C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 lt4 ecu programming

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:02 AM
lkeihn
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 lt4 ecu programming

What will I need to program obd2 the 1996 lt4 corvette engine that I'm putting in my 1973 vet with a 700r4 any help greatly appreciated
Old 09-02-2018, 07:30 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

You need jet dynamic tuning software to program the car.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:53 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

JDT software will only be needed if the 96 ECM is also used. Alternatively, support has been added to MegaSquirt for the OptiSpark which changes things.

Or a coil on plug solution can be used and products from here:

http://www.torqhead.com/index.html

change what will be needed for programming

everything depends on what ECM the OP decides to use in the 73 that he is putting the engine into.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Bigpoop
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I use LT1 Edit. But I think those guys may be retired. So jet dynamic tuning software is 'more' current with more tables to adjust.

VERY SIMPLE software.

Good luck...DM me with questions.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
JDT software will only be needed if the 96 ECM is also used. Alternatively, support has been added to MegaSquirt for the OptiSpark which changes things.
This is correct. This is because the 96 computer is the one and only year that OBD2 was implemented on C4s. And frankly, if you're putting this into a C3, there's absolutely no good reason to retain the 96 PCM. If you want to do the easy thing, find a 94/95 PCM and use it instead. It is plug-and-play with a 96 motor, and has all the same tuning options. The advantage is that it can be tuned with Tunercat, which is the same program as the Jet DST but costs about 25% of the price and has better support.

Originally Posted by Bigpoop
I use LT1 Edit. But I think those guys may be retired.
Yep, that software is no longer available. For a 96, Jet DST is now the only option.

As drcook points out, there is no actual reason that you have to stick with an OE type of ECM. Since this is going in a totally different car, you don't have to interact with a CCM, cruise control modul, RDS damper system, or volume-adjusting radio anymore. So you can use any aftermarket setup you want. However, I will note that the 94/95 PCM will be the cheapest option (by far) and will plug right into the factory 96 harness if you move that over to the C3.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Not related to tune but you will want asomewhat loose stall converter for LT4 with an automatic.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:59 PM
RicardoG
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

However, I will note that the 94/95 PCM will be the cheapest option (by far) and will plug right into the factory 96 harness if you move that over to the C3.
Totally agree with the above statement.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:56 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

I am not a big fan of the 1994 or 1995 computer, they are prone to locking up while programming and then they are junk. I have not had this issue with the 1996 computers.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:44 AM
lkeihn
7th Gear

thanks to all the info, I ordered the "Jet DTS 14005" to program 1996 obd11 pcm, hoping that will be here soon.
Found a guy in Ohio that reprogram the 94 an the 96 ecm/pcm lt1pcmtuning for a very fair price, after I just order the jet system
thanks again
Old 09-11-2018, 09:24 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

there are many advantages to having the interface/software for yourself. especially since you are retrofitting an OBDII engine/ECM/PCM into an earlier car, with a transmission that the engine doesn't expect to see. so the PCM/ECM is going to have to be POSSIBLY changed in all the tables that apply (I know it had a 6-speed manual originally programmed for, I haven't looked at the tables from a standpoint of what it takes to put a non-electric automatic transmission into the mix)

also go in a read the fine print on the 2 methods of updates available other than postal.

so, according to the site you listed above

for postal support,

you have to mail him your ECM/PCM (to me, one and the same, ie: the computer). the car is of course, undrivable while it is in transit. and what happens if it is lost or damaged ? good luck with getting a claim out of USPS, we are fighting them on a claim right now, so the best option is UPS/FedEx if he will ship that way. if the unit is lost or damaged, you will have to get another one and start all over having it reprogrammed to your car.

this is probably the least expensive method, I looked and it would cost you a little over $200.00 to tune it. there is a free option to adjust your initial requirements, but if you have to make any more DIFFERENT changes, then:

For those ordering via postal mail, I offer one free retune if you pay for shipping both ways. This retune only applies to the current setup for which you ordered (for fine-tuning or making changes like shift points, etc.), it does not apply to new mods/changes you make to your vehicle. There is no time limit on the free retune.
for email support

It requires you to purchase your own tuning kit (ALDL cable/converter box, chip burner and chip for chip-based ECMs, tuning software, and datalogging software), in order to let me tune for you through email.

