C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 C4 Corvette not starting up

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:19 PM
aliwehbe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 C4 Corvette not starting up

Lengthy post but please bear with me I own a 1992 C4 Corvette with the stock 5.7 LT1 V8 Engine and I was driving on the freeway when my gas pedal stopped working. I pulled to the side of the road and had a tow truck tow me to a mechanic after a $100 diagnostic the mechanic said that my distributor went bad on me and it had to be replaced. He wanted a little under $900 which is far too much for me to afford. I ended up getting it towed back to my campus and ordering a new distributor, after 4 weeks of slowly working on it I managed to replace the distributor. I turn the key and it just cranked normally but didn't actually start. At first, I believed the distributor I bought was bad but I had a friend check the wires and apparently there's a spark which he said means its working. We then believed it was the fuel pump but when turning the key you can hear the fuel pump priming itself, so it was not that. We then checked a fuel line underneath the right side of the car and fuel came out which my friend also said was a good thing. We then checked the fuel bar (the two bars attached to the right and left of the block, I believe that is the name of it) and when turning the key one click to start the electronics, fuel came out of the fuel bars which according to my friend said is a good thing. We also have tried using starting fluid but even with starting fluid the car does not start. So apparently my car has spark and fuel all in the right places so it should be working, right now we are thinking maybe the fuel went bad or the spark plugs are bad (I just changed them 4 months ago), I am just stressed out about this whole ordeal, I am a university student and this is my only car (I live on campus and my family lives 16 hours away by car). Any help, tips, or advice you all can give I will GREATLY appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Did you align the spline shaftin the opti and engine with the missing tooth. If you did not , then you will have spark but will be way out of timing.

If the opti did not just go on easy and went flush to the block without the bolts, then it may not be installed correct.

If you don’t know what I'm talking about with the missing tooth, it may then be installed wrong.

The only other item I might check are the injector pulses using a noid light. However if you could not get it started with the starting fluid, it sure sounds like it's spark, timing related

Quick Reply: 1992 C4 Corvette not starting up