C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Problems Installing Mini Starter 1984 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by James C4
@84 4+3 so is the outer terminal even used then? If the ground and the wire from the battery go on the the terminal that connects to the starter and the small wire that was connected to the s on the old starter slips on to the small connector, then the outer, or lower terminal in this picture, goes unused.
I'm not sure what you are calling the ground. The starter is grounded through the block. The large connector with the heavy black cable goes directly to the battery. It and the other large connector goes to the lower stud in your picture. The upper stud has the visible connection to the starter. When the two large connectors are connected to the lower stud, the large connector with multiple wires will be connected to the battery positive through the heavy black wire. These smaller wires will carry battery voltage to other circuits/fuse links. When the ignition is switched to Start, battery voltage is applied to the wire on the small connector (S terminal). This energizes the solenoid which causes the pinion to extend and engage the flywheel which causes the two studs to become connected internally routing battery voltage to the starter. So small connector to the small spade (S terminal), the two large connectors to the lower stud.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:17 AM
James C4
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

@Ray Quayle I didn't know what the other wire was so I assumed it was the ground. Thank you for the information. This helps a lot. It's pretty obvious I haven't done this before. My dad walked out there today and told me that common sense would say exactly what you did so now I just have to get it all wired up. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It can cause confusion, as the cable is black, but you really don’t want to touch that big black cable to the engine block or anything else grounded if the battery is connected. It will certainly get your attention!
The following users liked this post:
James C4 (01-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Problems Installing Mini Starter 1984 Corvette