Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear toe rod upgrade without an alignment?

Old 07-10-2019, 09:34 AM
TimV SR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear toe rod upgrade without an alignment?

1990 with coil-overs. Noticed the car feels a little loose recently and was sure I would find a bad wheel bearing. All four are tight- solid at 12 & 6 but I have very slight movement at 3 & 9 on one back wheel. Had another guy feel the toe rod end while I moving the wheel and we think its worn.

I'm looking at an upgraded rear toe rod kit from Banski or similar and wonder if I can do it with out needing an alignment.

Has anyone done this successfully?
Old 07-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Received 386 Likes on 370 Posts

Not advised. If you measure total length tie rod stud to stud and match it you will be close on total toe. The are DIY videos on alignment. Toe wears tires quick when out.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 AM
TimV SR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kevova View Post
Not advised. If you measure total length tie rod stud to stud and match it you will be close on total toe. The are DIY videos on alignment. Toe wears tires quick when out.
I should have worded my question differently: Can I the align the rear toe myself afterwards? I do not have anyone near me I would trust to align this car.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Received 386 Likes on 370 Posts

You can with string, jack stands and a tape measure. There are also a variety of aids available. Google DIY alignment. You still want to get total toe close, then you can tweak it as necessary.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:00 PM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Received 742 Likes on 550 Posts

I've been using this toe gauge for decades. Simple and easy and inexpensive.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:37 PM
C409
CF Senior Member

Received 136 Likes on 122 Posts

….. DIY toe on the front is one thing but on the rear , its another bag of worms … you would need some pretty elaborate strings and jack stands to get the rear thrust angle and toe set properly … find someone with a Hunter Laser rack to do your 4 wheel alignment … be forewarned that the front requires shims and only a select few alignment techs have ever seen them , let alone have them … you might want to pick some up at the local parts house before your alignment appointment … even small changes in the rear geometry can dramatically alter the handling of the car and will quickly kill those fat tires …..
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by C409 View Post
.. DIY toe on the front is one thing but on the rear , its another bag of worms you would need some pretty elaborate strings and jack stands to get the rear thrust angle and toe set properly find someone with a Hunter Laser rack to do your 4 wheel alignment be forewarned that the front requires shims and only a select few alignment techs have ever seen them , let alone have them you might want to pick some up at the local parts house before your alignment appointment even small changes in the rear geometry can dramatically alter the handling of the car and will quickly kill those fat tires ..
I do use a laser sight to make sure the rear thrust angle is correct. Good to 130+ mph and straight launches.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 PM
C409
CF Senior Member

Received 136 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
I do use a laser sight to make sure the rear thrust angle is correct. Good to 130+ mph and straight launches.

.. Annnnd you have a solid rear axle , No IRS no rear camber or toe adjustments ..
Old 07-10-2019, 11:06 PM
TimV SR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies. I'll find someone to do a proper alignment.

This is the car: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...one-right.html

mseven built it and set the suspension up right. Though I never raced it, I have launched it a few times. Very fast and perfectly straight. Mick knew what he was doing and I certainly don't want to mess the car up.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM
383vett
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by C409 View Post
.. Annnnd you have a solid rear axle , No IRS no rear camber or toe adjustments ..
I'm living in the past.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:40 AM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

Received 335 Likes on 286 Posts

If the thrust angle is correct now, then you could replace one rear toe link at a time and set total toe in between. Then you'd retain correct thrust angle because you'd only adjust one side at a time. You can also use toe plates to set total toe, which are cheap and effective. That said, I'm not going to talk you out of having someone else align it. However, they need to be willing and able to use the locking collar and turning the tubes on each link to adjust the Banski (or similar) toe link. IOW, it's not the stock kind of adjustment. It's actually way easier, but some shops shy away from non-stock stuff.

I do recommend these rod-end type of rear toe links. The stock cam-style adjustment has a bad habit of slipping, no matter how tightly you crank down on the bolt.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 AM
TimV SR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a Banski kit on the way.

Dias Spring Service in Erie, PA did an alignment on my last C4 around 10 years ago. I remember it being difficult to find someone and Dias was recommended by a Corvette shop in Erie that is now long-gone. Seems like they only had one or two people familiar with C4s and the owner himself did the alignment. I remember him rolling his eyes when I told him the car had a poly bushing kit. He did a great job- the car felt great afterward.
I'll contact them again and post results.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:45 PM
hcbph
CF Senior Member

Received 397 Likes on 376 Posts

I did the whole Banski rear kit 2 years ago. Turns out one of the local Chevy garages has a guy that worked a lot of C4's. I turned my car along with the suspension settings I wanted used to him. I spent some time talking to him before taking the car down explaining and showing info on the Banski stuff. When I got it back, he said it was one of the easiest ones to align he'd come up against.

I spent a lot of time ahead of time getting settings as close as possible but the alignment was well worth it. Picture was taken mid upgrade, I had the various angles and locations via the plumb bobs that was my starting point when reassembled, did one side at a time.

Last edited by hcbph; 07-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
TimV SR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

To follow up:

Installed the Banski C4 Toe Rod Kit yesterday. Very easy to do. I had the car up in the air, but dropped it down until some weight was on the rear wheels to hold them in place. I used a puller to pop the ends out- they would have popped out with a tap of a hammer, but I was trying not to move the wheel. After bolting the center part and rods to the diff, I adjusted each toe rod until the outer Heim joint slid into place. I'm hoping the wheels are close enough to give me a little time before getting the alignment. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet.
Here is the result: Note the labels are conveniently facing the camera. Actually the one on the driver side ended up there but the passenger side was turned 1/4 turn for the picture. I put back where it was afterwards.

Old Today, 08:07 AM
hcbph
CF Senior Member

Received 397 Likes on 376 Posts

Looks good, I'm sure you're going to enjoy the difference in the way the car drives and rides. One additional thing I did because at times I'm a nervous Nelly, I made a jig and drilled each bolt for a cotter key. I didn't use a castle nut on every bolts, but did add a cotter key to each bolt to prevent them from ever falling off. Have not had an issue with the nuts coming loose but it gives me a bit of a warm and fuzzy feeling to know the nuts can't fall off over time.

PS I recommend the Banski kits, well worth the time and money IMO. I have no connection to Banski, other than having put the hardware on my car.
I will offer 2 cents worth of advise for anyone looking at the camber rod kits. I can't remember the exact measurements, but the fitting for the bottom knuckle is IIRC 1.7" while the knuckle opening on my 86 was 1.65". I had to reduce the dimensions of the cones that .05" to get them to fit. Not a big deal but took a while to figure out why they didn't fit initially.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear toe rod upgrade without an alignment?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: