C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lowering C4 Corvette Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 03:18 PM
LucasMc22
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering C4 Corvette Front Suspension

Hello, new member here, so not positive how all this works. I have a silver '86 that I've owned for about 6 years now. I joined to ask questions regarding the work I'm doing on my car.
Does anyone on here have experience with lowering the front of C4s? I have the stamped steel spring retainers in the front that clamp the spring. I've read that you must replace these with the '88-'96 aluminum spring retainers and cut them to size in order to properly clamp the spring. Has anyone kept their stock stamped steel retainers when lowering their C4?
With that being said, I purchased a set of aluminum retainers. Due to the kits (pictured here) being on a 120 day back order, I purchased a set of used retainers. However, they are missing the black insulators that are in the bottom of the kit pictured. Does anyone know the purpose of these isolators? I cannot find any good information on their purpose.
Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance. If there are other posts regarding this, please let me know.

Last edited by LucasMc22; 04-22-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:31 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Also interested. be nice to see a detailed description of the process for lowering the front.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 PM
LucasMc22
Heel & Toe

I did some more research on the topic and found this article to be pretty helpful. Just was hoping to get some more opinions from members on here. This is the most detailed article I've found on the topic, but it is still done in a professional shop versus in a garage on jack stands.

https://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-...5-c4-corvette/
Old 04-22-2019, 07:00 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

On my back on jack stands. How I do everything lol. Thanks for posting
Old 04-22-2019, 07:36 PM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

That's a great article. seems pretty simple. I guess just be sure before you start removing parts you make sure there is enough room next to car to slide spring out.

also I see 6 pads in photo's that do not get mentioned in article as to where they go?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:50 PM
lrj975
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I did mine, no kit. I think there is no need for the kit and skip that entire chisel and glue step. Just cut the original rubber pad down to about quarter inch, and reinstall without the shims. Those shims in the kit are probably for any final adjustments or corrections and optional. iirc the FSM calls out different shim packs and looks to be only for height adjustment.

on jack stands, get it as high as possible. iirc z51 spring is flatter, and standard spring is curved and needs a little more height for clearance.
I used a $10 harbor freight rotary cut off tool to cut the bracket, worked perfect. That is a critical measurement and cut.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by lrj975
I did mine, no kit. I think there is no need for the kit and skip that entire chisel and glue step. Just cut the original rubber pad down to about quarter inch, and reinstall without the shims. Those shims in the kit are probably for any final adjustments or corrections and optional. iirc the FSM calls out different shim packs and looks to be only for height adjustment.

on jack stands, get it as high as possible. iirc z51 spring is flatter, and standard spring is curved and needs a little more height for clearance.
I used a $10 harbor freight rotary cut off tool to cut the bracket, worked perfect. That is a critical measurement and cut.
^ Agreed. Did mine without the kit as well just cut the end pads down and the spring cushion. Came out nice.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:39 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

In my opinion the wedges aren’t worth the hassle,I’ve got an adjustable front spring from VB&P.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 AM
LucasMc22
Heel & Toe

Z51JEFF, does VB&P make that front spring anymore? I looked on their website and I think they only make rear ones for C4s now.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering C4 Corvette Front Suspension

Quick Reply: Lowering C4 Corvette Front Suspension