C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 Miniram Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 PM
corvetebob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 85 Miniram Wiring Harness

I have an 85 with the original wiring harness and I have installed TPIS Miniram and my shop told me I needed a new ECM. I bought Zip's programmable ECM and how they are telling me I need a different wiring harness, not necessarily a new one, possibly a plug in play one. What do you suggest, is this something I needed or should I be looking for a different shop. I was also told by the shop that the ECM is for a MAP intake not a MAF intake like I have. HELP!
Thank you in advance to everyone.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:04 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

You can use your original ECM and MAF unit and just get a chip from TPIS to make the combination work. Sure you can use an afermarket ECM but it will require a new wiring harness.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:03 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I suggest you have the wrong shop. Nothing they have said is correct.

You can use your ECM, chip recommendation as outlined above from TPIS. The 85 uses a MAF not MAP unless you convert it over.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:21 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
I suggest you have the wrong shop. Nothing they have said is correct.

You can use your ECM, chip recommendation as outlined above from TPIS. The 85 uses a MAF not MAP unless you convert it over.
What I meant to say was the factory ECM would work. If you bought a new ECM that requires a MAP to measure air intake then you certainly would need to convert it to MAP and you will need a wiring harness for the new ECM you bought.

You always want to plan your parts around the labor supply as well to make sure both are accommodating to each other.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:50 PM
corvetebob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 856SPEED

What I meant to say was the factory ECM would work. If you bought a new ECM that requires a MAP to measure air intake then you certainly would need to convert it to MAP and you will need a wiring harness for the new ECM you bought.

You always want to plan your parts around the labor supply as well to make sure both are accommodating to each other.
I was thinking that Zip programmable ECM would just plug in play. There was nothing on their website stating additional wiring or binging the plugs would be needed.

Thank you to everyone 's feedback so far

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Miniram Wiring Harness

Quick Reply: 85 Miniram Wiring Harness