C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel pump recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Fuel pump recommendations

I have been tracing my non idle issue on my 93. I replaced the fuel filter and no change. I checked fuel pressure and it's at forty but it will not hold at all. Fuel pump next, but what brand ??
Thanks Fred
Old 09-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I would check the regulator before the pump. Pumps generally just fail and don't work at all. The fact that you have pressure then drops makes me think regulator.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:45 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Thanks, will check
Old 09-16-2018, 10:59 AM
jph46
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fredk
I have been tracing my non idle issue on my 93. I replaced the fuel filter and no change. I checked fuel pressure and it's at forty but it will not hold at all. Fuel pump next, but what brand ??
Thanks Fred
How many miles on your 93? I was chasing down a ruff idle on my 93, (66k miles) I replaced everything from the injectors back to the fuel pump. Went with the Bosch III injectors from FIC and got my fuel pump from Racetronix, in Markham, Ontario. 4000 miles later running like a fine tuned watch. If your losing pressure it could be a number of things, start with the injectors for leaks and the fuel pressure regulator. With mine the injectors where leaking, so the Bosch injectors took care of my ruff idle, replaced everything else for peace of mind.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:42 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Leaking injector(s) most likely, FP regulator next, then the fuel pump.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Thanks Fred
Why is it not holding? Fuel pressure regulator? Fuel injectors? Pulsator at the tank? You need to isolate it.

Have someone turn the key to run and not crank, At that moment, crimp off the return line. See if the pressure holds. If it does, look at the regulator next. If it doesn't, repeat test and crimp off the feed line. If it doesn't hold then, go with injectors.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info guys. I did my top end build in 2005 when everything was replaced and put about 4000 miles since. So will track down soon I hope, as it will only be on the road for another month.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:49 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

I finally got time to check the old girl again. No fuel in the vacuum line to fuel filter regulator. Checked oil and sure smells of gas. Can I assume that I have a leaking injector ?? It also does backfire sometimes as well, must be too much fuel in a cylinder.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:57 AM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

I finally got time to check the old girl again. No fuel in the vacuum line to fuel filter regulator. Checked oil and sure smells of gas. Can I assume that I have a leaking injector ?? It also does backfire sometimes as well, must be too much fuel in a cylinder.
Sure sounds that way. Are the injectors original? You can test further by watching the fuel pressure, but if the oil is diluted I wouldn't run it until I had new/rebuilt injectors in there and changed the oil. It's possible for a leaking injector to hydrolock the engine bending and breaking things. Also, diluted oil doesn't lubricate very well.

A lot of people here use https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
As long as there is some, fuel pressure doesn't have anything to do with idle quality. Marginally-performing fuel pumps usually show up as drivability issues, not idle quality. Please expand on the problem you're having. The way you word "non-idle", to me suggests it won't idle if you take your foot off the throttle. If = yes, things to check would be vacuum leaks, Idle Air Control motor, EGR valve is closed; things of that nature. If you have access to a scanner, info like IAC position, EGR position, BLM and INT fueling, even O2 sensor activity may help focus attention on the culprit.

As far as "fuel pressure drops quickly" when pump shuts off: My experience has been that engines do NOT care one iota what the fuel pressure is when iit is not running. As long as the pressure comes up to spec quickly enough to allow starting, especially with cold oil and temperatures, who cares what it is at rest, or how long it takes to go to zero? Check that the vacuum line on the regulator doesn't contain fuel (it will idle black smoke rich if it does), and that the oil isn't fuel diluted from a very leaky injector (highly unlikely), and forget about the pump if it is easy to start first time of the day.
i would also check the charcoal vapor return line.
Replaced the tank and had to clean out the line that was plugged with all those little bits of charcoal witha piece of stif wire and a vacuum from the sensor all the way to the canister.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:29 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jv9999
Sure sounds that way. Are the injectors original? You can test further by watching the fuel pressure, but if the oil is diluted I wouldn't run it until I had new/rebuilt injectors in there and changed the oil. It's possible for a leaking injector to hydrolock the engine bending and breaking things. Also, diluted oil doesn't lubricate very well.

A lot of people here use https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/
If they are multec injectors I would definitely dump them so I can run ethanol gas which is all over instead of being forced to a couple of gas stations. If not, just get a reman set and be done with it
Old 09-25-2018, 12:33 PM
fredk
Burning Brakes

They are not original they were replaced back when I did the top end. I thought the same thing about running it. The problem I have now is I don't remember what size injectors I put in back in 06. She puts 350 to the wheels after the tune I had. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:35 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

They are not original they were replaced back when I did the top end. I thought the same thing about running it. The problem I have now is I don't remember what size injectors I put in back in 06. She puts 350 to the wheels after the tune I had. Thanks for the help.
FIC can clean and test what you have as well.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jv9999
FIC can clean and test what you have as well.
And tell you what you have, size wise
Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Problem is I live in Canada and it would be a load of paperwork to send them to the States. Any fellow Canadians know of anyone in Ontario that offers this service ?? I will post this in the Canadian section as well.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:38 PM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Just talked to fuelinjectorconnection they sound great. Emailed me all the paperwork required, thanks !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump recommendations

Quick Reply: Fuel pump recommendations