C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power window Drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:02 PM
wba1949
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window Drivers side

Guess I have a bad window motor/actuator in my drivers side door of my '92 Vette. All of a sudden it just stopped working. Was hoping against hope that it would just be a problem in the window switch, but after replacing it with a new switch it still didn't work. Even though I had a Chiltons repair manual for the C4s, I figured I'd bite the bullet and buy a copy of the Corvette Service Manual ST-364-92 PS ID. Wasn't looking forward to tearing into my door without the most comprehensive service manual available. Just received a used Service Manual today that I'd purchased on EBAY and opened it up to the directory section to find the parts about the power windows repair, only to see in the Body Service section a notice that read that windows and their replacement procedures were to be referenced in the 1991 manual. WTF!! I have a new regulator on the way, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to tear into it or not. I have the tools and am a decent mechanic...is it a tough job? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bad
Old 10-01-2018, 01:21 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by wba1949
Guess I have a bad window motor/actuator in my drivers side door of my '92 Vette. All of a sudden it just stopped working. Was hoping against hope that it would just be a problem in the window switch, but after replacing it with a new switch it still didn't work. Even though I had a Chiltons repair manual for the C4s, I figured I'd bite the bullet and buy a copy of the Corvette Service Manual ST-364-92 PS ID. Wasn't looking forward to tearing into my door without the most comprehensive service manual available. Just received a used Service Manual today that I'd purchased on EBAY and opened it up to the directory section to find the parts about the power windows repair, only to see in the Body Service section a notice that read that windows and their replacement procedures were to be referenced in the 1991 manual. WTF!! I have a new regulator on the way, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to tear into it or not. I have the tools and am a decent mechanic...is it a tough job? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bad
not too tough, just watch the sharp edges they can nick the hell out of your hand. take your time and make sure your happy with window alignment before you button up door panel. if you need a bit of reference give a look at you tube with search C-4 Corvette window regulator replacement, it should take some Mystery out of what your facing.

Last edited by s carter; 10-01-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Did you verify that the motor was the problem by connecting it directly to a battery?
Old 10-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This a not an uncommon issue with our cars. The motor in the window regulator burns out and the window regulator assembly has to be replaced which requires you to disassemble the entire inner portion of the door. Because this is a common issue there have been several very good step by step instructions created by forum members over the years. If you use the search function here on the C4 section you will come across these instructions. Juat type in "window regulator" in the advanced search box on the "title line"

As mentioned above there are also some U-tube vids by some of the Corvette window regulator parts suppliers. I'm not a mechanic but I was able to do my drivers side without breaking anything. I would say that is a tedious job but not a hard job.

There is a special two pronged tool by snap-on that goes for about $25.00 that makes removing and re-tightening the 3 "bolts" that hold the window glass to the regulator framework much easier and safer (not breaking the glass). Because I'm not mechanically inclined I bought the tool and it made that particular task much easier. You will also find by looking at the various posts that come up in the search function that several people have been successful using other tools-at-hand to perform this neat little trick with the window "bolts"

I found several things to be helpful:
Take lots of pictures during disassembly.
Put labels on the various electrical connectors and the door lock actuator rods.
Walk away for 10 minutes every hour or so. (this was the most important step that kept me from forcing things out of frustration )

Get notified of new replies

To Power window Drivers side

Quick Reply: Power window Drivers side