If you plan to do any tune editing on your own, I'd highly recommend the following:
  • OBDI: LT1 Pro Tuning kits from TunerCat. It includes licensed software, a cable, and if necessary a chip burner, socket and blank chip.
  • OBDII: Jet Dynamic Spectrum Tuner (DST) (Amazon usually has the best price), and ECMPro Scan + enhanced GM diagnostics
cable loan method
​​​​
1996-1997 LT1/L99: $225 + $300 Refundable Core

For 1994-2005 flash-based LT1/LS1 PCMs, you rent an ALDL cable
and free software from me, which you can use to load my tune
into your own PCM without needing to remove it, as well as
data-log while driving, so I can fine-tune the PCM exactly to
how your car is running.Requirements:
  • Laptop/Netbook - needed to flash 1994-2005 LT1/LS1 PCMs, and data-log all vehicles while driving
  • Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista/7/8.x/10.x - needed to run the flashing/data-logging software and to support the USB cable driver
  • USB port - needed for connecting the ALDL cable to your laptop
  • Comfortability using computers and programs - if you are a complete computer novice, this will not be for you; if you can install and use normal computer programs, install a USB device, and email attachments, you should be fine!
  • ALDL vehicle port - all factory vehicles which I can tune come with these; it is necessary to data-log the vehicle while driving, as well as to load the tunes for 1994-2005 flash-based LT1/LS1/Vortec PCMs.
  • Internet connection - you will download the required drivers and software from the Internet using links I will provide. All PCM types require an internet connection somewhere to get the logs and tune files back and forth to and from me.
There is also one slight risk with this method for the '94-'05 LT1/LS1 PCMs: if anything interrupts the PCM programming/flashing process, which you will be doing with your own PCM and my cable, it will damage the PCM and require repair before running again. So, you will need to accept this risk and ensure that your laptop and vehicle batteries are fully charged or plugged in to AC and that nothing interrupts it. But, the benefits far outweigh this small risk! You can get your vehicle running amazingly well without ever sending me your PCM!
So the "cable loan method" will cost you $555.00 plus having to acquire a dependable laptop (unless you have one) and once again, having computer knowledge.

Then if you are wanting the engine "fine tuned", for the data-logging software, it will need to see data such as received from the O2 sensors. Are you putting in O2 sensors ? The 1996's have 4. 2 in front of Cats and 2 after. The 2 after are for making sure the Cats are present and functional otherwise a SES/Mil light is triggered.

Those can be turned off, but if you forgot to have him do it, it is a change from what you originally asked him to do, etc etc.

Last edited by drcook; 09-11-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lkeihn
What will I need to program obd2 the 1996 lt4 corvette engine that I'm putting in my 1973 vet with a 700r4 any help greatly appreciated
If I was doing what you're doing I would swap in the 94-95 PCM and use Tunercat to program it.

You will also need to swap to the 94-95 knock sensors.

Buy your used PCM from an F or B-body and avoid the Corvette tax.

(That goes for everything else for your LT1 as well...)
Old 03-18-2020, 10:11 PM
Lt4&Lt5
1st Gear

Originally Posted by lkeihn
Did you ever get the LT4 to work in your 73? I'm looking at doing the same set up. I have the LT4 with computer and everything, also a 7004r.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:15 AM
lkeihn
7th Gear

Hi, Was having optispark issues, so rather than invest more money in the opti system, I bought 24xLink LS PCM conversion kit. Also picked up a '96 corvette transmission to replace the 700R4, working the final install in the next few months.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:31 PM
lkeihn
7th Gear

my 73" 1996 lt4 with torqhead 24x and LS ecm
just a photo of the progress

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 lt4 ecu programming

Quick Reply: 1996 lt4 ecu programming