, sill had the original headlights in the car, but they had faded in brightness over the years. Not into the comic book look either, LOL and I don't drive enough at night to be concerned about longevity...hell got 22 years out of the OEM headlights!

Last edited by bac22; 09-13-2018 at 07:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BPC9MM (04-03-2022)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:01 PM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by bac22
I went this route too, sill had the original headlights in the car, but they had faded in brightness over the years. Not into the comic book look either, LOL and I don't drive enough at night to be concerned about longevity...hell got 22 years out of the OEM headlights!
I was in the same boat . plug and play can't be beat, along with $12 replacement bulbs.

Quick Reply: Best Headlight Upgrade