C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Problem with brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with brake lights

hello all
thanks for help getting car running again, justvworking my way through some of the other faults brake lights I'm having problems . It's a Japan import so has orange direction indicators with stop lights in the outer lamps.
i have side lights and indicators but no stop lights or high level brake light working.

i don't have a wiring diagram but this is what I've done so far 👍
I have removed the brake light switch see image

on the main 3 pin switch with orange white and on with ignition on I have 12v on the middle pin orange wire.

if I continuity check the wire to the rear lamp connector plug the grey wire in the picture then goes to green on light side of plug this is for the stop light I have continuity but no voltage ?

also I assume the white wire is for the high level brake light as it has some kind of resistor on it see pic as high level is led type.

i tried bridging the orange power wire with both the blue and white wire one at a time still no brake lights ?

there is another two way connector on the brake light switch blue connector with ignition on it has 12v on one of the wires (sorry forgot which one&#129315
As far as I can tell the brake light switch works I have tested as follows with the switch button pressed in as if brake pedal not pressed. On the blue connector it makes a circuit, on the 3 way connector the contacts are apart 12v on centre pin but no continuity on the white or blue ,
let the switch button out blue connector circuit breaks
3 way connector contacts connect power continuity across the blue and white wire but still no power to the grey wire at the light connector block ?

the orange wire on the 3 way connector and one of the wires in the blue connector showing 12v with ignition on both make continuity to the gray green on the light plug but no power .

What am I missing ?

lastly I put a power probe into the back of the gray green wire and put 12v down the wire back brake lights work?

this one is stumping me

finally what's the easiest way to test the high level led brake light where is the connector plug

thanks in adavane .

ive fixed the LCD dash four new bulbs,
and fixed the windows new toggle switchs

im nearly there 😂🤣😂

any help welcome. I am wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram it's a 1987 c4 ls1 corvette

thanks guys I am thinking is there another relay /switch that sends the power from the brake light switch to the grey wire to green at the light when the brake pedal is pressed.
i should mention as well the brakecwarning light is staying brakes working is this because brake lights are out? Can cruise control brake light switch cause my problem ?

Its giving me a headache 🤕

Old 12-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Forgot to mention headlamp flash seems to have stopped working whilst I have been trying to solve the brake light issue not sure if this will have any bearing on the fault finding for the brake lights

guess ill I'll have to check that one out next 😂😂😂
another job to add to the list 😁
Old 12-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

No wiring diagram is a problem. Do any brake lamps work. Blue wire at stoplight switch is for high level. Is it possible lower red was just a running light, and the inner reds were tail and brake lamps.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

No brake lights work all
Old 12-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Do lights and hazards work? 12v goes from switch through turn signal switch to rear lamps. Blue wire is a separate circuit to high level stop. Blown fuses? Owners manual? You need to invest in manuals preferably factory service manuals.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:55 AM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

• I have manuals coming but they are coming from a long way the good old usa 😂
  • The hazards where working but I haven't checked them recently
ill check them again fuse fuse that says brake in fuse box is good .

​​​​​​​i lol keep trying 👍
Old 12-07-2018, 02:53 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

It seems like someone did not like to change the light bulbs the correct way.

This is 1984 scematics but it should be similar. The big blue box is the insides of the turn indicator lever.
As you see the indicator lever selects between stop lamp signal and flasher relay. The hazard is also selected here.

To convert to 'export' you cut the white wire from the stop switch. Then you use the blue instead, same as third brake light to the brake light function. Old flash/brake is now only flash.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:13 AM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JoBy
It seems like someone did not like to change the light bulbs the correct way.

This is 1984 scematics but it should be similar. The big blue box is the insides of the turn indicator lever.
As you see the indicator lever selects between stop lamp signal and flasher relay. The hazard is also selected here.

To convert to 'export' you cut the white wire from the stop switch. Then you use the blue instead, same as third brake light to the brake light function. Old flash/brake is now only flash.

So your saying cut white wire at plug on stop switch do I have to cut blue and put it to plug where white wire goes or just cut white wire and leave the plug as it is ?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 08:56 AM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

Your car is already converted as I understand. Do you want to make it work with the export lights, or convert back to original?

What I described with the schematics is how to convert from standard to export. You can see how that match with what is done in your car.
Export stop lights use the same cable as roof stop light. By cutting the white wire you remove stop signal from turning lights.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Simon Dickens
Intermediate

Brake lights now working the white wire had been cut and a grey wire solder to the plug end which ran to the back of the car after much testing I found the wire from front to back had 3 breaks in it I think it must have got caught and yanked out

i re Instated it and now working the blue wire for the hi level switch has 4 volts on it I suspect the white block is a resistor as it's an led brake but I think the led has failed altogether I want to remove it to test the wiring and the lamp any pointers gratefully received thanks everyone for help merry Christmas to all 👍

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with brake lights

Quick Reply: Problem with brake lights