C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No rpm over 3500

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:33 AM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default No rpm over 3500

Started my 93 yesterday since fall to let it run for 20 minutes. Started ok. After about 15 minutes got back in and revving it up a little and enginewould stumble at 3-3500 rpm. Also when I started the car ac came on along with both fans, asr, sevice soon light. Switch would not shut off ac. Digital tem showed 149. Was pulling codes last fall an thought I had a ptoblem with using my code reader and had to use a paperclip. When I first turned key on I thought I left the paperclip in yet causing the problem. Turning colder again and will wair to try and pull codes. May try using a different ecm and a different stock chip.
Don't remember the codes from fall other than 4.1 no communication.
Without codes it is difficult to know what is going on in ruby. Any ideas for therapy?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:29 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 240 Posts

My gut feeling is an ECM with cold solder joints, they can be refurbished. Some of your symptoms are similar to what happened on my '92 which uses the same ECM. Since I had it rebuilt I have not had the issues again.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:36 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,107 Likes on 878 Posts

I also read where when the ECM fails it turns on the cooling fans. It sounds like JimLentz is right on the button! It is not as rare as it should be unfortunately.

Good Luck, you are lucky to have the right spare at the right time.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

I was thinking that as a possibilty being sporadic and causing problems at times in different functions. I also had problems with the speedometer and odometer quit at times.
I have a second ecm and a couple of bafl (6 speed) proms.
Any suggestions to send units too? Seems like I heard of one in Illinois and anotherone in the Carolina area.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by scotth48
I was thinking that as a possibilty being sporadic and causing problems at times in different functions. I also had problems with the speedometer and odometer quit at times.
I have a second ecm and a couple of bafl (6 speed) proms.
Any suggestions to send units too? Seems like I heard of one in Illinois and anotherone in the Carolina area.
Scott,

I used SIA Electronics in southern Illinois and the turn around time was just over a week. After the rebuild they have a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:39 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Yes that was the one. Seem very reasonable. When it gets warmer will try the 3 I have. I have one that came with my replacement (93 ruby) engine that didn't seem to work, the one that is in the ruby I bought last fall and the one in question. All 3 were 6 speeds.

Get notified of new replies

To No rpm over 3500

Quick Reply: No rpm over 3500